Not launching in outside Europe and North America

• 55 results
#1 Posted by coakroach (2486 posts) -

http://kotaku.com/5823736/star-wars-the-old-republic-wont-launch-in-asia-australasia 

Really EA? Really? 
Your going to launch this massively expensive game and limit your userbase on day one? 
Asia is a market with incredible potential, but once again you're going to leave the fastest growing region in the world in the dark for... what reason exactly? 
To make sure all efforts to pirate the game get kicked into overdrive? 
Even Warhammer Online launched in Australia, I simply cant comprehend why they would shoot themselves in the foot like this.

#2 Edited by J12088 (434 posts) -

Lucky I'm european.

edit: Also if this really does help the game launch smoothly unlike every other MMO ever then I'm all for it. Good for them. I want a smooth game experience on day 1 not lag and hour long ques and god knows what else. 

...I'll probably still get that but I can dream.

#3 Posted by coakroach (2486 posts) -
@J12088:  The servers would (or should) be separate for each region. 
Actually if people from Asia import the game and only have American or European servers to play on, its probably going to cause even more of a drain.
#4 Edited by Beaudacious (925 posts) -

There is no reason to launch a mmo heavily based in a western franchise in other regions. In terms of Australia, mmo's have always been a shit storm concerning oceanic servers. Am guessing they want absolutely zero negative press, they might release them later into the release cycle.

Edit: EA could chose to only release the game in NA, forget Europe, and still make enough money. Sorry but this the truth.

#5 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Beaudacious said:

There is no reason to launch a mmo heavily based in a western franchise in other regions. In terms of Australia, mmo's have always been a shit storm concerning oceanic servers. Am guessing they want absolutely zero negative press, they might release them later into the release cycle.

Yeah, I believe they are just delaying the Australian release. And as for Asia I can't see a Star Wars MMO selling well in Asian countries anyway. I do believe Australians can import the game though, I don't think the game is region locked.
#6 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

@CL60: Star Wars is incredibly popular in Asia, particularly China and Japan. But this type of MMO isn't, they tend to prefer F2P grindfests. Things like Aion are huge over there.. where as Old Republic and Guild Wars 2 likely won't be.

Really can't fathom why Australia would be left out though.

#7 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:

@CL60

Issues with Oceanic servers most likely. I really doubt it wont ever come out in Australia, it will probably just be delayed.
#8 Posted by probablytuna (3522 posts) -

This just sucks.

#9 Posted by kheldorin (41 posts) -

I'm Singaporean and this sucks but to be honest it isn't really a big deal. It's an MMO that's supposed to last for years so there's no hurry to get a big initial burst of sale. It is more important to make sure the launch goes as smoothly as possible to minimize negative publicity which would hurt the game more in the long-run. I do not think that EA would want to spread their resources out to thin at launch day. And If the NA and Europe release does go well, I personally would be less wary in pre-ordering the Collector's Edition since the NA & EU has proven the game's quality. Maybe I'm pessimistic but launch day for MMOs are always full of issues. So if those issues manage to be resolved once the Oceanic version is out, than I'm all for it. And if they manage to make a deal such that the Oceanic servers are geographically in Oceania to minimize lag unlike WOW. then it's going to be so awesome. 

#10 Posted by Hennet_sim (339 posts) -

It's likely from the voice work in the game.

#11 Posted by buft (3300 posts) -
@Hennet_sim said:
It's likely from the voice work in the game.
not for australia though but i guess they got lumped in with Asia on this, so good point.
#12 Posted by Vexxan (4612 posts) -

Oh EA...this is a bad move.

#13 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

@CL60 said:

Issues with Oceanic servers most likely. I really doubt it wont ever come out in Australia, it will probably just be delayed.

I'm not doubting that it'll be released eventually.. Just hard not to feel sorry for Australians at this point.

Being in the UK, I always thought we got the short end of the stick.

#14 Posted by Animasta (14632 posts) -

@Beaudacious said:

Edit: EA could chose to only release the game in NA, forget Europe, and still make enough money. Sorry but this the truth.

hahahaha this is one of the most expensive game projects ever worked on, are you mad? 300 million, as far as I know, and that was a while ago. no way is this going to make up it's budget

#15 Posted by Jimbo (9767 posts) -

@Beaudacious said:

EA could chose to only release the game in NA, forget Europe, and still make enough money. Sorry but this the truth.

How much money do you suppose is 'enough'?

#16 Posted by ajamafalous (11793 posts) -

@CL60 said:

I do believe Australians can import the game though, I don't think the game is region locked.

How would you region lock a PC game?

#17 Posted by Hiashi (87 posts) -

This seems like a really bad idea. Especially with such stiff competition like WoW and Guild Wars 2.

#18 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Laketown said:

@Beaudacious said:

hahahaha this is one of the most expensive game projects ever worked on, are you mad? 300 million, as far as I know, and that was a while ago. no way is this going to make up it's budget

Nowhere near 300 million. They've stated they only need 500,000 subscribers to make a profit/break even. Why is that 300 million dollar figure still being believed?
#19 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:

@CL60 said:

I do believe Australians can import the game though, I don't think the game is region locked.

You have to use their servers to play. They aren't locking out the IPs of people in Oceanic areas.
#20 Posted by Finalwish (35 posts) -

As for people thinking its the lag factor for Aussies it isnt, if WoWs a basis then a 350ping is standard and can be pretty much praised and we are use to lag on release of expansions etc. They just dont want massive server congestion and to be down all of day 1. (which is going to happen anyway or its an already failing mmo)

#21 Edited by Jimbo (9767 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@Laketown said:

@Beaudacious said:

Nowhere near 300 million. They've stated they only need 500,000 subscribers to make a profit/break even. Why is that 300 million dollar figure still being believed?

500k subscribers for how long? Without a duration alongside it, that figure doesn't mean anything at all.

#22 Posted by Bollard (5198 posts) -
@Jimbo said:

@Beaudacious said:

EA could chose to only release the game in NA, forget Europe, and still make enough money. Sorry but this the truth.

How much money do you suppose is 'enough'?

I can see this game resulting in a damaging loss for EA depending on if its any good, and if anyone cares to play past the first month (or at all). That's even if they released it worldwide, so limiting their userbase is risky as shit.
#23 Posted by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@Laketown said:

@Beaudacious said:

Because it was pretty sensationalist when it was 'unveiled' originally, many journalists entertained the idea even though it's just plain stupid to believe they invested that kind of money into this project.

As for the topic, i think launching in america and europe is the best way to go. Australia isn't a big enough community for TOR to warrent the infrastructure (I.E. Servers) to allow australian only players and if they allowed other countries on the same servers it would be a lag fest for latency.

Not to mention they probably want to try and avoid the whole gold farming thing that world of warcraft got so well known for from the chinese influx.

#24 Posted by ajamafalous (11793 posts) -
@CL60 said:
@ajamafalous said:

@CL60 said:

You have to use their servers to play. They aren't locking out the IPs of people in Oceanic areas.
Have there been games that have done that, though?
#25 Posted by Jimbo (9767 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

@CL60 said:

Based on the user's IP location. It's been used before for staggering unlock dates on PC games before (Dragon Age 2 did iirc). You could get around it, but it's a hassle.

#26 Posted by ajamafalous (11793 posts) -
@Jimbo said:

@ajamafalous said:

@CL60 said:

Based on the user's IP location. It's been used before for staggering unlock dates on PC games before (Dragon Age 2 did iirc). You could get around it, but it's a hassle.

Seems like you could just use a proxy to get around that pretty easily.
#27 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
@CL60 said:
@ajamafalous said:

@CL60 said:

Have there been games that have done that, though?
I believe so yes.
#28 Posted by Jimbo (9767 posts) -

@jadeskye said:

@CL60 said:

@Laketown said:

@Beaudacious said:

Because it was pretty sensationalist when it was 'unveiled' originally, many journalists entertained the idea even though it's just plain stupid to believe they invested that kind of money into this project.

Not necessarily that unbelievable once you take infrastructure and marketing into account.

#29 Edited by MB (11877 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

@CL60 said:

Besides the obvious IP method, EA could tie the region locking into billing addresses for credit cards used for game subscriptions. So, even if people outside the intended regional launches imported the game, they may not even be able to subscribe once they get it.

#30 Posted by Declarius (180 posts) -

@Laketown: The collectors edition has already sold out on EA, and probably many other places. This game had a huge development process, sure. But I thinks it's reasonable to suspect they will be entirely successful. They need a large playerbase, but they wont have trouble with that. If the game ends up failing it will be because the endgame isn't fleshed out at launch (no idea if it is), they just need to give people enough reason to resubscribe and they will do well.

#31 Posted by Jimbo (9767 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

@Jimbo said:

@ajamafalous said:

@CL60 said:

Seems like you could just use a proxy to get around that pretty easily.

You could, and I did. Playing an MMO through a proxy might be pretty sucky though, I can't say I've tried it.

#32 Posted by Ethan_Raiden (341 posts) -

It will definately help with gold sellers and powerleveling, I'm not sure if that was a factor they were thinking about when making this descision.

#33 Edited by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

Well its just for the initial launch phase. They want what I assume are  the two biggest markets to be able to play the game with in a day or two of it launching and knowing how cheap EA are with there servers they will announce the dates for the other markets once they know they can handle it without costing them too much.

#34 Posted by Shady1992 (160 posts) -
@CL60 said:
@Laketown said:

@Beaudacious said:

Both figures are exaggerated.  They need at least at least 2 million subs to justify keeping the game online at the same time as WoW, and 300 million is an obvious overestimation
#35 Posted by jkuc316 (981 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:

@CL60: Star Wars is incredibly popular in Asia, particularly China and Japan. But this type of MMO isn't, they tend to prefer F2P grindfests. Things like Aion are huge over there.. where as Old Republic and Guild Wars 2 likely won't be.

Yeah haven't seen many people play Guild Wars 2 here. We're cheap, so we prefer F2Ps. Oh yeah, DotA is really popular here.
#36 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Asia market you mean for gold farmers? 

#37 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2449 posts) -
@MB said:

@ajamafalous said:

@CL60 said:

Besides the obvious IP method, EA could tie the region locking into billing addresses for credit cards used for game subscriptions. So, even if people outside the intended regional launches imported the game, they may not even be able to subscribe once they get it.

Valve uses a combination of both to restrict access to banned games. Even if you manage to fake your IP, you can't complete the transaction because of secondary checks. A solid region lock is not unfeasible.
#38 Posted by DEMONOLOGY_24 (521 posts) -

this games goten some of the worst publicity I have ever seen
#39 Posted by Shady1992 (160 posts) -
@DEMONOLOGY_24 said:
this games goten some of the worst publicity I have ever seen
It's gotten a lot of publicity in general, and while a lot of it is negative, there is still more positive than negative publicity... well at least before this pre-order fiasco.  Time will tell if it's really that big of a deal though
#40 Posted by MEATBALL (3011 posts) -

I'm obviously overestimating how much Australia matters in the grand scheme of things, but my knee-jerk reaction is that I'm beginning to understand why there's so much doubt surrounding this game.

#41 Posted by coakroach (2486 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
No, I mean the gamers that get the short end of the stick because they're dismissed as pirates and gold farmers because of their geographic location. 
You know, the people who want to buy games but aren't allowed to.
#42 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@coakroach said:
@The_Laughing_Man said:
No, I mean the gamers that get the short end of the stick because they're dismissed as pirates and gold farmers because of their geographic location. You know, the people who want to buy games but aren't allowed to.
They can still import it if they want it. And as for Australia it's just delayed there. Not sure about Asia.
#43 Posted by Kaiji (19 posts) -

I think they just don't expect the game to be successful enough in Australia/Asia to justify the expense of setting up and maintaining servers there. 

Outwardly they're acting like this will be an amazing game, but they have to base their business plans around the reality that this is just a WoW clone with voiceovers and a dialog wheel.

#44 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

I'm okay with that, cause Im euro and would much prefer they focus server-wise on a smaller group first and then expand from there. Ofc it sucks for everyone else and I feel for you.

#45 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@coakroach said:
@The_Laughing_Man said:
No, I mean the gamers that get the short end of the stick because they're dismissed as pirates and gold farmers because of their geographic location. You know, the people who want to buy games but aren't allowed to.
Well Asia is the center of most (if not all) of gold farming for all MMOS.
#46 Posted by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

@CL60:

WoW was released in Aus on day 1 without Oceanic servers, it ran fine.

#47 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

I'm an Australian, but I can't say this bothers me.

#48 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Metal_Mills said:

@CL60 said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

@CL60:

You obviously weren't on the 1-2 servers that a ton of Oceanic people flocked to.
#49 Posted by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@CL60 said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

@CL60:

You obviously weren't on the 1-2 servers that a ton of Oceanic people flocked to.

I was on Ner'zhul. It had heaps of Aussies on it.

#50 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Metal_Mills said:

@CL60 said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@CL60 said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

@CL60:

I was on Ner'zhul. It had heaps of Aussies on it.

1 word, Blackrock. The server was barely functional because of so many Oceanic people on it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.