Patch 1.2 apparently broke and re-rolled whole servers

#1 Posted by familyphotoshoot (654 posts) -

People are reporting that they've lost 600k guildbanks and everything in them and more.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=407298

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=407162

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=407190

I have no words.

#2 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

For the clueless ones, what are "guildbanks", some kind of online currency?

Either way, this sounds pretty darn disastrous.

#3 Posted by Brodehouse (10129 posts) -

People will flip out, it'll get fixed, and no one will remember.

#4 Posted by Jayzilla (2571 posts) -

Yeah that forum post makes it look like it is one server having the issue. They will get it sorted. They always do. Also, they gave everyone who hit level 50 and is an active subscriber 30 free days. Pretty cool if you ask me.

#5 Posted by shway (176 posts) -

guildbanks are a bank for a guild...i like to call them guild banks

#6 Posted by Xeirus (1370 posts) -

Oh MMO woes, guess I'm glad I stopped playing. It's funny reading all the children flipping shit though.

#7 Posted by niamahai (1394 posts) -

dude.. its no different than WoW when the PVP gear vendor was giving out free stuff.

#8 Posted by BiG_Weasel (524 posts) -

Its not like polls on this site and others were showing disillusioned players leaving SWTOR after their free time/monthly fee was up, anyway. Now this will push those fence riders over the edge if its not handled properly and immediately. EA- Making mediocre games worse.

#9 Posted by adoggz (2070 posts) -

BREAKING NEWS! swtor is an mmo, more at 11.

#10 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

@niamahai said:

dude.. its no different than WoW when the PVP gear vendor was giving out free stuff.

It's completely different

#11 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

@shway said:

guildbanks are a bank for a guild...i like to call them guild banks

I don't know, but that just doesn't add up.

#12 Posted by Beaudacious (934 posts) -

@NaDannMaGoGo: Then i'd go see a doctor.

#13 Posted by DaveC524 (86 posts) -

The rumor going around right now is that the Hero Engine, the game engine SWTOR runs on, actually doesn't support the ability to revert to an earlier backup version of the server, and as such, those broken guild banks with tons of missing stuff may stay that way permanently. If such an event actually occurs, and guild banks all throughout the game are permanently depleted, I could see a fairly large exodus away from SWTOR in the near future if this issue is not resolved, assuming of course that Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3 don't already cull the server populations when they're released :).

#14 Posted by Pazy (2601 posts) -

I can see how this would destroy the current player in end games. By the nature of an MMO you have to be really delicate with the players. In a game like Cod you might lose access to some games but your current ones are just as good and you can play for a day and get them back. In an MMO you have lost weeks of "Work" and can lose access to content, such as higher raids, if they simply lose access to your gear.

#15 Posted by SagaciousJones (142 posts) -

Also, "early" versions of the patch completely broke some people's game installations.

Not as bad as that time EVE deleted boot.ini

#16 Posted by laserbolts (5365 posts) -

@Xeirus said:

Oh MMO woes, guess I'm glad I stopped playing. It's funny reading all the children flipping shit though.

It's not only children it's anyone that commited a shit load of time into the game and just lost what they had to show for it. I remember in the wow days our guildbank was ridiculous and it would take months of playtime to farm all the stuff we had in it. I would be pissed but luckily I have no time for anything star wars related.

#17 Posted by Mageknight (124 posts) -
#18 Posted by Clinkz (1118 posts) -

They are just handing free days out left and right. Can't wait to try my sith warrior on the F2P servers. Jk, I wouldn't touch it even if it was free.

#19 Posted by dudeglove (8276 posts) -
#20 Posted by Xeirus (1370 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

@Xeirus said:

It's not only children it's anyone that commited a shit load of time into the game and just lost what they had to show for it. I remember in the wow days our guildbank was ridiculous and it would take months of playtime to farm all the stuff we had in it. I would be pissed but luckily I have no time for anything star wars related.

It's not like it's gone, they always have backups. When I see a post from the company that states "yep, it's all gone" then the anger is fine. But same day it happens people lose their fucking minds, that is acting like a child.

#21 Posted by Mageknight (124 posts) -
#22 Posted by JJGIANT (760 posts) -

There is no anger like that emanating from a frustrated MMO player. The moment things hitch up is the moment they realise that there lives are being invested into something that could be shut down at any moment. That freaks people out!

#23 Posted by mwng (955 posts) -
@SagaciousJones said:

Not as bad as that time EVE deleted boot.ini

I may have lost Windows, but I did get a free year of EVE.
#24 Posted by Ares42 (2796 posts) -

@Xeirus said:

@laserbolts said:

@Xeirus said:

It's not like it's gone, they always have backups. When I see a post from the company that states "yep, it's all gone" then the anger is fine. But same day it happens people lose their fucking minds, that is acting like a child.

You do realize that swtor has already had a "rollback-worthy" situation where there was no rollback, right ? As far as we know they have no back-ups.

#25 Posted by redefaulted (2829 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

People will flip out, it'll get fixed, and no one will remember.
#26 Edited by SagaciousJones (142 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.