Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Not launching in outside Europe and North America

• 54 results
    coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By coakroach

http://kotaku.com/5823736/star-wars-the-old-republic-wont-launch-in-asia-australasia 

Really EA? Really? 
    Your going to launch this massively expensive game and limit your userbase on day one? 
    Asia is a market with incredible potential, but once again you're going to leave the fastest growing region in the world in the dark for... what reason exactly? 
    To make sure all efforts to pirate the game get kicked into overdrive? 
    Even Warhammer Online launched in Australia, I simply cant comprehend why they would shoot themselves in the foot like this.

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By J12088

Lucky I'm european.

edit: Also if this really does help the game launch smoothly unlike every other MMO ever then I'm all for it. Good for them. I want a smooth game experience on day 1 not lag and hour long ques and god knows what else. 

...I'll probably still get that but I can dream.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By coakroach
    @J12088:  The servers would (or should) be separate for each region. 
    Actually if people from Asia import the game and only have American or European servers to play on, its probably going to cause even more of a drain.
    Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Beaudacious

There is no reason to launch a mmo heavily based in a western franchise in other regions. In terms of Australia, mmo's have always been a shit storm concerning oceanic servers. Am guessing they want absolutely zero negative press, they might release them later into the release cycle.

Edit: EA could chose to only release the game in NA, forget Europe, and still make enough money. Sorry but this the truth.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By CL60
    @Beaudacious said:

There is no reason to launch a mmo heavily based in a western franchise in other regions. In terms of Australia, mmo's have always been a shit storm concerning oceanic servers. Am guessing they want absolutely zero negative press, they might release them later into the release cycle.

Yeah, I believe they are just delaying the Australian release. And as for Asia I can't see a Star Wars MMO selling well in Asian countries anyway. I do believe Australians can import the game though, I don't think the game is region locked.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@CL60: Star Wars is incredibly popular in Asia, particularly China and Japan. But this type of MMO isn't, they tend to prefer F2P grindfests. Things like Aion are huge over there.. where as Old Republic and Guild Wars 2 likely won't be.

Really can't fathom why Australia would be left out though.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CL60
    @WinterSnowblind said:

@CL60

Issues with Oceanic servers most likely. I really doubt it wont ever come out in Australia, it will probably just be delayed.
    probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By probablytuna

This just sucks.

kheldorin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kheldorin

I'm Singaporean and this sucks but to be honest it isn't really a big deal. It's an MMO that's supposed to last for years so there's no hurry to get a big initial burst of sale. It is more important to make sure the launch goes as smoothly as possible to minimize negative publicity which would hurt the game more in the long-run. I do not think that EA would want to spread their resources out to thin at launch day. And If the NA and Europe release does go well, I personally would be less wary in pre-ordering the Collector's Edition since the NA & EU has proven the game's quality. Maybe I'm pessimistic but launch day for MMOs are always full of issues. So if those issues manage to be resolved once the Oceanic version is out, than I'm all for it. And if they manage to make a deal such that the Oceanic servers are geographically in Oceania to minimize lag unlike WOW. then it's going to be so awesome. 

Hennet_sim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Hennet_sim

It's likely from the voice work in the game.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11  Edited By buft
    @Hennet_sim said:
    It's likely from the voice work in the game.
    not for australia though but i guess they got lumped in with Asia on this, so good point.
    Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vexxan

Oh EA...this is a bad move.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@CL60 said:

Issues with Oceanic servers most likely. I really doubt it wont ever come out in Australia, it will probably just be delayed.

I'm not doubting that it'll be released eventually.. Just hard not to feel sorry for Australians at this point.

Being in the UK, I always thought we got the short end of the stick.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Animasta

@Beaudacious said:

Edit: EA could chose to only release the game in NA, forget Europe, and still make enough money. Sorry but this the truth.

hahahaha this is one of the most expensive game projects ever worked on, are you mad? 300 million, as far as I know, and that was a while ago. no way is this going to make up it's budget

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jimbo

@Beaudacious said:

EA could chose to only release the game in NA, forget Europe, and still make enough money. Sorry but this the truth.

How much money do you suppose is 'enough'?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By ajamafalous

@CL60 said:

I do believe Australians can import the game though, I don't think the game is region locked.

How would you region lock a PC game?

Hiashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Hiashi

This seems like a really bad idea. Especially with such stiff competition like WoW and Guild Wars 2.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CL60
    @Laketown said:

@Beaudacious said:

hahahaha this is one of the most expensive game projects ever worked on, are you mad? 300 million, as far as I know, and that was a while ago. no way is this going to make up it's budget

Nowhere near 300 million. They've stated they only need 500,000 subscribers to make a profit/break even. Why is that 300 million dollar figure still being believed?
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CL60
    @ajamafalous said:

@CL60 said:

I do believe Australians can import the game though, I don't think the game is region locked.

You have to use their servers to play. They aren't locking out the IPs of people in Oceanic areas.
    Finalwish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Finalwish

As for people thinking its the lag factor for Aussies it isnt, if WoWs a basis then a 350ping is standard and can be pretty much praised and we are use to lag on release of expansions etc. They just dont want massive server congestion and to be down all of day 1. (which is going to happen anyway or its an already failing mmo)

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jimbo

@CL60 said:

@Laketown said:

@Beaudacious said:

Nowhere near 300 million. They've stated they only need 500,000 subscribers to make a profit/break even. Why is that 300 million dollar figure still being believed?

500k subscribers for how long? Without a duration alongside it, that figure doesn't mean anything at all.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Bollard
    @Jimbo said:

@Beaudacious said:

EA could chose to only release the game in NA, forget Europe, and still make enough money. Sorry but this the truth.

How much money do you suppose is 'enough'?

I can see this game resulting in a damaging loss for EA depending on if its any good, and if anyone cares to play past the first month (or at all). That's even if they released it worldwide, so limiting their userbase is risky as shit.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Jadeskye

@CL60 said:

@Laketown said:

@Beaudacious said:

Because it was pretty sensationalist when it was 'unveiled' originally, many journalists entertained the idea even though it's just plain stupid to believe they invested that kind of money into this project.

As for the topic, i think launching in america and europe is the best way to go. Australia isn't a big enough community for TOR to warrent the infrastructure (I.E. Servers) to allow australian only players and if they allowed other countries on the same servers it would be a lag fest for latency.

Not to mention they probably want to try and avoid the whole gold farming thing that world of warcraft got so well known for from the chinese influx.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ajamafalous
    @CL60 said:
    @ajamafalous said:

@CL60 said:

You have to use their servers to play. They aren't locking out the IPs of people in Oceanic areas.
    Have there been games that have done that, though?
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jimbo

@ajamafalous said:

@CL60 said:

Based on the user's IP location. It's been used before for staggering unlock dates on PC games before (Dragon Age 2 did iirc). You could get around it, but it's a hassle.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Jimbo said:

@ajamafalous said:

@CL60 said:

Based on the user's IP location. It's been used before for staggering unlock dates on PC games before (Dragon Age 2 did iirc). You could get around it, but it's a hassle.

Seems like you could just use a proxy to get around that pretty easily.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CL60
    @ajamafalous said:
    @CL60 said:
    @ajamafalous said:

@CL60 said:

Have there been games that have done that, though?
    I believe so yes.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jimbo

@jadeskye said:

@CL60 said:

@Laketown said:

@Beaudacious said:

Because it was pretty sensationalist when it was 'unveiled' originally, many journalists entertained the idea even though it's just plain stupid to believe they invested that kind of money into this project.

Not necessarily that unbelievable once you take infrastructure and marketing into account.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By mike

@ajamafalous said:

@CL60 said:

Besides the obvious IP method, EA could tie the region locking into billing addresses for credit cards used for game subscriptions. So, even if people outside the intended regional launches imported the game, they may not even be able to subscribe once they get it.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jimbo

@ajamafalous said:

@Jimbo said:

@ajamafalous said:

@CL60 said:

Seems like you could just use a proxy to get around that pretty easily.

You could, and I did. Playing an MMO through a proxy might be pretty sucky though, I can't say I've tried it.

ethan_raiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By ethan_raiden

It will definately help with gold sellers and powerleveling, I'm not sure if that was a factor they were thinking about when making this descision.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ShaneDev

Well its just for the initial launch phase. They want what I assume are  the two biggest markets to be able to play the game with in a day or two of it launching and knowing how cheap EA are with there servers they will announce the dates for the other markets once they know they can handle it without costing them too much.

Shady1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Shady1992
    @CL60 said:
    @Laketown said:

@Beaudacious said:

Both figures are exaggerated.  They need at least at least 2 million subs to justify keeping the game online at the same time as WoW, and 300 million is an obvious overestimation
    jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#35  Edited By jkuc316
    @WinterSnowblind said:

@CL60: Star Wars is incredibly popular in Asia, particularly China and Japan. But this type of MMO isn't, they tend to prefer F2P grindfests. Things like Aion are huge over there.. where as Old Republic and Guild Wars 2 likely won't be.

Yeah haven't seen many people play Guild Wars 2 here. We're cheap, so we prefer F2Ps. Oh yeah, DotA is really popular here.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Asia market you mean for gold farmers? 

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@MB said:

@ajamafalous said:

@CL60 said:

Besides the obvious IP method, EA could tie the region locking into billing addresses for credit cards used for game subscriptions. So, even if people outside the intended regional launches imported the game, they may not even be able to subscribe once they get it.

Valve uses a combination of both to restrict access to banned games. Even if you manage to fake your IP, you can't complete the transaction because of secondary checks. A solid region lock is not unfeasible.
    DEMONOLOGY_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DEMONOLOGY_24

this games goten some of the worst publicity I have ever seen
    Shady1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Shady1992
    @DEMONOLOGY_24 said:
    this games goten some of the worst publicity I have ever seen
    It's gotten a lot of publicity in general, and while a lot of it is negative, there is still more positive than negative publicity... well at least before this pre-order fiasco.  Time will tell if it's really that big of a deal though
    MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#40  Edited By MEATBALL

I'm obviously overestimating how much Australia matters in the grand scheme of things, but my knee-jerk reaction is that I'm beginning to understand why there's so much doubt surrounding this game.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By coakroach
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    No, I mean the gamers that get the short end of the stick because they're dismissed as pirates and gold farmers because of their geographic location. 
    You know, the people who want to buy games but aren't allowed to.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By CL60
    @coakroach said:
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    No, I mean the gamers that get the short end of the stick because they're dismissed as pirates and gold farmers because of their geographic location. You know, the people who want to buy games but aren't allowed to.
    They can still import it if they want it. And as for Australia it's just delayed there. Not sure about Asia.
    Kaiji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Kaiji

I think they just don't expect the game to be successful enough in Australia/Asia to justify the expense of setting up and maintaining servers there. 

Outwardly they're acting like this will be an amazing game, but they have to base their business plans around the reality that this is just a WoW clone with voiceovers and a dialog wheel.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By emergency

I'm okay with that, cause Im euro and would much prefer they focus server-wise on a smaller group first and then expand from there. Ofc it sucks for everyone else and I feel for you.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @coakroach said:
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    No, I mean the gamers that get the short end of the stick because they're dismissed as pirates and gold farmers because of their geographic location. You know, the people who want to buy games but aren't allowed to.
    Well Asia is the center of most (if not all) of gold farming for all MMOS.
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46  Edited By metal_mills

@CL60 said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

@CL60:

WoW was released in Aus on day 1 without Oceanic servers, it ran fine.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By tim_the_corsair

I'm an Australian, but I can't say this bothers me.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CL60
    @Metal_Mills said:

@CL60 said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

@CL60:

You obviously weren't on the 1-2 servers that a ton of Oceanic people flocked to.
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49  Edited By metal_mills

@CL60 said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@CL60 said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

@CL60:

You obviously weren't on the 1-2 servers that a ton of Oceanic people flocked to.

I was on Ner'zhul. It had heaps of Aussies on it.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By CL60
    @Metal_Mills said:

@CL60 said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@CL60 said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

@CL60:

I was on Ner'zhul. It had heaps of Aussies on it.

1 word, Blackrock. The server was barely functional because of so many Oceanic people on it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.