Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Mac release?

LocoRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By LocoRocker

Any news or speculation?

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By dsplayer1010

I hope so

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By maxszy

Haven't heard anything about this, but speculation would cause me to say perhaps. I am not sure if BioWare has a history of doing that, but considering WoW and Blizzard does it... I think they will probably follow that role.

altdimension

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By altdimension

I wouldn't rule it out, I mean there's MMO's for Mac, most notably WoW but smaller MMO's have been offered; like EVE. I guess it depends on what type of Graphics technology it runs on (can you run direct X games on mac?)

Having said that, OS x 10.5 comes with boot camp, so you can run windows natively enabling you to play any Windows games you'd want.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Scooper

My guess would be that they eventualy put it out on Mac but not at launch with Windows.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By maxszy
    @Scooper said:
    " My guess would be that they eventualy put it out on Mac but not at launch with Windows. "
    While this would make sense, Blizzard puts out a Mac and Windows version at the same time on the same exact discs? Why would BioWare do this part of the game differently? I think if they are going to do it at all, it will probably be at the same time. Not to alienate anyone to start.

But as AltDimension stated, with the ability to boot windows simultaneously with a Mac, I don't think there's an issue running it no matter your system.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Scooper
    @Maxszy said:
    "
    @Scooper said:
    " My guess would be that they eventualy put it out on Mac but not at launch with Windows. "
    While this would make sense, Blizzard puts out a Mac and Windows version at the same time on the same exact discs? Why would BioWare do this part of the game differently? I think if they are going to do it at all, it will probably be at the same time. Not to alienate anyone to start.But as AltDimension stated, with the ability to boot windows simultaneously with a Mac, I don't think there's an issue running it no matter your system. "
    You're probably right since Blizzard and BioWare share the same mentality of only putting a game out when it's done so a simultaneous release isn't as far-fetched as I first thought.
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8  Edited By Cerza
    @AltDimension said:
    "Having said that, OS x 10.5 comes with boot camp, so you can run windows natively enabling you to play any Windows games you'd want. "
    Most games run like shit though. I dunno if it's the GPU Apple uses or what, but my experience with my MacBook Pro is that the boot camp thing is not really a viable way to game on a Mac. It's just good for running the occassionally needed Windows only application.

I agree with you that I wouldn't rule out a Mac release though. I mean Bioware is owned by EA now and EA has released most of their other stuff for Mac. Well all their big stuff anyway. 
    altdimension

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By altdimension
    @Cerza said:
    "
    @AltDimension said:
    "Having said that, OS x 10.5 comes with boot camp, so you can run windows natively enabling you to play any Windows games you'd want. "
    Most games run like shit though. I dunno if it's the GPU Apple uses or what, but my experience with my MacBook Pro is that the boot camp thing is not really a viable way to game on a Mac. It's just good for running the occassionally needed Windows only application.I agree with you that I wouldn't rule out a Mac release though. I mean Bioware is owned by EA now and EA has released most of their other stuff for Mac. Well all their big stuff anyway.  "
    Ah, really? Guess it's the same as running Windows XP on Windows 7 (which at present works like crap). Yeah, I get what you mean, and it would be in the best interest of the publish to put it out for both, and with the Mac's increasing user base it could be very profitable for them.

As @scooper said chances are it'll be on Windows at launch with a Mac client to follow... Pending the games success I suppose.
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Nasar7
    @Cerza: Do you use XP or Vista for bootcamp? I remember I tried gaming with Vista back in 07 but it was horrible. After I replaced it with XP I've played CoD4, Bioshock, Mass Effect, and Cod: WaW with no problem.

@LocoRocker: They probably will, WoW is huge on the Mac and I can't see them not wanting the same for their game.

LocoRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LocoRocker

I've been using Bootcamp on my MBP for a while now for all things Steam and it actually works flawlessly. I guess I'm just too lazy for this constant switching now that Mac is my main OS. So a Mac release would be very welcome.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cerza
    @Nasar7 said:
    " @Cerza: Do you use XP or Vista for bootcamp? I remember I tried gaming with Vista back in 07 but it was horrible. After I replaced it with XP I've played CoD4, Bioshock, Mass Effect, and Cod: WaW with no problem.

@LocoRocker: They probably will, WoW is huge on the Mac and I can't see them not wanting the same for their game.

"
    I use XP. I hate Vista with a passion. Vista is what made me switch from Windows to Mac. Also, how did you get those games to play properly? Because they were among the slew of games I tried (Oblivion, Mass Effect, Half Life 2, Counter Strike Source, Bioshock, Call of Duty 2 & 4, LOTRO, Fallout 3 to name a few) and the only ones I could get to run properly were either super optimized (Guild Wars for example), or old (Morrowind, UT1, Quake 3 for example). I was getting terrible FPS and/or dropping frames in games that were either new, or recent and I wasn't playing them on high or max settings.
    Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

I was shoehorned into getting Vista (don't ask), and despite a year of major frustration, it now works pretty well. Also, I'm running Bootcamp on a MBP. The games I run on here have all worked flawlessly (Oblivion, Mass Effect, L4D, Orange Box, and other Steam stuff), and as an architecture student, I'm constantly using 3d modeling and rendering programs and have never had an issue. I mean, I've had issues with the program, rendering 500mb files for 20 hours multiple times is liable to cause some major headaches and heartaches, but it's never been at the fault of the laptop (I'm not sure what would have more success, beyond a dedicated desktop which just isn't practical as a student) so much as a file issue, setting issue, or the like.

Brontes_Muse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Brontes_Muse

I think it'll come out for the Mac.  EA's been good with the mac stuff.  EA's also making an old republic iphone game.  Bioware hasn't released anything on the mac, but Microsoft is no longer their publisher. 

fingofongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By fingofongo

I am amazed that this thread is 14 posts deep yet no one has said "lol mac gaming" yet

But yeah I hope this comes to OS X

I'm bootcamping XP on my MBP, but games don't run as well as I had hoped. 
    akfresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By akfresh

Pretty please Bioware.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Lies

Hopefully it comes to Mac, I would really like to be able to play this game.

Volgin13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Volgin13

Hopefully in the next interview these guys get they'll ask them. I'm a huge Star Wars fan and KOTOR is one of my favorite games of all time. I had been waiting for KOTOR 3. EA has released major properties onto mac like Medal of Honor, Sims, Spore, Command and Conquer, and also Warhammer Online. 

By the way KOTOR is available on Mac.  
    http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Knights-Old-Republic-Mac/dp/B00027IOEU/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1260137455&sr=8-7

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By captain_clayman

probably 
    i mean, WoW's doing it, Warhammer's doing it, C & C, Sims, Spore, they're all doing it 
    why not SWTOR?

Osphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By Osphere

It makes sense, from a business perspective.  Blizzard has fostered the growth of a Mac MMO community over the past 5 years (which has been in conjunction with the growth of the Mac platform in general), and TOR would be the first alternative to come along that is to any degree comparable in quality and value.  I'd wager that a large chunk of that established base would at least be curious to try it out after five years of effectively having WoW serve as the singular pillar of Mac gaming.   

Though if Bioware does decide to do this, I hope that it isn't a clunky port, like those often shelled out through Aspyr.

Von

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Von
    @captain_clayman said:
    " probably i mean, WoW's doing it, Warhammer's doing it, C & C, Sims, Spore, they're all doing it why not SWTOR? "
    I hope not, if they're going to do it like 'all of them'. Of all those games, only WoW (and maybe Warhammer, haven't looked it up) runs with a truly native application. The rest of them is ciderized versions of Windows games and they run much slower and lacks some graphical effects. The worst offender is Sims 3, which doesn't support anti-aliasing and some lighting effects plus it's not optimized at ALL which adds to the general sluggishness.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Von said:
    " @captain_clayman said:
    " probably i mean, WoW's doing it, Warhammer's doing it, C & C, Sims, Spore, they're all doing it why not SWTOR? "
    I hope not, if they're going to do it like 'all of them'. Of all those games, only WoW (and maybe Warhammer, haven't looked it up) runs with a truly native application. The rest of them is ciderized versions of Windows games and they run much slower and lacks some graphical effects. The worst offender is Sims 3, which doesn't support anti-aliasing and some lighting effects plus it's not optimized at ALL which adds to the general sluggishness. "
    Yeah Warhammer's  Mac release was a while ago, and they did it right too. You could automatically download the game free for Mac if you had already bought it for windows, now that's service.
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By captain_clayman
    @Von said:
    " @captain_clayman said:
    I hope not, if they're going to do it like 'all of them'. Of all those games, only WoW (and maybe Warhammer, haven't looked it up) runs with a truly native application. The rest of them is ciderized versions of Windows games and they run much slower and lacks some graphical effects. The worst offender is Sims 3, which doesn't support anti-aliasing and some lighting effects plus it's not optimized at ALL which adds to the general sluggishness. "
    a native port would be awesome, but a cider port, eh at least you get the general experience.

i do respect blizzard for making fully functional, NATIVE ports for all of their games, and it'd be SUPER cool if bioware started doing that too.  the mac market is starting to grow, game devs can't keep denying it FOREVER.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#24  Edited By the8bitNacho

I hope so.  MMOs make more sense to release on a platform with a smaller install base compared to other computer games due to the subscription fee.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Geno

Can Macs even run this game? They basically don't even have graphics cards. 

grotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By grotto
    @Geno said:
    " Can Macs even run this game? They basically don't even have graphics cards.  "
    Macs definitely have graphics cards - iMac offers intel i5 and i7 w/ ATI 4850 on the iMac.  My next computer by the way - with the 27 inch screen.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Geno
    @grotto said:
    " @Geno said:
    " Can Macs even run this game? They basically don't even have graphics cards.  "
    Macs definitely have graphics cards - iMac offers intel i5 and i7 w/ ATI 4850 on the iMac.  My next computer by the way - with the 27 inch screen. "

I was being slightly sarcastic.
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Systech

Man, I hope so. It probably will, but likely a few months from its PC release.

j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By j_drace

I too am hoping for a Mac release since I prefer it over windows and use a Logitech Di Novo Edge wireless keyboard and Apple Magic Mouse, which are both not supported in XP so I would have to change my keyboard and mouse every time I'd want to play the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.