RIP OFF

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GrindedStone (28 posts) -

Paid $60 for the game, took it home, installed it, patched it, signed up. Then after the huge pain in the ass I find out I have to spend another $30 just to launch it. There isn't anywhere on this earth that what just happened isn't a rip off.

#2 Posted by niko555 (116 posts) -

Dont you get a free month?

#3 Posted by wemibelec90 (1295 posts) -

No credit card? You should just have to enter a number to play, for validation reasons. If you bought an MMO without knowing you have to do such a thing, I can't really feel sorry for you. They have been doing this for years.

#4 Edited by Mr_Box (18 posts) -

Then you did something wrong. Just sayin.

Edit: To clarify, you get a month free after that you have to pay the standard $15/mo for an MMORPG. I can't really say where you got $30 from, some mystical number I guess.

#5 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

You went and spent 60 dollars without doing any research.

#6 Edited by animathias (1077 posts) -

Every MMO I've signed up for comes with a free month. However, every single one of them wanted me to sign up for a subscription before I could start playing, whether that meant entering my credit card information into a website or putting in a game time code.

Yes, it sucks if you don't have a credit card, and it could be considered a rip off. However, it's not just The Old Republic or EA that's doing it to you. That's simply how these games work. It was like that in 2004 when WoW launched, and it was like that on Tuesday when ToR launched.

Edit: Also, from the page where you buy it, and it's on the front of the box:

ACCEPTANCE OF END USER ACCESS AND LICENSE AGREEMENT (“EUALA”), PERSISTENT INTERNET CONNECTION, AND ACCOUNT REGISTRATION WITH ONE-TIME USE SERIAL CODE REQUIRED TO PLAY. MUST BE 13+ TO REGISTER. SERIAL CODE IS NON-TRANSFERABLE ONCE USED. PAID SUBSCRIPTION, VALID AND ACCEPTED PAYMENT METHOD OR PAID GAME TIME CARD (IF AVAILABLE) REQUIRED TO ACCESS GAMEPLAY. PAYMENT METHOD AGE RESTRICTIONS MAY APPLY. SWTOR ONLINE SERVICE MAY BE DISCONTINUED. SEE EUALA FOR DETAILS. AGREEMENT TO SHARE ACCOUNT INFORMATION WITH LUCASFILM ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY LTD. (“LUCASFILM”) IS REQUIRED TO ACCESS GAMEPLAY. GAME INTENDED FOR PLAY ONLY WITHIN NORTH AMERICA AND EUROPE. PRIVACY POLICY AND TERMS OF SERVICE AVAILABLE AT WWW.SWTOR.COM. ALL TERMS AND CONDITIONS TO PLAY THE GAME APPLY AT ALL TIMES. THE FIRST 30 DAYS OF SUBSCRIPTION ARE INCLUDED IN THE PURCHASE PRICE OF THE PRODUCT. SUBSCRIPTIONS MAY BE CANCELLED AT ANY TIME. SEE WWW.SWTOR.COM FOR DETAILS.
#7 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -

Life's a bitch and then you die. 

#8 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5118 posts) -

I bought The Old Republic and when I got home I found out I need a PC to play it. Fuck EA.

#9 Posted by nyv (59 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton said:

I bought The Old Republic and when I got home I found out I need a PC to play it. Fuck EA.

#10 Posted by niko555 (116 posts) -

All this hate on EA is getting really overboard.

Please remember all the good stuff EA has given us.

i myself think the good outweighs the bad by alot.

#11 Posted by Humanity (8013 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton said:

I was more upset that when I got to the store they asked me to PAY for it. What the fuck EA, no try before you buy??

#12 Posted by coakroach (2478 posts) -

Hey man if you dont pay the monthly fee how are they going to make sure the servers run smoothly?

Oh wait...

But seriously dude, do some damn research.

#13 Edited by Seppli (9773 posts) -

I find this gaming industry business practice highly questionable too. This is like the 3rd or 4th thread on the topic too. And it's been a shit storm every time with every major MMO release. Apologizers be damned, the way the 30 days of 'free gametime' are handled is definitely in bad taste. To put it mildly.

#14 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

@niko555 said:

Uh, like what? Elaborate.

#15 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5118 posts) -
#16 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

@Aus_azn said:

@niko555 said:

Origin.

#17 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton said:

@Aus_azn said:

@niko555 said:

Alice: Madness Returns

Battlefield 3 (and the others)

Burnout Paradise

Dead Space 2 (and 1)

Mass Effect 2

Mirror's Edge

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

and many others that I can't be bothered to remember right now.

I'd say that their percent-hit rate for good games is remarkably small, but I'm not sure how informed that statement would be. IMO, my EA list is:

• Burnout Paradise
  • Mass Effect series
  • NFS: HP

I'm not sure that they're a brilliant influence on Bioware, and most of their driving games are shit (the ones not developed by Criterion).

The only EA game I'm looking forward to now is SSX.

@valrog said:

@Aus_azn said:

@niko555 said:

Origin.

Shit! How could I have forgotten?!

#18 Posted by Rawrnosaurous (768 posts) -

@Seppli: It is thirty days of free game time, you just aren't understanding that process very well. If you purchase the game they give you 30 days free when you register the game, you have to set up a subscription for the game for a multitude of reasons.

• If you aren't satisfied with the game during your free month you can cancel the subscription without being billed
  • If you are satisfied you can just let it bill you without having to worry about navigating menus
  • It's an mmo they assume your going to make a subscription to the service if you went out and bought the game for 60 dollars
#19 Posted by project343 (2808 posts) -
@GrindedStone You need to register a card and select how you would like the billing to proceed after your first 30 days.

Just like every other MMO...
#20 Posted by Sitoxity (551 posts) -

People need to read more about buying things before they try to spend money on things. Especially MMO's.

No one deceived you, all the information is out there.

#21 Posted by Seppli (9773 posts) -

@Rawrnosaurous said:

@Seppli: It is thirty days of free game time, you just aren't understanding that process very well. If you purchase the game they give you 30 days free when you register the game, you have to set up a subscription for the game for a multitude of reasons.

• If you aren't satisfied with the game during your free month you can cancel the subscription without being billed
  • If you are satisfied you can just let it bill you without having to worry about navigating menus
  • It's an mmo they assume your going to make a subscription to the service if you went out and bought the game for 60 dollars

Apologize and rationalize all you want. It's a shitty practice. It's your right to see this differently, as it is mine to say it's a DICK MOVE. And nothing you list is for the convenience of the consumer really.

Everybody lacking a credit card buying the box in a shop will feel violated and ripped-off by this. Just reading your stupid list makes me angry all over again. I was past it and you brought it back up. I'm fucking done with subscriptions.

Shove it.

#22 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

Guys, we all know this is common practice among MMO publishers, but even if he didnt do any research at all (which is not ideal) this is still a ripoff.  
Just because a given market establishes certain conventions it doesnt mean such conventions are right, fair or even legal in some cases, consumers get dumber by the minute, and every single one of you that posted "You didnt research, you are dumb" to look clever are making fools of yourselves.   

Wake the fuck up and stop defending corporations that do not give a rat´s asshole about you.

#23 Edited by Seppli (9773 posts) -

Seriously. All the apologizers drive me fucking mad. When the reasonable thing to do is to take it up the butt quietly - I'm not going to be fucking reasonable.

I'm reasonable enough to bite the bullet, but I'll bitch and moan and flip the bird all the way. I call bullshit when I see it.

Still bought a GTC and playin' the game though. Principles are for retards and martyrs. Usually the same thing.

#24 Posted by alternate (2655 posts) -

I think some of you are being a bit hard on the OP.

Sure the info is out there but if you are new to MMOs then it really isn't common knowledge. Will some mumsie or grampa types buying for their young darlings read the fine print on the back of the box? or just assume they are ready to go for 30 days.

Also if it has been accepted practice for all MMOs, it doesn't make it a good thing. You pay your retail price and you get a months free as part of that payment. Really you shouldn't have to give them any billing details until the end of that month if you don't want to. Talk of convenience is fine but they obviously do it to encourage you to play on and in the hopes that some people will forget it auto-bills. Doesn't make it right though. People are annoyed when say Xbox Live auto-renews but MMOs get a pass?

#25 Edited by Seppli (9773 posts) -

100$ barrier of entry for a large percentage of consumers is HIGHWAY ROBBERY. If videogames taught me anything, then it's to freaking bash highway robbers heads in with a Battleaxe.

I frequently fell like braining the responsible parties when dealing with the gaming industry and their business practices. Circumstances permitting, I think I would have brained quite some people over the years.

#26 Posted by tekmojo (2298 posts) -
@nyv said:

@Mr_Skeleton said:

#27 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1400 posts) -

@wemibelec90 said:

No credit card? You should just have to enter a number to play, for validation reasons. If you bought an MMO without knowing you have to do such a thing, I can't really feel sorry for you. They have been doing this for years.

#28 Posted by The_Nubster (1953 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton said:

@Aus_azn said:

@niko555 said:

Alice: Madness Returns

Battlefield 3 (and the others)

Burnout Paradise

Dead Space 2 (and 1)

Mass Effect 2

Mirror's Edge

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

and many others that I can't be bothered to remember right now.

Extra Credits did a wonderful episode on how EA went from being a benevolent industry giant to a fraudulent sellout with questionable and degrading business practices. It doesn't paint EA as a greedy demon, but does well to show why EA's treatment of games is harmful to the public image of games as entertainment.

Here's a link if you're interested. It's a very cool watch, and it gives some valid points to mull over. http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/an-open-letter-to-ea-marketing

#29 Edited by Seppli (9773 posts) -

On the topic of EA. They're a rad outfit doing awesome shit. It's just they're dicks too and out to fuck you for all you're worth. I guess that's the price of doing business.

Upcoming EA games I look forward to...

• Kingdoms of Amalur : Reckoning (another animal shelter rescue like that Max Schaefer Heavy Metal game)
  • SSX
  • Mass Effect 3
  • All the Battlefield 3 DLC
  • Syndicate

...and I'm sure they'll reveal lots more 2012 games I care about soon enough. I've fond memories of playing EA sports games locally, though I've not yet jumped on the online wagon. I bet I'd be excited for the likes of FIFA and NHL too. Those games sure were rad during my childhood.

#30 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -
@Mr_Skeleton

Those greedy bastards.
#31 Posted by Jimbo (9712 posts) -

@Seppli said:

I find this gaming industry business practice highly questionable too. This is like the 3rd or 4th thread on the topic too. And it's been a shit storm every time with every major MMO release. Apologizers be damned, the way the 30 days of 'free gametime' are handled is definitely in bad taste. To put it mildly.

I completely agree. 'Everybody else does it!' does not make it ok. There is absolutely no justification for why people should need to buy a Game Time card or enter payment details before their 30 free days are up.

#32 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

I think the people who hate EA don't remember how they used to be, pre-Riccitello. The EA and Activision hate is different from my perspective. Activision's business practices are pretty much the same as EA for the consumer, EA is no better or worse. But clearly, Activision's practices as regards their devs is poisonous and is not a stable development model. EA seems like a publisher like Ubi or Capcom or Squeidos. Activision seems like a Call of Duty factory. When that fizzles out in five, ten years I have no idea what Activision will be.

#33 Posted by Renahzor (980 posts) -

@Jimbo: The amount of people who will be pissed about this is less than the number of people who will accidentally forget to cancel and pay for an extra month or more of game time. Justification be damned, I don't see this stopping any time soon for that simple reason.

#34 Posted by AlexW00d (6069 posts) -

@project343 said:

@GrindedStone You need to register a card and select how you would like the billing to proceed after your first 30 days. Just like every other MMO...

Except EVE online.

#35 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6077 posts) -

@Titus said:

Life's awesome for nine months, then it's a bitch and then you die.
#36 Posted by iAmJohn (6091 posts) -

@Rattle618 said:

Wake the fuck up and stop defending corporations that do not give a rat´s asshole about you.

It's sad that this incredibly correct statement applies to the entire enthusiast press and gamers in general, but that's the way the world works, I guess. :\

#37 Posted by TooWalrus (12991 posts) -

@Seppli: I'm not denying that it's a shady practice, I mean, there's really no reason a credit card should be required if you're only planning on playing for 30 days, but I also don't feel like customers who are outraged about this have the right to claim they were 'ripped off', when all this is printed on the front of the damn box- it's not like you have to dig into some licence agreement. He also doesn't need to pay an extra $30 like he's claiming to play, that's a blatant lie (unless he's claiming that he ONLY has access to prepaid cards- which he never mentions in the OP.)

#38 Posted by Gnomicidal (81 posts) -

I am denying it's a shady practice, because it's not. There is no "$100.00 barrier to entry". The game is sixty bucks.  It has warnings all over the box and all over the online literature before you buy it. You really want to "not take it up the ass from the man"? Don't buy the game and don't subscribe to the game.  There are plenty of other free to play MMOs out there that don't require this, so if you want to see change, go support those instead.

#39 Posted by excido (195 posts) -

I don't think it's a rip-off, you can call it bad practice to require you to setup your subscription details before you play but you aren't actually billed. Also for those talking about security there are plenty of banks and services that offer digital credit cards to hide your real account information. Also I would think that most people that are buying an MMO would be open to the the possibility of adding a credit card to your account, it's not like your buying a single player game that doesn't advertise a subscription and being asked to enter your credit card details for that. I can see why you call it bad practice but really? the way people are acting when being told they need to enter billing details to get their free time on an MMO is kind of ridiculous to me. but as others have said we are all entitled to our own opinions.

#40 Posted by Demoskinos (13927 posts) -

There's nothing shady about this. They have all that information upfront if your a dumbass and don't wanna read the fine print before you buy something then you deserve to get screwed over. Read the fine print before you buy something. Do some research and don't expect everything to be handed to you.

Any subscription service in the WORLD does this. Want that free month of Netflix? You need a valid credit card. Free month of Spotify? Credit card. Free month of the latest MMO? Credit Card.

#41 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton said:

EA made a Star Wars game. Bastards.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.