Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Jump Shots... Or how responsive are the controls?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

While I got an invite, I still haven't received my weekend pass and I fear I might be left out once again this weekend. I've one question that's foremost on my mind. Jump shots! Do SW:TOR's jumping mechanics allow for instantaneously usable skills to be shot at the apex of a jump to back of the direction I travel?

WoW is pretty much the only MMORPG which gets this right. Hell - even many shooters don't do decent jumping mechanics anymore. Many give players full momentum control mid-air; a circumstance which just feels plain wrong and removes jump shots from the game. So how is it? Does SW:TOR feel natural and responsive according to my preference and standard of 'Jump Shots'?

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By plop1920

Jump shooting is a waste of time! You can just strafe run away and still hit the target

Anyway, while its movement doesn't feel as good as in WoW, you can jump shot kite, at least I was able to as a inquistor (never got around to playing the other classes)

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By Seppli

@plop1920 said:

Jump shooting is a waste of time! You can just strafe run away and still hit the target

Anyway, while its movement doesn't feel as good as in WoW, you can jump shot kite, at least I was able to as a inquistor (never got around to playing the other classes)

Sure you can, but jump shots are my standard of judging movement in a MMORPG, hence the question.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

It being included would be awesome, WoW has such a fluid feel to it that amazes me every time I log in really.
    We'll find out soon enough.

Blackmoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Blackmoore

I played last weekend as an Imperial Agent and unfortunatelz, I felt that the movement was not as fluid as WoW - especially jumping. Movement felt...odd. Not slow, but maybe a tad unresponsive. Could be just server lag.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By thehexeditor

@Blackmoore said:

I played last weekend as an Imperial Agent and unfortunatelz, I felt that the movement was not as fluid as WoW - especially jumping. Movement felt...odd. Not slow, but maybe a tad unresponsive. Could be just server lag.

Also played and completely agree with you. I have a bit of a conspiracy theory that this is actually one of the main reasons that TOR will not surpass WoW.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Latency will always be a problem with MMOs and a big factor when trying to jump shoot, of course the controls also plays a major part, but if the game thinks you are somewhere else than you think you are, you would never be able to jump shoot.

Unfortunately it seems TOR have some problems with either unresponsive controls or latency, which both needs to fixed if it wants to compete on the MMO market.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Beaudacious

To me jump shots have always been a blatant reminder of a broken game mechanic. The fact that there's no auto-attack in swtor, would probably mean that even if jump shots were possible Bioware wouldn't allow it to take place. They're all big about "connecting you to the action" in a meaningful way. Also i've seen mobs hit players through walls to prevent los abuse, and a lot of elite mobs have abilities that root, or "charge" the player to prevent kiting.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By project343

Feels a lot like WoW and Rift. I'm not a crazy PVP hardcore guy. I don't do this ridiculous jump-shot gameplay min-maxing nonsense. But it feels very similar to Rift with regards to general gameplay responsiveness.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

So CounterStrike bunny hopping is still applicable somewhere.

Rawson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Rawson

Considering they ripped everything else off of WoW, I don't see why they wouldn't do this element as well.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By CL60
    @Rawson said:

Considering they ripped everything else off of WoW, I don't see why they wouldn't do this element as well.

Oh look, it's that terrible argument that makes no sense again.  

"This game has similar combat, EVERYTHING IS RIPPED FROM WOW!!!!"
    Rawson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rawson

@CL60 said:

@Rawson said:

Yes, the combat. AKA, 99% of everything you do in every MMO ever. But I guess a half-assed (literally, half of the Mass Effect wheel) conversation system makes it suddenly a genius decision?

That doesn't even excuse that the quest objectives themselves all boiled down to your standard MMO "kill X of these guys/right-click on Y things/get Z items."

Edit: Seriously, how does the argument make no sense? We lump Red Dead Redemption and Saints Row into the same boat as Grand Theft Auto, and they've got a lot more differences between themselves than TOR and WoW. If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and involves pressing 1-2-3-4 on my keyboard until I die from boredom like a duck...

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Marz
    @Seppli: after playing imperial agent for awhile,  i can confirm that jump shot is intact.  I played hunter a good bit in WoW and learned to use that tactic for kiting pretty well.
    FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By FateOfNever

@Rawson said:

@CL60 said:

@Rawson said:

Yes, the combat. AKA, 99% of everything you do in every MMO ever. But I guess a half-assed (literally, half of the Mass Effect wheel) conversation system makes it suddenly a genius decision?

That doesn't even excuse that the quest objectives themselves all boiled down to your standard MMO "kill X of these guys/right-click on Y things/get Z items."

Edit: Seriously, how does the argument make no sense? We lump Red Dead Redemption and Saints Row into the same boat as Grand Theft Auto, and they've got a lot more differences between themselves than TOR and WoW. If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and involves pressing 1-2-3-4 on my keyboard until I die from boredom like a duck...

Hold on, let me boil every genre of game down for you - "Follow this fixed storyline path until you win." "Shoot dude in face to win." "Stab dudes to win." "Solve this puzzle to win." Well shit, games are pretty boring, huh? You don't believe me? Go play the original DOOM. Now go play MW3. I bet you're still doing the exact same thing of shooting dudes to win. Shit, Skyrim even uses that same formula for questing, and yet people can't stop talking about how much content it has and how much they love it. Explain that one to me, if "kill x number of guys or collect x number of something" is so old and boring and doesn't cut it anymore, why does Skyrim get away with it?

Edit: If you're going to try and say that GTA, RDR, and SR are all drastically different games than what ToR and WoW are, then you are not ACTUALLY comparing ToR and WoW, you are only comparing the parts of them that you want to compare, not the total packages.

Rawson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rawson

@FateOfNever said:

@Rawson said:

@CL60 said:

@Rawson said:

Hold on, let me boil every genre of game down for you - "Follow this fixed storyline path until you win." "Shoot dude in face to win." "Stab dudes to win." "Solve this puzzle to win." Well shit, games are pretty boring, huh? You don't believe me? Go play the original DOOM. Now go play MW3. I bet you're still doing the exact same thing of shooting dudes to win. Shit, Skyrim even uses that same formula for questing, and yet people can't stop talking about how much content it has and how much they love it. Explain that one to me, if "kill x number of guys or collect x number of something" is so old and boring and doesn't cut it anymore, why does Skyrim get away with it?

Edit: If you're going to try and say that GTA, RDR, and SR are all drastically different games than what ToR and WoW are, then you are not ACTUALLY comparing ToR and WoW, you are only comparing the parts of them that you want to compare, not the total packages.

I'm giving TOR shit because of the way this particular formula's designed. Skyrim gets a pass because - while the system may be a bit simplistic - it's fundamentally engaging. I don't find EQ/WoW/DikuMUD MMOs engaging anymore. It's that simple, and yes, totally subjective. I admit that I'm influenced heavily by the fact that I've played a ton of MMOs, and am incredibly jaded to the whole concept. I think I can see the strings being pulled and what these games boil down to, and I don't find enough in TOR to separate it from the formula that I've found so incredibly stale. At this point, if I had to choose a Star Wars MMO to play, I'd rather go with old-school SWG. While it had problems everywhere you look, at least it tried to do things a bit differently.

As for the GTA/RDR/SR comment, I was trying to say that people accept those comparisons. However, the moment you say, "Hey, guys? TOR borrows a lot from WoW." or "Hey, guys? You remember what happened when we all got excited for Age of Conan/Warhammer Online/Lord of the Rings Online/Rift/Aion/etc." you find yourself with people jumping down your throat over how you're a terrible person for daring to say that The Holy One could be derivative and might not be worth the ridiculous amount of hype it generates.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By FateOfNever

@Rawson said:

@FateOfNever said:

@Rawson said:

@CL60 said:

@Rawson said:

I'm giving TOR shit because of the way this particular formula's designed. Skyrim gets a pass because - while the system may be a bit simplistic - it's fundamentally engaging. I don't find EQ/WoW/DikuMUD MMOs engaging anymore. It's that simple, and yes, totally subjective. I admit that I'm influenced heavily by the fact that I've played a ton of MMOs, and am incredibly jaded to the whole concept. I think I can see the strings being pulled and what these games boil down to, and I don't find enough in TOR to separate it from the formula that I've found so incredibly stale. At this point, if I had to choose a Star Wars MMO to play, I'd rather go with old-school SWG. While it had problems everywhere you look, at least it tried to do things a bit differently.

As for the GTA/RDR/SR comment, I was trying to say that people accept those comparisons. However, the moment you say, "Hey, guys? TOR borrows a lot from WoW." or "Hey, guys? You remember what happened when we all got excited for Age of Conan/Warhammer Online/Lord of the Rings Online/Rift/Aion/etc." you find yourself with people jumping down your throat over how you're a terrible person for daring to say that The Holy One could be derivative and might not be worth the ridiculous amount of hype it generates.

Now see, I kind of get where you're coming from. I certainly don't disagree that there could, and even really SHOULD, be MMO's out there that offer a different experience from what WoW does. You don't want every game to be the same (i.e. if every shooter is built just like Modern Warfare, then it all just feels bogged down and boring.) At the same time, however, I think part of the problem, or, at least the defensiveness that people have about saying MMO's need to change is that it is often expressed with a tone of "these games can't survive anymore." Where as those that want to defend the 'standard' MMO style still genuinely enjoy that experience, and don't see why their game needs to stop existing just because others don't like it (or like it anymore.) There's room in the market for this style of play still, I think, and 10 million some odd WoW subscribers sort of supports that belief, or, at least gives it some amount of credibility. But yeah, especially for the "people being TOO defensive on change" thing, I get. Hell, I remember when ToR started gaining even the slightest amount of hype and started touting what changes it was making to the standard formula, the voice acting, the class storylines, the no-auto attacks, the companions, so on, so forth, and even then there were a lot of people who all but scoffed at the idea that ANY of that was even remotely wanted by anyone or that any of it was even possibly good innovations. Admittedly, now, you still have people saying "well that's just not enough change!" but, I digress. What I do mean to say, in the end, is that there's still currently room for the standard MMO, so long as it actually tries to grow the genre and add noticeable changes, even if they are small, but there is ALSO room for MMO's that are completely different and take huge risks that might or might not pay off at all. So can't we all get along?

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dezztroy

@Rawson said:

WoW "ripped" everything off of Everquest 2, so your point is moot.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pinworm45

You can jump shot. It's also responsive enough to do the "right click-drag-ability-drag back and continue" thing.

The response isn't as good as WoW, but it's good enough to do this stuff. It's way better than Warhammer AoR

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.