No love for Star Wars: The Old Republic

• 73 results
#51 Posted by ProfessorEss (7368 posts) -

I wouldn't sweat it. 
MMOs get hate, that's what they do.

#52 Posted by Tennmuerti (8100 posts) -

@Amit said:

@Prodstep: @Prodstep said:

Too similar to World of Warcraft, if VO is all you got then god help you, you did not think this through. That being said I haven't played the game so maybe it is awesome, but I have spent 2 years playing WoW I am done with that, I did my time damnit.

You sir make no sense with that statement. One is a scifi game and other is a fantasy. It making a huge a change in MMORPG by having a proper interactive story with voice. Its like saying Mass effect 3 and Witcher 2 are the same. Anyways , i think RPG gamer are the only group that become too attached to game type. I don't see that with FPS player. A call of duty player still ends up playing Medal of Honor even if its didn't get that high score otherwise Medal of Honor would have never sold over 5 million. FPS player just plays the games and enjoys the genera while a stupid RPG fans gets to attached to one type of game.

Star Wars is not sci-fi, it's fanatsy in space. That's the apeal. Why do you think people screamed bloody murder at midichlorians?

#53 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Fuck what anyone says or thinks, I'm looking forward to this game.

The voice acting alone makes me more interested in doing all the sidemissions/grind quests.
Bringing a companion too, possibly making a very good heal/tank/dps combo with your npc buddy to do awesome missions which feel like singleplayer stuff (the tatooine vid, straightforward cave, dialogue, just enough mobs to complete the quest.

I hate being asked to kill 20 things when there's a max populace of 5 of the said things, waiting for respawns is horrible.

#54 Posted by MachoFantastico (4683 posts) -

Even I've been a bit surprised by how much hate the game is getting, though according to people who have played the game Bioware and EA should not be releasing this game for at least another year. It seems many think that if this wasn't so far into development and had so much money thrown at it, it would have been canned. I'm still fascinated to check it out, more out of my love for Knights of the Old Republic but I can't help but think EA would have done so much better by having Bioware make KOTOR 3 instead of an MMO. That said, I think the storytelling mechanics still look fantastic, it's just the rest of it that's getting so much stick.

One thing is for certain, it'll sell whatever the gaming media thinks of it. Pretty confident in saying it won't be released this year, even the preview builds have looked broken to hell.

#55 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@TrueEnglishGent said:

Even I've been a bit surprised by how much hate the game is getting, though according to people who have played the game Bioware and EA should not be releasing this game for at least another year. It seems many think that if this wasn't so far into development and had so much money thrown at it, it would have been canned. I'm still fascinated to check it out, more out of my love for Knights of the Old Republic but I can't help but think EA would have done so much better by having Bioware make KOTOR 3 instead of an MMO. That said, I think the storytelling mechanics still look fantastic, it's just the rest of it that's getting so much stick.

One thing is for certain, it'll sell whatever the gaming media thinks of it. Pretty confident in saying it won't be released this year, even the preview builds have looked broken to hell.

The stuff they showed at E3 didn't seem broken, it seemed perfectly playable, just had some minor glitches.
#56 Posted by Commander_Pants (10 posts) -

The reason why it's getting so much 'hate' is because EA and Bioware have the resources to create a different MMO, to redefine it. Instead, other than a few changes around how they manage the story they have decided to rehash the UI and combat style from WOW / every other MMO which we have been playing with for the last 5-6 years at least. I think people are just disappointed and expected something else.

#57 Posted by demonbear (1859 posts) -

Plus I don't think people realize how big of a role companions will have in this game. Not only will you have an npc following you around, but he'll actually help you in battle and could even fill out a role in groups. They said that those npc would not be as strong as a real player of course but could still fill a spot if you can't find another player for a group quest for example. Kinda like guild wars but less generic.

I want to play that game soooo badly.

#58 Edited by rmanthorp (3946 posts) -

I personally can't wait! The element of story and parting up with your companions who are fully fleshed out! 

EDIT: Here is my feelings from the other ToR thread. Still stands:  I know it's going up against all mmos but here is the way I see it, WoW is the best mmo and from what I have played and seen ToR does everything WoW does and more with the addition of this fantastic FANTASTIC story. I think people are upset about Kotor3 because they don't want to pay a monthly fee. The action in ToR is about as fast paced as it was in Kotor, but I'm fed of playing an RPG once and never again. if ToR is what is promises to be (Kotor 3-4-5-6 and beyond) I will be so happy and most likely lose my life to it. 

The reason no one mentions the story is beyond me! I heard this from a live E3 QandA were producer Daniel Ericsson spoke about the story of The Trooper class and he said: 
As the Trooper you are part of an elite group of republic soldiers (ala Reach/RC) who are sent on mission of republic order. However, as you do these missions you find yourself at the hands of your leader doing more to stop a larger over arching threat (will not be spoiled) and you are going against Republic orders and doing some dirty shit which you have to choose to take part in or take a back seat (effects your darkside/lightside points) and at a HUGE turning point early in the story (about level 10) you are summoned in front of the council for your actions and you must decide if you want to tell the council what you have been doing (proving your loyalty) or tell them nothing and continue your mission to in the end save them in the war against the empire... 

Personally I think that is FANTASTIC! Like what is the good and bad choice there I love morally grey choices and its what Mass Effect was missing! Lets also be clear here and say if that is just the Trooper story (who is not that important to me) what are the stories like for the other classes like the Jedi and Sith (I already know some of the Sith story about how you plan to kill your master #ohyousith). I just find it weird that press websites have not listened every time Bioware talk about this fourth pillar of story because it is truly what will set it apart.
#59 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

First things first... proper embed player provided by Seppli. Is it really so hard?

#60 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I absolutely agree with the OP. I also believe the story element will grow stronger the further a character progresses. Nobody outside of Bioware has played an entire profession from starting zone to endgame yet. As soon as story starts to involve legendary characters such as Revan and the fate of the galaxy at large - Star Wars actual - shits gonna blow the fuck up storywise.

If SW:TOR will fly for me, in the longterm, I'm still very doubtful of. In the shortterm though, I'm excited to finally play it for myself. I guess it will all depend on the profession-specific storylines for me, since I'm a bit of an alt-o-holic (like 30% of all available quests for one character are unique to that character's profession/class). Of coursse, it's got to be a great feelin' game like WoW - smooth and reactive.

#61 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

Here's my thing. 

I don't like the art style, and because of this, I'm worried that I won't be able to connect with the characters or story. 

I'm basically anxious about whether I can take a dark, engrossing story seriously coming from the mouths of characters who look like they stepped out of Toy Story.

#62 Posted by Matt (963 posts) -

@Meowshi: I understand that the art style may not be your thing but MMOs need stylised graphics to stand the test of time.

#63 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

And for MMOs where story doesn't matter (i.e. all of them) then that would be fine.   

But this game is different.   

It's art style should have probably reflected the seriousness of the narrative.  

#64 Posted by Matt (963 posts) -

@Meowshi: I don't really look at the art style being less serious though, I really like it. By that same token games like Zelda:Wind Waker and Okami would have the same problem.

#65 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

You're comparing Zelda and Okami to a game where you play as a murderous, backstabbing Sith in the galaxy plagued by war and death.   

This sort of proves my point, actually.

#66 Posted by Matt (963 posts) -

@Meowshi: Well you definitely can play that way and lots of other ways that are not all serious in tone.

#67 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@Matt: Prolly becaus it looks dull and boring as hell.. Don't take it the wrong way I like to MMORPG. It is just that the more I see about the Old Republic the less I care about that game.

Don't really know why.. It is probably because I really dislike the "New Star Wars".. it is way to kiddie.

#68 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

I'm not entirely sure how much of the game you've seen, but it all seems pretty serious.  The Jedi classes face very hard decisions and question the very nature of the Force.  The Trooper's story is clearly emulated war movies, and what I've heard about the Imperial Agent seems to imply that it's one of the slimiest, grim stories in the game.  Basically, the tone of this game seems very serious.  Look at the cinematics.  There's very little light-heartedness about it.   

Besides the smuggler, I just see how the art style can do these stories justice.  I'm still hopeful though! 

In the end we will see whether it works or not.

#69 Posted by Matt (963 posts) -

@Meowshi: I've played some of the bounty hunter starting zone and purposely choose the more cheeky dialogue options. Remember that what you have seen is not the only way to approach things. You can be the nicest imperial agent the galaxy has ever seen! The thing is I don't think having stylised graphics and telling a serious story are mutually exclusive, you can have both.

#70 Posted by Jeffsekai (7032 posts) -

That gameplay video really sold me on it, game looks great.

#71 Posted by rmanthorp (3946 posts) -

Personally one of my favourite things about ToR so far is that the major story dungeons are 4 player and can be played with 2 people and 2 AI companions! That is amazing because I don't have any friends! :D

#72 Posted by phish09 (1109 posts) -

I love Bioware and I especially loved KOTOR, but there is no way in hell anyone is ever going to get me to subscribe to A game.  It's just not happening.  Maybe for like $10 a year, if the game went completely beyond any expectation I could possibly have for it, I might consider subscribing for a couple months, but MMO's are not something that interest me in any way, shape or form, and even though this could be the best one ever, I just don't care.  Same as GT5 might be the best racing sim ever...it doesn't matter to me, because I don't like racing sims, so that game is not worth $5 to me.

#73 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@phish09 said:

I love Bioware and I especially loved KOTOR, but there is no way in hell anyone is ever going to get me to subscribe to A game.  It's just not happening.  Maybe for like $10 a year, if the game went completely beyond any expectation I could possibly have for it, I might consider subscribing for a couple months, but MMO's are not something that interest me in any way, shape or form, and even though this could be the best one ever, I just don't care.  Same as GT5 might be the best racing sim ever...it doesn't matter to me, because I don't like racing sims, so that game is not worth $5 to me.

In the age of 'gametime cards', it's really not a big deal. I am way beyond being hardcore hooked by World of Warcraft, but every now and then, even without an expansion, about once a year on average, I'm picking up 60 days of gametime and level a new character for checking out all the new shit. It's like I'm standing at a retail store, looking at all the games on sale, but I'm deciding on that box with the gametime code for Warcraft instead; because at that time, it's what I want from my gaming life.

Look at gametime cards like a retail boxed game. If you dig MMOs you'll get more than your money's worth out of 60 days of gametime. Buying SW:TOR day 1 with 30 days of gametime, you'll get an incredible value out of your purchase, if you intend to play a lot during that time. They say it's like KotORx20 or something. That's a whole lot of game. If you're still hooked after 30 days - buy another 60 days and so forth. Just think of it as 'that new game I'm gonna play this month', because frankly, as long as your hooked good, why wouldn't it be worth the price?
#74 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@Seppli
Well put, exactly how I view and play MMO's.
A subscription fee per month compared to what time and enjoyment I get over it wipes the floor with most fullprice games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.