[Poll] SW:TOR - Did you Purchase? Are you Satisfied? Disappointed?

#1 Posted by Beaudacious (930 posts) -
#2 Posted by Beaudacious (930 posts) -

I'm wondering what people ended up deciding, and how they feel about their decision. Personally i canceled my pre-order, and I'm quite happy about that decision.

#3 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -

As soon as I get out of this bed, I'll probably buy it.

#4 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -

I tried it out on my brothers account and it was fine! 

#5 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -

Cancelled my pre-order after the beta weekend thingy, I thought it was kinda fun but it didn't really hook me. 
Then I got into the early access and played a whole lot of it, and now I kinda wish I hadn't cancelled my pre-order as I want to continue with my character...  
Can't really decide if I want it enough to spend the money on it, though...

#6 Edited by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

I'm just not interested in the franchise and I don't care that much for BioWare games besides the Mass Effect series. Hence I didn't buy it.

#7 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

I played the beta, it was meh. Played the retail, it was meh. And don't get me started on the "subscribe to play for free bullshit".

#8 Edited by Metal_Mills (2997 posts) -

I'm liking it a lot. I don't normally play MMO's but the story is fun and the group stuff is easy enough that you can avoid it if you want and it's unoffensive if you do try it. Some of the cutscenes are awesome too. I'd probably have still wanted Kotor 3 but this is still really good. The starting area is

#9 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

L-O-V-E I-T. Getting better and better the more I play. Just finished up Tatooine yesterday night heading to Aldeeran (totally overleveled being 34 just heading into a 28-32 zone). Tatooine was my favorite planet thus far. A great quest in there rivaling Bioware's best.

#10 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

Cancelled after playing a good chunk of the beta/early access. I wouldn't say I was disappointed though, the game was pretty much exactly what I expected. Great production values, good story content, horrible gameplay and social interactions.

#11 Edited by CptBedlam (4451 posts) -

Nope, not my cup of tea. Don't like the WoW-y art direction and the typical boring ass mmo-gameplay.

#12 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

I purchased it but it is in the mail and should be here December 30th

#13 Posted by Chumm (241 posts) -

Pretty great, just sucks that it's totally a reskin of wow, right down to dumb stuff like auction house purchases being mailed to you instead of just appearing in your inventory. PvP is fun, flashpoints are great, there's daily quests etc. Dopamine drip on overload, which is good or bad depending on what you're looking for. The numbers, they go up.

#14 Posted by Extreme_Popcorn (842 posts) -

Really enjoying it, I'm level 27 with about 36 hours played and it doesn't feel like I've played that much. The same feeling I got from playing Skyrim which is the sign of a good game in my view. It is in some ways like WoW, the basic buying skills and crafting skills, levelling up, talent trees and combat but I liked all that from WoW and to be honest, why would they change something that worked so well.

What I like most is that unlike WoW where the goal of the game was to get to max level as fast as possible to start raiding or PvP, this game isn't like that at all. Everyone is taking it at their own pace and enjoying their story, doing every quest and flashpoint because each one has their own little bit of story and you never know which quest will lead onto a huge quest chain.

#15 Posted by project343 (2827 posts) -
@Seppli

L-O-V-E I-T. Getting better and better the more I play. Just finished up Tatooine yesterday night heading to Aldeeran (totally overleveled being 34 just heading into a 30-34 zone). Tatooine was my favorite planet thus far. A great quest in there rivaling Bioware's best.

This.

Tatooine is so delicious.

This has the social persistence of an MMO, with the levelling experience of a Bioware game. For me, that's ten boners out of ten. It's my favourite Bioware game since Mass Effect 1.
#16 Posted by MannyMAR (454 posts) -

I dig it, but I don't see myself sticking with it for the long haul. I'll probably play until I reach the solo-able plateau.

#17 Posted by adz117 (136 posts) -

I was having fun, until my friends decided we needed a tank in the group. The Troopers tank/dps/dps tree is garbage.

#18 Posted by Brother_PipPop (255 posts) -

I bought it and loving it. Waiting to settle down wtih my group of mmo compadrates after the craziness of the holidays and make our four person death squad. :P

The game is very well made, leveling is a bit slow though, guess WoW spoiled me.

#19 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

A.

I love it, but my previous statement still holds true, I cannot play more then two characters as everything will be the same planet wise (different story ofcourse, but still gotta kill another 20140140.05 Rakghouls meanwhile).
So 4 total, 2 per side.
Next to that I am loving the vibe, the space combat, the missions and the gear.
Orange gear is awesome! No more running around with silly hats as a Consular!

#20 Posted by xxNBxx (973 posts) -

Played the beta, thought the story for the Empire side was cool, felt the Republic story lines as boring as watching the yule log on TV. But the fact that I had to collect 10 nerf herder hides between the yummy story bits turned me off. On top of that the combat was not the Visceral thing of beauty they clammed.

Would love to play this game with all the MMO pitfalls taken out. If there was a way to just play the story parts I would be all over it.

Just as a side note, I played 4 years of WoW and have had enough of the MMO grind.

#21 Posted by Donos (1195 posts) -

I'm satisfied, in that I dislike this game less than I expected to. I'll probably cancel my subscription before the month, though.

#22 Posted by Giefcookie (603 posts) -

@Seppli said:

L-O-V-E I-T. Getting better and better the more I play. Just finished up Tatooine yesterday night heading to Aldeeran (totally overleveled being 34 just heading into a 28-32 zone). Tatooine was my favorite planet thus far. A great quest in there rivaling Bioware's best.

THE IMPRISONED ONE SHALL BE FREE!

Tatoiine is the first zone in an mmo that is actually beautiful. And theres A LOT of it.

#23 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

To much instancing. This game does not deserve a monthly subscription for playing in ghost towns.

#24 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@Buzzkill said:

To much instancing. This game does not deserve a monthly subscription for playing in ghost towns.

Hardly has any. Most areas only have 2 different phases, and they've already stated that those wouldn't be in the game forever, they're just here now so people aren't competing for mobs as much as a usual MMO launch.

#25 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@Buzzkill said:

Hardly has any. Most areas only have 2 different phases, and they've already stated that those wouldn't be in the game forever, they're just here now so people aren't competing for mobs as much as a usual MMO launch.

Nice spin, but the phases are dynamic based on the servers population which means they WILL be in the game forever. Did you even watch the interview with Erickson?

#26 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@Buzzkill said:

@CL60 said:

@Buzzkill said:

Nice spin, but the phases are dynamic based on the servers population which means they WILL be in the game forever. Did you even watch the interview with Erickson?

They've already stated a while ago that they wont be. If that will happen, I don't know, but regardless. It's not instanced to hell, it's got 2 phases in most areas that you can switch on the fly, and can talk to everyone on the planet, not just your phase.

#27 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@Buzzkill said:

@CL60 said:

@Buzzkill said:

They've already stated a while ago that they wont be.

So you're sticking behind your vague "a while ago" hearsay? No problem I'll stick with the "current" interview with the lead writer of the game full of facts. The only way you'll dig yourself out of this one is to just agree to disagree.

#28 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@Buzzkill said:

@CL60 said:

@Buzzkill said:

@CL60 said:

@Buzzkill said:

They've already stated a while ago that they wont be.

So you're sticking behind your vague "a while ago" hearsay? No problem I'll stick with the "current" interview with the lead writer of the game full of facts. The only way you'll dig yourself out of this one is to just agree to disagree.

He never says in the interview that there will always be phasing, he explains what phasing does, and why it's currently there. Anybody who was actually following the game around October and looked at the dev tracker would know that they said that the phasing system would only be in the game around launch time. And as I said, if they actually will remains to be seen, but that's what they said. Also it doesn't really matter at all, as it's only 2 phases that you can switch to on the fly, and general chat doesn't matter which phase you're in. Most planets get a large amount of people in each phase, so it's really not an issue.

#29 Edited by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

Wow look at you go. Spin me right round baby like a roller coaster. Dynamic phasing helps spread the load out across the server. This means if there's a huge population on starter worlds you'll see 8 phases of the dame planet. (headaches and ghost towns galore!) As the population moves forward in chapters the starter planet phases decrease, but the mid planet phases increase. Eventually when the bulk of the server population hits the chapter 3 planets..... well I hope you're bright enough to connect the dots. Now the Dynamic part Erickson talked about was able to the ability for phases to raise and lower their population caps in relation to the server load. This means that as phases shrink down to single digits, they will also be able to hold more people and when populations are high they will create multiple phases that contain a very small amount of people. Think of it like an hour glass, except the glass that contains the sand can also expand and contract. This system is part of the server architecture and is going nowhere, hence will be around forever like I stated.

#30 Posted by chocomuffling (31 posts) -

@Buzzkill said:

Wow look at you go. Spin me right round baby like a roller coaster. Dynamic phasing helps spread the load out across the server. This means if there's a huge population on starter worlds you'll see 8 phases of the dame planet. (headaches and ghost towns galore!) As the population moves forward in chapters the starter planet phases decrease, but the mid planet phases increase. Eventually when the bulk of the server population hits the chapter 3 planets..... well I hope you're bright enough to connect the dots. Now the Dynamic part Erickson talked about was able to the ability for phases to raise and lower their population caps in relation to the server load. This means that as phases shrink down to single digits, they will also be able to hold more people and when populations are high they will create multiple phases that contain a very small amount of people. Think of it like an hour glass, except the glass that contains the sand can also expand and contract. This system is part of the server architecture and is going nowhere, hence will be around forever like I stated.

Omg. That sounds pretty horrible. I hope you are wrong, cause I just bought the game and don't wanna run around in ghost towns :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.