Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

New Guilds or Revive Kessler Run and GLHB?

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By SmasheControllers

With SWTOR going Free to Play next week I know a lot of people who haven't played before will want to check out this game. Additionally Veteren players like myself are gonna come back and check out the game again. A big reason I ended up liking this game so much was the fact that Kessler Run was a great guild and had a ton of great guild members that I enjoyed logging on and just talking to. So I'm basically asking if anyone is interested in starting a new guild for each faction or reviving the old Giantbomb guilds once SWTOR goes free to ply next week.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By kagato

Ive been going back and forward from the game since beta so count me in for an empire guild, i was a member of Kessler Run but since all the server stuff happend its been near impossible to find anyone on there now. I know another couple of players in real life who would like to get back in, they only check GB about once a week so ill flag this up to them.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Fredchuckdave

I'd be interested though no clue when I'll start playing.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By nightriff

I've considered playing but aren't the FtP stuff constraining on anyone who isn't paying, like limiting how much you can do a day and stuff like that? That was my understanding and put me off on trying it.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By project343

@Nightriff said:

I've considered playing but aren't the FtP stuff constraining on anyone who isn't paying, like limiting how much you can do a day and stuff like that? That was my understanding and put me off on trying it.

There are quite a few limitations.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@Nightriff: The limitations aren't all that significant for a new player. Limited access to Warzones is pretty meaningless considering SWTOR's PvP is so similar to WoW's already poor PvP (granted low level is much better than high level), you can still do flashpoints and most importantly you can do the main questlines which are by all accounts the best part of the game. For a "casual" or leveling guild it wouldn't be all that much of an issue.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By connerthekewlkid

ill get back on i think my old character is still in kessler run

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By SmasheControllers

The Shadowlands is the current server I'm on.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Turambar

@project343 said:

@Nightriff said:

Some of those restrictions. Man. Man.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By nightriff

@Turambar said:

@project343 said:

@Nightriff said:

So I'm looking at those and since I've never played an mmo before (3 hours of WoW is all my experience) I don't quite get them and how they limit you. I would be playing this for the campaign alone and if the guild does something that is fun would be the only reasons to play. How would that limit me in my experience? I assume the story you have to be a certain level to continue but if I can only do X amount of quests a day or week or whatever then it's going to take a lot longer to go through the story where I would just want to cruise through it.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Turambar

@Nightriff said:

@Turambar said:

@project343 said:

@Nightriff said:

So I'm looking at those and since I've never played an mmo before (3 hours of WoW is all my experience) I don't quite get them and how they limit you. I would be playing this for the campaign alone and if the guild does something that is fun would be the only reasons to play. How would that limit me in my experience? I assume the story you have to be a certain level to continue but if I can only do X amount of quests a day or week or whatever then it's going to take a lot longer to go through the story where I would just want to cruise through it.

Some of them are more noticeable to someone that has played the game before it went F2P, but here are some examples that everyone can relate to.

Free players are restricted from equipping most higher tier weapons and armor.

Limit on rewards from flashpoints, which are basically the end game group dungeons.

Zero access to operations, which are larger 8-16 player dungeons.

One thing that raises my eyebrow as a previous player is the restriction on space missions. There are daily missions that asks you to do 2 or 3 specific space missions. There's more than a dozen in all, iirc. Now they are restricting free players to 3 per week.

I suspect even if you are going to solo through the game for the most part, that top line there is going to seem kind of crazy.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Wuddel

The F2P accounts basically are getting a solo-game to play through the personal story line. Which is arguably the biggest strength of SWTOR. You kind of need a subscription to make it a full MMO. However, there is a middle tier which they omit here. "Preferred Status" - I think it has some restrictions lifted, and applied to everyone who ever had a subscription of spend 5 bucks in the store.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Snail

I don't have an urge to go download this even knowing that it's about to go free-to-play. I kind of wish I had. Can anyone sell me on this game?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By BisonHero
    @Turambar

@project343 said:

@Nightriff said:

"Cannot equip most purple items." Hahahahahaha, man, what a bunch of dicks.
    Anomareh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Anomareh

I think the only way they could make the microtransactions any worse is if it was pay to win. It's like they're trying to make the game fail even harder.

Troispoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Troispoint

@Anomareh: They're already giving you hundreds of hours story content for free. They want you to spend money. Thats kind of the point.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Wuddel

@Anomareh: You can buy the "equip purple items" perk separately. Also you do not need them for the story. SWTOR is an easy game for the most part. Underleveled green gear, you pick up along the way, will allow you to see the whole story.

Anomareh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Anomareh

@Troispoint: There are plenty of ways to implement microtransactions in a way that isn't completely disgusting. Requiring a weekly pass to do just about anything besides the main story is pretty ridiculous (the issue with it being weekly).

@Wuddel: As absurd as it is, it's not nearly the most egregious of the restrictions.

Troispoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Troispoint

@Anomareh: Whats the alternative then? Not making you pay for most of the game? That would be counter-productive for them.

Anomareh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Anomareh

@Troispoint: I don't know, but with weekly passes being required for just about everything they're sure as hell not getting rid of subscriptions. Honestly this comes off as a limited trial with no duration restriction rather than the game going F2P.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By CJduke

@project343 said:

@Nightriff said:

I was going to say it looks like they are doing a great job with separating the free-to-play from the subscriber content, you can reach level cap and none of your story is held back and you can still run some flash points, but then I got to the end and saw you can't equip purple items without paying, thats fucking stupid.

Troispoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Troispoint

@CJduke said:

@project343 said:

@Nightriff said:

I was going to say it looks like they are doing a great job with separating the free-to-play from the subscriber content, you can reach level cap and none of your story is held back and you can still run some flash points, but then I got to the end and saw you can't equip purple items without paying, thats fucking stupid.

@CJduke: You dont need the purple items anyway.

Avatar image for arrested_developer
    Arrested_Developer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in kessler run and I'm willing to send invites to anyone interested. It's on the Shadowlands server and just /who Kessler Run or Threepwood, I'll try to be on as much as possible. If I'm not online drop an email and I'll /who you whenever I log on.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Note evidently you can't /who from a trial account. I'll make a toon there whenever I'm done patching and name it something like bbqsauce; what side?

Avatar image for arrested_developer
    Arrested_Developer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kessler Run is Imperial

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Haven't played in awhile but are a bunch of people jumping back into this?

TimmyChaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By TimmyChaw

I'm in, who's on Harbinger?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.