Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

So I just started playing SWTOR

paparoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By paparoach

And it's nothing like KOTOR nor Mass Effect. It's like a 5 year old MMO with painfully limited character creation options and a SW license. I feel bad for the people that spent $60 on this plus subscription, this is at t he same level with a MMO like Perfect World. The only saving grace is the story, which seems ok and the good voice acting.

Question: Is it worth it playing through 2 classes for the story? I am a Sith Lord now, but after I finish the chapter what class should I choose?

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By breadfan

I want to say yes, but I can't. I enjoyed SWTOR, and the story itself was pretty good, but it was such a pain in the ass to sludge through. You'll still be doing the exact same side quests, just on another character and end up getting burned out immediately.

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Dark

People where adamant in the forums about "The idea of SWTOR is the story, just reroll once you hit whatever the cap was and start a new storyline" to which I say, do you have any idea what makes an MMO actually have staying power? People ran out of stuff to do, didn't help that the game failed ealier than expected.

That and the actual game part was a bland WoW clone without the charms, polish or open world feeling like WoW has. As much as WoW has become a bad meme you have to admit, the first time you realise you have traveled half way across the world without a loading screen it does bring a sense of wonder to the planet. Its too bad the continent transitions have load screens.

paparoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By paparoach

@Dark: I actually felt some of that in Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning. There was a loading screen between all the area transitions and it really broke the "open world" illusion. Skyrim only loads between interior/exterior transitions.

I wonder how 38 Studios' MMO would have handed that?..

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Dark

@paparoach: It breaks the sense of wonder a little more, in MMO's I can understand instance transitions (although phasing in WoW would change that) however the ability to play for hours with NO loading screens in an open world game makes them feel giant. I like that endless feeling especially in an MMO where you are spending 20 days worth of game time doing stuff.

its one thing that broke up the open world feeling in SWTOR, it had essentially the same 'you can't go here because everything is to strong' as WoW but because of the loading screens it removed the open world feel even more.

HeyImPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By HeyImPhoenix

Play with a group of friends, makes it more fun and the conversations more varied!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#7  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @paparoach

And it's nothing like KOTOR nor Mass Effect. It's like a 5 year old MMO with painfully limited character creation options and a SW license. I feel bad for the people that spent $60 on this plus subscription, this is at t he same level with a MMO like Perfect World. The only saving grace is the story, which seems ok and the good voice acting.

Question: Is it worth it playing through 2 classes for the story? I am a Sith Lord now, but after I finish the chapter what class should I choose?

Wait, if you dislike it so much why are you still playing it? And why the fuck are you thinking about playing it twice?

That said, pick a Trooper for the best Republic story. Agent is probably the best story overall, but then you'll be rehashing all the planetary Empire quests.
    Rasmoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rasmoss

@paparoach: I was a huge fan of KOTOR so I forced myself through the Jedi knight story, hoping the game would somehow start to grab me. It didn't. And now I can barely remember anything about the story, it was so forgettable. Don't do it. It's not worth it.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Nephrahim

It's really just a bad game.

I'm planing on playing it a bit again because I hate myself, but I have no hopes about liking it.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Marz

yeah i'll have to throw in that the Imperial Agent story line was strong enough that i felt that it could hold it's own as a single player game if Bioware chose to do it.  But if you already played the empire side, it'll be hard going through all the planetary stories again because they are exactly the same pretty much.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By BoOzak

Just played through KOTOR2 recently because I completly forgot about everything that happend and I got to wondering, is it even canon? Is anything from the first two games even referenced in SWTOR? Because i'm not a big Star Wars fan but i'm a huge KOTOR fan.

Sorry to go off on a tangent but this game's also been on my mind but everyone tells me to stay the hell away. But it's cheap and F2P now so...

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By buft

@paparoach said:

I disagree, i Just finished KOTOR 2 and craving more i started playing through SWTOR as a F2P player, I started a Sith inquisitor and played through the prologue and was hooked, the story system and travel is almost identical to that of KOTOR, I subbed at level 30 and im around level 41 now having just finished chapter 2 of my class quest and moving on to the finale the story hasnt lost its pacing.

Avatar image for white_silhouette
    White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By White_Silhouette

@BoOzak: Yes but more so from Kotor 1 than 2. The timeline of SWTOR is about 500 years after the events of Kotor.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.