Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Porta Potty Force Hurl Skill - Am I the Only One Who Sees It?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

I'm excited for SW:TOR. I have a pre-order box et all. Looking forward to finally playing it. I initially intended to play a Jedi Consular. Until I saw the first leaked footage and that official flashpoint walkthrough with the Jedi Consular class flexing its Porta Potty Force Hurl muscles.

The Jedi Consular unearths a piece of filthy brown tubing from underground, looking somewhat like a squished porta potty to me - and hurls it at his enemies. No matter if he's on a space station or somewhere in a dense jungle or on a rocky mountain. To me, that's a total immersion killer. Why would there be the same smashed porta potty buried to be unearthed where-ever the Jedi Consular threads? It feels wrong and is immensely immersion-breaking.

Why not make this Jedi Consular skill somewhat similar to Mortal Kombat's Sub Zero's 'Icelance' or whatever it's called. You know just with dust and rock and bolts and such. Compacting it into a snazzy pointed cone or rock lance and hurl it at his foes? Something that doesn't look completely wrong and ridiculous. In fact this worries me a bit, because it's so obviously in bad taste and whoever plays a consular as a ranged damage dealer will see that same squished porta potty fly a million times - why is something like that still in the game? The animation is going to be silly the second time. If not already the first time, if it's done at an unfit location.

Check the last couple of seconds of the Jedi Consular trailer to see the 'Porta Potty Force Hurl' skill in action.

Nhoj_Sllew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Nhoj_Sllew

you really gonna bitch about being able to hurl septic tanks at your enemies? 

HE CAN CAUSE EARTHQUAKES WITH NOTHING BUT A STERN LOOK
    Tan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Tan

Even Jedis can't hold it in forever...?

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ragdrazi

Porta potties are not octangular.

That having been said, what would be better to hurl at your enemies with great force.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Seppli
    @Nhoj_Sllew said:
    you really gonna bitch about being able to hurl septic tanks at your enemies?   HE CAN CAUSE EARTHQUAKES WITH NOTHING BUT A STERN LOOK
    Indeed. Why would there be an unlimited supply of septic tanks anywhere ever? It's just horrible world building. Non-cohesive. I'm pulling a porta potty from the ground of this space ship. Astroid. Jungle. Bog. Rocky hill top. Tarmac. Pine forrest floor. Wheat field. Desert. And so forth. Sometimes I'm standing on the same spot, nuking a boss on cooldown. I'm glad that there is a stack of these porta pottys right under my feet.

Why would I have a problem with the Force? It's Star Wars and the Force is integral to its lore. It's cohesive with the world of Star Wars to such things as causing an earthquake. Pulling unlimited amounts of samey septic tanks/prota potties from wherever - that hurts world building. So much I'll shun any Jedi Consular. Don't you dare destroy my immersion with your crappy shit flinging skill boy!
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Seppli
    @Ragdrazi said:
    Porta potties are not octangular.  That having been said, what would be better to hurl at your enemies with great force.
    Compact dust particles and such into a rock lance and hurl that shit. 

OR... Have a dynamic 'thing' to hurl, depending on the surrounding world. A chunk of wood in a forrest. A tube in a space ship. A slab of rock on a mountain. And so forth. With some model-variation. A selection of 3 porta potties. Not just throw THE ONE GALACTIC PORTA POTTY over and over again.
    Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @Seppli: They don't look like porta potties. They don't look like septic tanks (gray concrete boxes) either.

Clearly, in the movies, the Jedi like to fling a bunch of random debris at each other while they fight. But they couldn't do that without land deformation, so they decided to have you pull one... thing... out of the ground over and over again. Maybe it's not a completely elegant solution, but it works.
    Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @Seppli said:
    @Ragdrazi said:
    Porta potties are not octangular.  That having been said, what would be better to hurl at your enemies with great force.
    Compact dust particles and such into a rock lance and hurl that shit. 

OR... Have a dynamic 'thing' to hurl, depending on the surrounding world. A chunk of wood in a forrest. A tube in a space ship. A slab of rock on a mountain. And so forth. With some model-variation. A selection of 3 porta potties. Not just throw THE ONE GALACTIC PORTA POTTY over and over again.
    Ok! Ok! I agree it would have been better if it were dynamic, and I'm sure there's probably a good reason why it wasn't.

But I can see no better weapon then a porta potty. Crush your enemies and humiliate and infect the wounded. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that all games should have you fling porta potties. That's right. ALL GAMES.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Seppli
    @Ragdrazi

Just imagine the Jedi Consular collects and compacts dust particles and such into a projectile and hurls it. Somewhat like a Hadouken. Just more earthen/dusty/bolts. That be a much better solution than 'Inifinite Porta Potty Force Power'. Yeah - if they wasn't lazy, they'd have a whole lot more variations of objects to hurl. That'd be okay too I guess. As long as the object thrown doesn't infringe on the environmental lore.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rattle618

It`s supposed to be dumb, this is Star Wars, remember? Just go with it.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@Ragdrazi said:
    That having been said, what would be better to hurl at your enemies with great force.
    Their friends, their pets or their family I'd presume.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By BraveToaster

Wouldn't it take longer for a Jedi to collect dust particles, and combine said particles into something that large? It sounds like Dragon Ball Z: the enemy stands there and watches someone power up this energy beam and does nothing but talk.  

They should have made the world somewhat destructible so you could fling broken bits of the environment, instead of unearthing the same porta-potty.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    @Ragdrazi said:
    Hmm. Killing people with the people and things they care about most. That is kinda twisted.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@Ragdrazi said:
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    @Ragdrazi said:
    Hmm. Killing people with the people and things they care about most. That is kinda twisted.
    Totally Sith material, so weird that the consulars get all the kinectics (I think).
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Seppli
    @Axxol said:

Wouldn't it take longer for a Jedi to collect dust particles, and combine said particles into something that large? It sounds like Dragon Ball Z: the enemy stands there and watches someone power up this energy beam and does nothing but talk.   They should have made the world somewhat destructible so you could fling broken bits of the environment, instead of unearthing the same porta-potty.

Guess it's an opener with lenghty cast time. Somewhere between 2-3 seconds cast time.  They'd easily fit enough cool looking frames in there for it to work.

Either way, I don't like the way this particular skill looks in action. As a big fan of 'cohesive' worldbuilding; this feels wrong and does spoil my immersion by showing the seams of SW:TOR being a game way too clearly. There just can't be a porta potty to be unearthed everywhere you go. And it certainly wouldn't always be the same porta potty everytime, as it currently is. It may be functional, but it's in bad taste.
    Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @Seppli: Stop saying porta potty over and over.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BraveToaster
    @Seppli said:
    @Axxol said:

Wouldn't it take longer for a Jedi to collect dust particles, and combine said particles into something that large? It sounds like Dragon Ball Z: the enemy stands there and watches someone power up this energy beam and does nothing but talk.   They should have made the world somewhat destructible so you could fling broken bits of the environment, instead of unearthing the same porta-potty.

Guess it's an opener with lenghty cast time. Somewhere between 2-3 seconds.  They'd easily fit enough cool looking frames in there for it to work.  Either way, I don't like the way this particular skill looks in action. As a big fan of 'cohesive' worldbuilding; this feels wrong and does spoil my immersion by showing the seams of SW:TOR being a game way too clearly. There just can't be a porta potty to be unearthed everywhere you go. And it certainly wouldn't always be the same porta potty everytime, as it currently is. It may be functional, but it's in bad taste.
    I agree with you. If you're going to make something massive, why not go the extra mile? Hurling dead bodies and broken equipment would be cool. The longer you charge the attack, the bigger the projectile. 
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Seppli
    @Ragdrazi said:

@Seppli: Stop saying porta potty over and over.

I'll show you instead. See the resemblence? And the lunacy of having those hidden under every surfarce in the entire game - for Jedi Consulars to unearth and hurl them at their leisure?

This is a...?
    This is a...?
    Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @Seppli: ... porta potty.
     And this is not.
     And this is not.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Seppli
    @Ragdrazi

I see the resemblence. Clear as day. Also - he's pulling that out of solid slate rock in a volcanic cavern. Talk about silly.
    Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @Seppli: Is that because you're a complete loon bat?
    Lotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lotus

Hahaha, well, light side powers are kinda boring in kotor1 anyways, if you wanna be a light side crazy magic dude, you have to put alot of points in charisma so you can use drain life and electricity... i guees they dont have alot to work with Seppli, only invisible push and cc.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JP_Russell

While I personally agree that it's dumb to not have that ability pull up something specific to the environment you're in...  I'm going to agree with the others that that does not look like a porta potty at all.  It looks like one of the random metal doohickey ship parts a jedi would pull out of a wall fixture inside a space ship or space station or something.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @Seppli said:

Also - he's pulling that out of solid slate rock in a volcanic cavern. Talk about silly.

Just now caught your edit. True that.

I mean, I can tell they wanted to make the object something Star Warsy, and so they chose an octangularly shaped piece of techno crap, and they they probably didn't have the resources to make it dynamic. Like I said though, I can see your point in wishing it were dynamic. At least they could have made it a little more generic-looking.
    Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
    SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SexualBubblegumX

It looks more like a generic gas/hydrogen/propane tank to me honestly. :/

herocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By herocide
    No Caption Provided
    Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @Herocide: There we go. Problem solved.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.