Reviews are coming in

• 75 results
#1 Edited by LethalKi11ler (1407 posts) -

PC Gamer gave it a very generous 93%. Surprised? I am not but then again I'm loving the hell out of the game.

Source

G4Tv gave it a great 5/5!!.

Source

#2 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -

Reviews 2 days after launch...

#3 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1407 posts) -

@canucks23: Take in account they have had the game since beta.

#4 Posted by Kiro_LeMark (65 posts) -

I've been playing for over a week now, and I'm just a guy that pre-ordered. I'm sure reviewers have had (hopefully) better access.

Good game getting good reviews. I guess there really are major review sites that aren't completely out of touch. This "I know better than your fun seems to imply" approach to critique is just ostentatious bullshit.

#5 Edited by mosdl (3229 posts) -

Early access was almost a week ahead of release.

#6 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

Review a mmo, right.

#7 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1330 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

Review a mmo, right.
#8 Posted by Nephrahim (1154 posts) -

@SirPsychoSexy said:

@Dagbiker said:

Review a mmo, right.
#9 Posted by PokeIkzai (385 posts) -

I won't be able to stay away from this game much longer. Darn you, holiday rush/craziness.

#10 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -
#11 Posted by Nadril (533 posts) -

As someone who has bought into the hype before... I'm waiting to see what people have to say about the game a few months down the line. 

Remember Age of Conan got pretty damn good reviews as well on launch and we all saw how that went. 

#12 Posted by Jolt92 (1558 posts) -

Seems like a success so far! Too bad I fucking hate MMO's, I'd play it otherwise.

#13 Posted by RetroVirus (1479 posts) -

I really just wish they had made KOTOR 3, but the fact this MMO exists probably means that will never happen.

#14 Posted by subyman (646 posts) -

No way would I want to play this at launch. Everyone fighting over spawns in the noob zones, no thanks. I played the beta and it was packed enough. I usually wait a few months before I jump into a new MMO.

#15 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
#16 Posted by coakroach (2492 posts) -

Those people must really fucking love Bioware writing (or EA money).

#17 Posted by Hector (3365 posts) -

From what I've seen it is a solid RPG game from BioWare. Not so sure about the MMO aspect of it.

#18 Posted by Jugglerman (58 posts) -

Yea, I hope GB takes their time to review the game properly. It helps to see how a MMO handles when the public has access to it.

#19 Posted by BeachThunder (12084 posts) -

Don't forget that PC Gamer gave Dragon Age 2 a 94...

#20 Posted by Clockwk (60 posts) -

@Roger_Klotz:

Same feelings here, but after I sunk incredible amounts of time into WoW over 4 years I am not allowing myself to get into it at all. I am so put off by anything MMO nowadays that I will not be playing this.

#21 Posted by HatKing (6021 posts) -

@RetroVirus said:

I really just wish they had made KOTOR 3, but the fact this MMO exists probably means that will never happen.

Hey it's not like they never made another Warcraft game after WoW came out! Oh wait...

#22 Posted by mosdl (3229 posts) -

The problem with KOTR is that LucasArts takes %s for the license, so Dragon Age/Mass Effect are more profitable as they are in house properties.

#23 Edited by Yummylee (22039 posts) -

Not since the release of Witcher 2 (which wasn't that long ago... my tolerance for missing out on an entire platform's worth of content is really starting to grind on me as of late) have I wished I had a computer that wouldn't melt when attempting to play a game post 2003.

#24 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

I almost feel like it's pointless to review an MMO.

#25 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

@HatKing said:

@RetroVirus said:

Hey it's not like they never made another Warcraft game after WoW came out! Oh wait...

They didn't make a warcraft game after WoW

What?

#26 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

Review a mmo, right.

Commenting without reading the reviews, original

right.

#27 Posted by Grillbar (1872 posts) -

@Roger_Klotz said:

God, it is becoming very hard for me not to buy this game.

yeah i dont care about SW and im kinda jaded after wow, but im still kinda interested in starting again just due to the interview and the QL

#28 Posted by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

That's all I needed to know. Print publications and their early reviews ... gotta love em!

#29 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I am hooked and happy. I'd strongly recommend SW:TOR to people who like MMOs, Star Wars and Bioware-style games. If you like one or more of these things, you are more than likely to enjoy SW:TOR.

For the Empire. I will be Emperor.

#30 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

Don't forget. Outside of asset recycling and a disappointing plot twist and a not-so-awesome narrative structure, many did enjoy the hell out of Dragon Age 2.

#31 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

@BeachThunder said:

That's all I needed to know. Print publications and their early reviews ... gotta love em!

Yep...

and let's be honest, EA will undoubtedly spend a couple millions (if that much is even necessary) into bribing major reviewers so their supposedly 300 million dollar project does much better. Who exactly is going to get the deals, who knows. But let's not fool ourselves, EA has done shit in the past and it is unlikely that they stop for this project, highly, highly unlikely.

And yeah PC Gamer would be the first obvious choice.

#32 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

So are they reviewing the beta, or one weeks worth of playing?

I guess they could just review the story, which is pretty well done, but that seems like such a small part of the game in the grand scheme of things.

It seems hard to review an MMO, especially when so much hinges on the endgame content and how well that holds up. As others have said, many MMO's have received high scores at launch but quickly became unpopular because of the lack of anything to do.

#33 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

@NaDannMaGoGo said:

@CptBedlam said:

@BeachThunder said:

Yep...

and let's be honest, EA will undoubtedly spend a couple millions (if that much is even necessary) into bribing major reviewers so their supposedly 300 million dollar project does much better. Who exactly is going to get the deals, who knows. But let's not fool ourselves, EA has done shit in the past and it is unlikely that they stop for this project, highly, highly unlikely.

So there's no chance the game is actually kinda good then?

#34 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

Your baseless speculation on bribes is not in any way interesting or relevant.

#35 Edited by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

@Meowshi said:

Your baseless speculation on bribes is not in any way interesting or relevant.

For you. Keep being naive then. Early "exclusive" reviews are always deals between publisher and publication that involve a certain minimum score etc. It's mainly print and IGN.

And this is not me saying this game isn't good or great. It's just that early reviews are pretty much useless and don't mean shit in this business.

#36 Posted by Extreme_Popcorn (842 posts) -

@Vodun said:

@NaDannMaGoGo said:

@CptBedlam said:

@BeachThunder said:

Yep...

Ain't no place for your that kinda thinkin' round this place boy, round these parts we believe if a game is published by EA or Activision and it get a good review there is no other explanation apart from underhanded bribery and such.

Honestly, I knew what this thread would be like before I even read it, people who have never and will never play the game bashing it because...well I don't know why. Heaven forbid if someone accused a magazine like...EDGE of taking bribes for a review of a Nintendo game because that could never happen right?

#37 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@canucks23 said:

Pretty much this. I'm loving the game, but reviewing an MMO 2 days after launch is like reviewing the demo of a game. Reviewing it off the beta gameplay is like, well, reviewing a beta.

That being said, I'm loving the game so far, despite some minor flaws. I just think this is rediculous.

#38 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

I'm loving this game nonetheless, perhaps because this game is the closest to RPG that Bioware has come in awhile (in my opinion!).

#39 Posted by StingerMK2 (386 posts) -

i hope this game is a massive success for Bioware, so they have a cash cow to keep them going whilst they take their time to make games i actually care about

#40 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

GB's own rough tough and dangerous said "reviews released before 2012: not meaningful" but a review on January 1st prooooooobably wouldn't be much better.

You're probably best off watching video of people playing (say, a "quick look") and deciding for yourself.

Because no way in any "reviews" have they hit the level cap and completed any amount of endgame stuff, or spent hundreds of hours in pvp or whatever it is you go to MMOs for.

#41 Posted by Cretaceous_Bob (519 posts) -

@Hector said:

From what I've seen it is a solid RPG game from BioWare. Not so sure about the MMO aspect of it.

Best thing I've heard about that game yet. Really all I ever wanted them to do is make another KOTOR game. I don't want to play an MMO. I liked Jade Empire, which was BioWare slathered all over a "meh" action game, I loved Mass Effect, which was BioWare slathered all over a "meh" shooter, so what I really want TOR to be is BioWare slathered all over a "meh" MMO.

#42 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

@Vodun said:

@NaDannMaGoGo said:

@CptBedlam said:

@BeachThunder said:

Yep...

I did not imply that at all so how about you don't ask such a stupid question?

#43 Posted by Neeshka (118 posts) -

MMOs appeal to an extremely niche audience. Most mainstream game reviewers aren't really the demographic that mmo's target.

MMOs are played by different people for very very different reasons.

If you are a hardcore raider or PvP'er; what you want from an mmo has almost nothing in common with what a casual gamer would want out of it.

Given that there is next to no information about end-game raiding and PvP; and that most reviews rarely talk about these things; they are largely meaningless.

#44 Posted by Mesklinite (807 posts) -

@canucks23 said:

I LOLed

#45 Posted by Vexxan (4623 posts) -

Review MMOs...mjeh.

#46 Posted by Karkarov (3172 posts) -

You guys are funny. Just in case anyone forgot the media has had many early looks at the game going back months, the release for a lot of people (like me) was 10 days ago, and as a person who likes KoTOR and MMO's I can tell you the game is worth it's purchase price just for the class stories alone. For those of you who hate MMO's here is a news flash! This game is an MMO, you hate them so you won't like this game! For those who are "meh" on MMO's but love KoTOR, buy the game and just play through the solo content until you are content with the story you see. Just bear in mind there are 5 chapters to every characters story and you hit max level around the end of chapter 3. So that might take a while playing through all that story stuff.

#47 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

First impression articles after a duration of a few days or week of play make more sense to me than reviews, MMOs can change so much that a review will get outdated too quickly and then you have to question whether or not the reviewer really tried everything out, which is doubtful when you look at how much content MMOs generally (should) have.

#48 Posted by PenguinDust (12550 posts) -

Of course there are going to be reviews. There are still a couple of Christmas shopping days left.

#49 Edited by BeepBeepBoop (95 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

People need to stop using this as a reason. It's a different person.

#50 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

Bought and paid for, like the ToR review.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.