Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

It's True: EA Limiting Star Wars: The Old Republic Pre-Orders

• 177 results
    Ghostin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#151  Edited By Ghostin

The real cynical view is that by limiting the initial run nobody can point to the numbers, compare it to WoW and call it a failure straight out of the gate. 
    DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#152  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Didn't have much hope for this game after the videos any way.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#153  Edited By probablytuna

Limit or no limit, people in areas other than North America and Europe miss out on the initial launch anyway (without importing).

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#154  Edited By Funkydupe
    @Ghostin said:
    The real cynical view is that by limiting the initial run nobody can point to the numbers, compare it to WoW and call it a failure straight out of the gate. 
    There's a lot to this "cynical view". It is the most probable answer. Now they are making more money on pre-orders than they normally would, because I am sure the announcement to halt sales does the opposite just like they planned it.  It doesn't really affect who buys it as much as when they buy it. I think those who planned to go out and get it Day 1 pre-orders it instead to ensure access on launch and the period beyond that. It doesn't make a lot of difference.  

EA can say this, and not follow up on it. If servers happens to be the issue, then it'll back-fire on them. If there are other issues non-related on the day of release, it might not be a factor that they limited the number of players at all. All EA is doing is to talk about eventual scenarios. The "possibility" of having to stop people from buying the game. 

I'm going to side with those who think this is just talk to get the title back in the head-lines across the web. It is a smart move in that regard, and as we speak they are selling copies and no actual actions towards limiting sales have been set in motion. Business as usual.  

With regards to World of Warcraft: 
    I don't think anything can compare to WoW's immediate and progressive success in the MMO space. That game really main-streamed the genre, we should appreciate that, but I don't think that so many will rally behind one MMORPG like that again in a long time. It needs to be really new and special for that to happen I think. Guild Wars 2 isn't that new game, nor is The Secret World or The Old Republic. We're talking beyond those titles.
    Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#155  Edited By Mars_Cleric

maybe there is no limit but they want people to think there is.

that way people will think it's very exclusive and want to get in quickly.

devious

TanoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By TanoPrime

You see, Kyle.  If we limit the amount of people who get in the theme park, then more people will want in and ???  Profit.
    Beauty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Beauty

Who is the "competition"? WOW?

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By penguindust

I read on Kotaku, EA made this decision was because they wanted to avoid the 3 to 7 hour queues that Aion and Rifts encountered during their launches.  It makes sense to me.  I don't plan to play TOR for 3 months after launch anyway.  If it is still going strong, I'll jump on board.  Community is paramount to an MMO in my opinion and if it's too sparse then the game doesn't provide much of an MMO experience.  I might still check it out as a single-player game, but there's no rush to log on at that point.  Might as well pick it up cheap.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#159  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Beauty said:

Who is the "competition"? WOW?

I think they're mainly afraid of WoW launching another expansion pack to directly compete with them. It would hurt them a lot.

There's also another very big MMO coming out shortly that they should be very afraid of. It's not as big a name, but the amount of positive feedback and word of mouth it's getting (as opposed to the amount of naysayers TOR has) is going to help a lot, and the pricing structure alone is going to bring in a lot of players who would rather not pay a monthly subscription.

But I don't really blame them for this move, I do think it's mainly being done to ease server stress. Better to let a smaller number of players actually be able to enjoy it, than having millions come and having it crash and burn.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Nekroskop

Between this and not having it available on steam, EA are dooming themselves and Bioware. See you later, Spacecowboy...

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#161  Edited By DarkbeatDK

I think it's a great idea. I've got myself a pre-order and am excited about the prospect of not having to wait hours on a server cue to play.

It's impossible to get a launch crowd to even out smoothly across servers in any MMORPG so I think this is a nice way to do it.

It's also a nice way to build hype for a game by going about how limited it is, which certainly is something other publishers have done before, but it's nice that someone is upfront about it for once.

Also, I believe that we are but a few days off from an official word on the launch date, what with them appearing at PAX and telling about everything as their twitter message mentioned.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#162  Edited By Sooty

I honestly see TOR doing quite poorly. I think a lot of players will play it just to finish the individual stories; treating it like a single player game then they will unsubscribe. I predict decent out of the gate sales but a huge drop off once the first free month is over.

Guild Wars 2 is going to be the real WoW competitor. It has no monthly subscription, that is one huge selling point especially today with the rise of f2p games. (though, GW2 isn't technically f2p as you do have to buy it first, but you know what I mean)

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Meowshi
    @Ygg said:
    I honestly see TOR doing quite poorly. I think a lot of players will play it just to finish the individual stories; treating it like a single player game then they will unsubscribe. I predict decent out of the gate sales but a huge drop off once the first free month is over. Guild Wars 2 is going to be the real WoW competitor. It has no monthly subscription, that is one huge selling point especially today with the rise of f2p games. (though, GW2 isn't technically f2p as you do have to buy it first, but you know what I mean)
    Except Guild Wars doesn't have the Star Wars intellectual property and the Bioware name recognition.  That will go along way.
    Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Meowshi
    @CL60 said:
    @Kombat said:

@Ezekeilpurger said:

This game is going to be such a colossal failure oh my god.

Based on what, other than Jeff Gerstmann's total disregard for the Star Wars brand?

And MMOs in general.
    Love this quote tree.
    dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By dvorak

I love the line about tipping off the competition. I'm pretty sure Blizzard and every other MMO company knows exactly everything about SWTOR already.

I don't understand the complaint about the game not being available on Steam either. WoW certainly isn't on Steam and it's doing fine. I think a lot of people are severely doubting the huge draw that Star Wars will offer regardless of anything else.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#166  Edited By CL60
    @Buckfitches said:

The game is apparently quite mediocre and derivative, if all the beta players are to be believed, but it's still hyped to hell and back.

This is recipe for disaster, and EA isn't fucking helping.

The vast majority of the beta testers that speak about the game say they love it, what are you talking about? Stop making shit up just to further your argument of "This game sucks"
    Forum_User

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Forum_User
    @TanoPrime said:
    You see, Kyle.  If we limit the amount of people who get in the theme park, then more people will want in and ???  Profit.
    It doesn't even matter how good or bad the rides actually are.   We're Bioware.  People will just be excited to know that they can pick between multiple rides by filling out one of our park's numerous lengthy and mostly pointless questionnaires!
    Forum_User

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Forum_User
    @Buckfitches said:

The game is apparently quite mediocre and derivative, if all the beta players are to be believed, but it's still hyped to hell and back.

No way, man! It has lightsabers. And Wookies!  And bounty hunters.  And the Force!  Have you been waiting for a game where you can use the Force just like your favorite Star Wars characters?  Now you can.  The Force!  In a video game!  Finally!   And do you like text trees? If you've been thinking to yourself for all of these years, "Man, the only thing really missing from MMOs is lots of dialog options with really detailed facial animations," then my boy, you're in luck.
    otzlowe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By otzlowe

I used to be excited for this game. Now I just don't even give a shit. I don't care how good it is; if I play another WoW clone, I think I might go nuts.  

Star Wars is cool and all, but none of the content shown so far has looked exciting. It just looks like WoW with lightsabers and no matter how good the game is, I cannot even comprehend wanting to get entrenched in that (again).

Forum_User

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Forum_User
    @Otzlowe said:
    I used to be excited for this game. Now I just don't even give a shit. I don't care how good it is; if I play another WoW clone, I think I might go nuts.   Star Wars is cool and all, but none of the content shown so far has looked exciting. It just looks like WoW with lightsabers and no matter how good the game is, I cannot even comprehend wanting to get entrenched in that (again).
    But WoW doesn't have spaceships.

Until the next expansion.
    MajorToms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#171  Edited By MajorToms

@Forum_User said:

@Buckfitches said:

No way, man! It has lightsabers. And Wookies! And bounty hunters. And the Force! Have you been waiting for a game where you can use the Force just like your favorite Star Wars characters? Now you can. The Force! In a video game! Finally! And do you like text trees? If you've been thinking to yourself for all of these years, "Man, the only thing really missing from MMOs is lots of dialog options with really detailed facial animations," then my boy, you're in luck.

This is bioware were talking about... Highly detailed facial animations isn't a thing with Bioware games. At least not yet. Still looks like muppets.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#172  Edited By Levio

People love to hate MMO's. I don't know why, considering there are so many other bad games out there. So, so many.

thenexus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#173  Edited By thenexus
    @outerabiz said:
    i will laugh my ass off, if the game gets mediocre reviews and this stunt will that mean EA is cutting profit from all the early adopters, who buy it at launch instead of waiting for a review.
    Everyone best hope it does not go under soon after launch because it is Bioware we talking about here. If they they go under all the cool stuff they are making will go with them.
    Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#174  Edited By Davvyk

Smart plan and something we will see more and more with MMO launches.

UchihaMatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By UchihaMatt

Just to be clear, the reason they're having a limited launch, is to prevent those annoying server queues that always come about during the launch of a new MMO. Or even more annoying to some, the opening of new servers to deal with these queues. Because once the launch dust settles, those servers become dead zones. Hopefully with this limited launch they'll be better prepared to predict how many people we'll be playing launch day.

Gurlgamer65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Gurlgamer65

I perched ready and got my SWTOR preorder the first hours it was available. No problems or hiccups. I registed my key. I wait. 
     (for teh "clopen Beta phase after stress tests and before lauch official release) 

The key to all this drama and rioting PREORDER and LIMITED RELEASE..which got covered in the stampede dust. 

The "my bad" on EA's part was red zones when they started having faster purchase than they expected and TERRIBLE information and service while BW Dev/Forum communicators were at gamecons with no one to put out fires when the first problems came through. 
    But though it was a mess, it was nothing to order the Tin Foil hats over..not as of yet. Does this guy have  asecret source in EA that is his borther in law that wil be fired later? 
    WE know who the "bad/corporate guys are already thx. If our intrepid reporter can tell me who the GREAT company is...now Great company with subcription model MMO...now great company with subscription MMO over 70k members (other than first 3 months of launch) well I'll thro my support their way. Geez I remember the QQ about WoW back when. LOL Sheeple still stampede at thunder.
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

One problem with doing this is that it can be exploited.

Some jackhole from Jerk Water, USA will buy up a hoard of these
    pre-orders & resell it at a higher price to manipulate the market
    for a tidy profit.

I think I'll just wait until the dust settles before screwing with the
    game, assuming I'll care by then.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.