Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Official SW:TOR Forum is Horrendous

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Beaudacious

So I've been spending some time, over at the Official SW:TOR forum. Let me tell you it feels as if you were being corralled within a concentration camp of some sort. Of course the basic cursing, and such are forbidden, but moderators seem to close peoples threads left and right based on control of topics. I've encountered numerous situations were people post thoughtful critiques of certain Sw:TOR concepts only to find threads deleted upon refresh. It seems like a very negative environment for a gaming community, people not being able to post anything of substance while allowing 14 year old's to type in " 1337 5p34k " about character model breast augmentation.  I see the intelligible community for this game migrating to unofficial forums, in the same manner the intelligible WoW community did. 

I'm starting to get this eery impression that SW:TOR moderators in game or on forum are going to be ban hammer happy. So if i decide to grief a fellow player on a pvp server, he'll open a ticket and I'll find myself banned, or if i curse in game even with language filters implemented I'll be banned. The current conversations on the forum feel as if every member has a gun held to their head as they type, it seems worse then any other game forum I've had the fortune of gracing. Seems unfortunate how this behavior will eventually fragment the community, and create the same divide elitist  jerks brought.

Opinions?

No Caption Provided
    ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ClaritySam

I'm fine with it, assuming all the banned guys don't end up here like that whining fool Shady.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Gizmo

Hello xxxxxxxxx,

This is just a brief note to let you know that we removed the following post from the "Anyone else still not digging the graphics?" thread, as it was not constructive to the discussion at hand, and could easily be viewed as referring to confidential information, which is a violation of the Rules of Conduct.
    No action is being taken against your account at this time, we just wanted to let you know why the post was removed.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxxxxxx
    My 'friend' tells me from his 'source' that SW:TOR is graphically very impressive.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Beaudacious said:
    The current conversations on the forum feel as if every member has a gun held to their head as they type
    ... ouch.... 
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By CL60

I'm not seeing this on the forums. I'm seeing actual trolling topics get deleted, but not actual complaints. When I am seeing actual complaints get deleted, it's only because they have too many posts. Usually the mod will repost the topic if that happens.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@CL60 said:
    I'm not seeing this on the forums. I'm seeing actual trolling topics get deleted, but not actual complaints. When I am seeing actual complaints get deleted, it's only because they have too many posts. Usually the mod will repost the topic if that happens.
    This has been my experience as well.  Maybe they felt the critiques gave away small bits info from the beta that they haven't said anything about yet?  I dunno.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I'm all for banhammers, most of them deserve it.

Forums are not bad, could be way worse.
    There's little to be really said except for 'what we know' topics concering flashpoints/classes/races etc, so most of the stuff there is pointless.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Sooty

Have to admit I kinda liked the official WoW forums, always found a lot of useful info there.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Kyle

Yeah, that sounds pretty bad. That's why going to official game forums never made any sense to me. I'm pretty sure the swtor forums have always been like that though-- I remember an ordeal from a few years ago about one of the mods locking topics about the discussion of homosexuality in the star wars universe.

I wouldn't get too worried about this thing seeping into the game itself though. Seems very unlikely.

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DeviantJoker

For a primer on the official forums, please refer to the video below.

The Old Republic Forums "Walkthrough" Episode 1: The Phantom Dumbass 

There are other videos in the series - you should easily be able to find them after. Essentially, the forums are great for regurgitating ideas, thoughts, and concerns that have been spoken over ad nauseam. As Talicia pointed out, the Stickied "Information gathered on The Old Republic so far!" is one of the most useful things on the forums and arguably the only thing useful there. A user named GameWizX also did a great job of organizing the E3 information and will be doing so for San Diego Comic Con, so I will be staying in tuned the his "Unofficial San Diego Comic-Con 2011 Thread" during the appropriate time. The rest of the forums is a pointless time-sink where you can complain/bicker/hype/hate over speculation all you want.  

If you check BetaCake, subscribe to Steven Reid's twitter, and visit at least one FanSite (DarthHater, Ask a Jedi, TORWars, etc...) - you will know every thing about the game essentially as good as any body else outside of Beta - without the annoyance of rabidly pointless forum echoers.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Beaudacious
    @Ygg: The info on the official forums was always old, and constructed from various borrowed segments from other forums. I just found it to be a mess, and a haven for complainers. 
    @DeviantJoker: Now we just need to know which Fan Forum will be the cool hangout.
    @CL60:  I didn't mean those really huge threads, just the smaller newer threads being ban hammered.

Also the forum really needs a redesign i feel like I'm stuck in 1998 time loop.
    Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Loose
    @Ygg said:
    Have to admit I kinda liked the official WoW forums, always found a lot of useful info there.
    Agreed. A lot of the information you need to get into end-game content is usually easy to obtain. There's a lot of complainers and trolls obviously, but you learn to ignore them after a while.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Sooty
    @Beaudacious said:
    @Ygg: The info on the official forums was always old, and constructed from various borrowed segments from other forums. I just found it to be a mess, and a haven for complainers. 

Hmm I never had a problem finding pretty up to date info on there, especially as you could easily switch between the different regions for more info.

It's definitely a haven for complainers though, even more so when a class gets a nerfing!

@Loose said:
    @Ygg said:
    Agreed. A lot of the information you need to get into end-game content is usually easy to obtain. There's a lot of complainers and trolls obviously, but you learn to ignore them after a while.

Exactly! Always felt they were moderated fairly well too.
    Shady1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Shady1992

The Moderators on the official forums are certainly over-zealous.  That said, I think the bigger issue with the official TOR Forums is that everyone just says "See you at launch" to any problem

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Zurv

shame the game isn't very good :P

Saga over deleted threads are more entertaining the game itself ;)

Shady1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Shady1992
    @Zurv: Well, the game is only in Beta; its not necessarily meant to impress people yet
    SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SamStrife

The community there also aint great. It's full of tools and idiots that are much happier flaming someone than providing constructive critisism. I avoid it at all costs.

Kaiji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kaiji

Yeah the atmosphere on the official forum is very weird... The community is like a gang of Gollums all protecting their Precious, and the mods are easily the most overzealous control freaks I've encountered. 

They're obviously not thinking longterm, because if they did they'd realize they're doing an extremely poor job of building a good community.

LUMIN4RY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LUMIN4RY

I like the official boards, a lot of nice people. I just ignore the others. :) I probably wont be on it much when it launches though...

Etaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Etaber

I've been through a few pre-release MMO forums and all were pretty rough. Too many people hyped for the game with too little information to talk about. Some of them have been there for YEARS and it becomes a fanboy breeding ground. Then I always, always see people who want the game to go in some weird direction and complain bitterly when it doesn't. For example, super hardcore PvPers who are always disgusted that the game won't let them reach through the internet and stab other players directly in the face. They talk about Ultima Online and say the word carebear a lot. I'm not talking about normal Pvpers but "This game will be shit if I can't gank level 1s, steal their gear, and delete their account before they zone in the first time!!!?! Damn carebears ruining everything!!!" types. :)

It always gets better once the game launches and people have real issues to talk about.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @Etaber said:

For example, super hardcore PvPers who are always disgusted that the game won't let them reach through the internet and stab other players directly in the face. They talk about Ultima Online and say the word carebear a lot. I'm not talking about normal Pvpers but "This game will be shit if I can't gank level 1s, steal their gear, and delete their account before they zone in the first time!!!?! Damn carebears ruining everything!!!" types. :)

HAHAHA this is especially hilarious to me because I see people on MMO forums like this all the time and this isn't too much of an exaggeration if I'm honest.
    GrindedStone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By GrindedStone

It's a GD powder keg of disapointment & SPAM just waiting to go off.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.