Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Possible race/class list.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Not sure if this is definitive but I'm taking a wild guess that we're close enough to the release date that there's not much going to change like races.
    That said, I do think most races are too humanoid like so swapping one or two between factions won't be much of a lore fuck or problem.

Source

• Human - All Classes
    • Zabrak - All Classes
    • Twi'lek - All Classes
    • Cyborgs - All Classes
    • Mirialan - Trooper, Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular, Smuggler
    • Miraluka - Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular
    • Sith Pureblood - Sith Warrior, Sith Inquisitor
    • Rattataki - Sith Warrior, Sith Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter, Imperial Agent
    • Chiss - Bounty Hunter, Imperial Agent
    Zabrak - Twi'lek - Cyborg - Mirialan - Miraluka - Sith Pureblood - Rattataki - Chriss  
    Zabrak - Twi'lek - Cyborg - Mirialan - Miraluka - Sith Pureblood - Rattataki - Chriss  
      Thanks to PenguinDust and his link for the lil picture mash up.

Not sure what the 'cyborg' race is all about but from what I could find online its what you would expect, a enhanced human(oid?) with implants and the like.
    Really need more info before there's anything to say about it though, but it does sound silly because the implants/etc were always present in KotoR games, but never in as an entire race form.

Personally I'm glad that Zabrak and Twi'Lek are possible for all classes, they're possibly the most known/loved races besides the typical humans.
    I do still miss Kel'Dor, Rodians and Wookiee, last ones would make good troopers and keep some diversity in the ranks of humanoids.

I'm a huge Twi'lek fan so for me this is great news.
    Anyone else relieved/not relieved with these combo's?
    Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Mirialan seems like a weird inclusion over some better known races, and didn't all the Miralukans get wiped out by Nihlus? I guess I'm a little behind on my lore.

Also where's my Ithorian Architect…

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Cataphract1014

Cyborgs are pretty much humans but with some metal instead of skin.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Wuddel

No Nautolans :(

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Wuddel said:

Also fuck games with restrictions like this that aren't DnD based. If I want to be a stunted little warrior freak, that should be allowed.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong
    @NeverDave: I'm still playing Kotor 2 (damn loadscreens) but from what the wiki tells me mr bad guy just took down an entire planet, I'm sure there's colonies of them somewhere, probably on more jedi related worlds since they have such an intense connection with the force.

Its a real shame there's no Mon Calamari, Rodians, Trandoshans or Nautolans, I know there's many races and not a lot of them can be (are allowed to by George) Jedi/Sith but it would do wonders for the non force user classes.
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By metal_mills

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@NeverDave: I'm still playing Kotor 2 (damn loadscreens) but from what the wiki tells me mr bad guy just took down an entire planet, I'm sure there's colonies of them somewhere, probably on more jedi related worlds since they have such an intense connection with the force. Its a real shame there's no Mon Calamari, Rodians, Trandoshans or Nautolans, I know there's many races and not a lot of them can be (are allowed to by George) Jedi/Sith but it would do wonders for the non force user classes.

I think it has to do with the story and romances. I guess they didn't want MonCal on Human action. Pretty much all the races are human-like.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Yummylee

So I take those humanoid slug creatures who talk in deep gurgling gibberish aren't in this a playable race. I'm not getting TOR, but if I were to that's definitely the race I would of gone for.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong
    @Abyssfull:  That's so you!

@Metal_Mills
    Squidfaces deserve love too! :(
    Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gargantuan

Twileks couldn't be Troopers and Bounty Hunters in the beta I was in.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By SamStrife

Way back when I first read all the playable species in the game, I was madly dissapointed. I understood why they \re including the ones they are and why they're excluding obvious other races but I wasn't happy about it.

That being said, after doing some research on the species, and watching whatever beta footage leaked onto the internet, I am now more than happy the launch species. They are all differant enough that it's cool. My Smuggler main is most certainly going to be Mirialan and when I play Empire I look forward to rolling a Chiss.

I am still mad disapointed that you can't create a Nautolan or a Togruta but I suspect that they will add them with an expansion or they may even be the species you unclock when you re-roll (the developers have hinted that you can unlock species when you create a new character.)

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By coakroach

They're all just humans with different skin colors and horns and stuff glued on to them. 
    It would be pretty cool if different races could speak in different languages... anyone know if this is happening?

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SamStrife

@coakroach: Sadly not, the reason they've choosen all the species they have is because they all speak galactic.

EDIT: Which annoys me a bit because every Twi'lek in the game will speak galactic, and that's obviously not ther native tounge.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#14  Edited By alistercat

Twilek bounty hunter all the way.

thedez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By thedez

race: Lando 
    class: space pimp

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They bitched out with all these boring humanoid races. The fact that a shitty game like STO offers more interesting race options than a Star Wars game is kind of embarrassing.

The argument about them being unable to speak Galactic basic is also pretty much false. 

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SamStrife

@S0ndor: How's it false? It's what the developers have said...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SamStrife said:

@S0ndor: How's it false? It's what the developers have said...

Throughout the films and the expanded universe there are hundreds of examples of all sorts of aliens speaking basic. The fact that it's not their first language is no argument. Even Greedo, whose mouth is shaped like a sucker, and the Kel Dor, who have almost no mouths at all, can speak perfect English. I'm sure they had their reasons for not including them (having to go through the trouble of designing all those faces most likely), but language was not one of them.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By penguindust

I didn't know what most of these races were so I cut & pasted this collage of the races excluding humans.  More info here.

Holding back on some races does give them a reason to release expansions "now with two new races" like WOW has done with much success.
    SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SamStrife

@S0ndor: Could Greedo speak English? It's been that long since I watched A New Hope...

And yeah, I see where you're coming from, it's gutting but I'm certain they'll add a load of favourites in expansions and stuff.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dingofighter

I read somewhere that different races, or maybe just classes for existing races, would be unlocked after reaching max level with another character. 
    Is that true, or was it just a rumor? 

Anyway, I just want the beta thingy to start so that I can mess around with the Character Creator.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SamStrife said:

@S0ndor: Could Greedo speak English? It's been that long since I watched A New Hope...

And yeah, I see where you're coming from, it's gutting but I'm certain they'll add a load of favourites in expansions and stuff.

Come to think of it, Greedo couldn't. Oops, I have brought shame upon my house.
    SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SamStrife

@MaFoLu: A developer let it slip, i think it's going to be in the game, they're just not talking about it yet.

@S0ndor: Ah ha! Maaaan I wish I could be a Rodian in the game.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gargantuan said:
    Twileks couldn't be Troopers and Bounty Hunters in the beta I was in.
    This is the latest build, fresh info so to speak.
    If you're still in beta feel free to chip in, via PM if need be.

@PenguinDust
    I was gonna edit the OP with pictures, I'll just lend the ones you used then, thanks^^
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Nice to see the Mirialan, Barriss Offee is one of my favourite characters.

@SamStrife said:

He could in the Clone Wars, which may have simply been because they didn't want an episode full of subtitles. I seem to remember quite a lot of outrage about it though.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Meowshi

The species selection for this game is horseshit.  This is Star Wars, and yet all we can play is multi-colored humans?

Rattakki are LITERALLY just bald humans with pale skin.  That's it!

Oh, and the funniest thing?  They are based on Assaj Ventress, who isn't even a member of the species due to retcons from The Clone Wars cartoon.  

Good job Bioware.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Meowshi
    @SamStrife said:

@coakroach: Sadly not, the reason they've choosen all the species they have is because they all speak galactic.

EDIT: Which annoys me a bit because every Twi'lek in the game will speak galactic, and that's obviously not ther native tounge.

That's not at all true.  Almost every species in Star Wars is capable of speaking basic, including Rodians, Hutts, and even one very stupid Expanded Universe Wookiee character.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jimbo

Lame.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By penguindust
    @TaliciaDragonsong: No prob.  I was reading through the list you provided and I was saying to myself "Okay, I know what a human and Twi'lik is, but who are all these other guys?"  I like Star Wars but I don't know the names of most races.  The same is true in Star Trek.  I know maybe 4 or 5 races, but if they weren't a regular cast member on a TV series, I'm at a loss.  With Star Wars it's even worse since they just pile them on.  I do remember the Hammerheads because I had a cool toy growing up, and I know Bothans because "many Bothans died..."  I had no idea that the Darth Maul race were Zabreks.  I just called them "spikey head guys". 
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SamStrife said:

I saw some beta footage and some species still have their own native tongue, the few Trandoshan npc's and the Sith Inquisitor companion Khem Val both speak in their own tongues.
    Twi'Leks, sadly, do speak galactic in the quests I've seen.

Perhaps a function to toggle would be nice, it would add for immersion but I got really sick of Kotor 1 when you had to talk with aliens for a longer while.
    Especially the sand people...gtfo.

@PenguinDust
    I'll admit, I was looking the names up too at first, and still use the picture you provided when I was reading the combo's again xD
    Thing is with the Star Wars races they have the strangest names for no obvious reasons. 
    Rodian, Trandoshan and Wookie are great fitting race names tho.
    rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

@Wuddel said:

:<

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Beaudacious

The humanoid races were chosen to simplify itemization, they only need to create male/female arrmor and it applies to all races. They basically were lazy bums with no creativity, and uncreative programmers unwilling to create a decent modeling tool set.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @Meowshi said:
    @SamStrife said:

That's not at all true.  Almost every species in Star Wars is capable of speaking basic, including Rodians, Hutts, and even one very stupid Expanded Universe Wookiee character.
    While I am no expert on Star Wars languagues, I can tell you that every twi'lek does NOT speak basic in the game.
    Avatar image for white_silhouette
    White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By White_Silhouette

I like the sith pure blood race and some of the lore behind them.. I'm sure there are a few races that have been held back for expansions and stuff down the road.. or that they couldn't get to work just right for the launch.

Lnin0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By Lnin0

So you can be a humanoid or a cyborg humanoid or a blue humanoid or a humanoid with horns. No WOOKIEE. No BUY!

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Meowshi
    @Cataphract1014 said:
    @Meowshi said:
    @SamStrife said:

While I am no expert on Star Wars languagues, I can tell you that every twi'lek does NOT speak basic in the game.
    ?? 

I just said that they could physically speak basic, not that they always do.
    TribalPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#37  Edited By TribalPlague

Will the races in the game have an advantage/disadvantage traits or their intention is purely cosmetic? If its purely cosmetic then it really makes no sense, I am hoping Bioware puts some stats into the races some general advantages and disadvantages so that there is a sense of deserved variety.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.