Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

So who will play this game?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Jeust

I know I will. What about you?

Anyone for a GB guild?

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Beaudacious

I think am canceling my pre-order, after playing in the beta for 3 hours. Its a carbon copy of WoW, and all chat is barrens chat. Also its ridiculously linear, i think i've played fps campaigns with more wiggle room.

Also the writing is utter garbage just like the Clone Wars Tv Show, and the "choices" of evil,good, witty get old really quick. Am sorry but i need a real big evolution in mmo gameplay if am gonna get back into mmo's, i played enough WoW for a lifetime.

Edit: I remember playing WoW for the first time and being blown away, off the bat by the world. Skyrim has just given me that feeling again, of wonder and amazement. My next mmo needs to wow me(pardon the pun) in any way to grab my interest, just "Good" isn't good enough in my view.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By CL60
    @Beaudacious said:

I think am canceling my pre-order, after playing in the beta for 3 hours. Its a carbon copy of WoW, and all chat is barrens chat. Also its ridiculously linear, i think i've played fps campaigns with more wiggle room.

Also the writing is utter garbage just like the Clone Wars Tv Show, and the "choices" of evil,good, witty get old really quick. Am sorry but i need a real big evolution in mmo gameplay if am gonna get back into mmo's, i played enough WoW for a lifetime.

The only linear part of the game is the tutorial. Which is up until you get your ship. And from the classes I played the writing wasn't bad at all. It was standard fair for Bioware games.
    fullmetal5550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By fullmetal5550

I intend on playing it.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jeust
    @Beaudacious said:

I got a preorder, and I'm waiting to play a lil bit to make my mind about spending 60€ on it. I wanted a good game with some social interaction. I hope this will do it. :P 

But I share your concerns.
    EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By EuanDewar
    @CL60 I thought you were leaving the site in protest or something?
    Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Beaudacious

@CL60: But After KOTOR, DOA, two ME games, and a demo of DOA 2 i think am done with standard Bioware fair/writing/dialog. I truly wanted to love this game but its just not happening. As soon as i logged into my new character, all my WoW habits kicked in instantaneously. Then when i started using the travel system, flying form place to place was eerily familiar, and after about the 5th time i just logged off with this weird nagging feeling of flying on a bat to blackrock.

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By amomjc

I will probably pick it up after a while. Just signed up for my 1 year sub. in WoW so I doubt many MMO's will nab me for a while.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#9  Edited By Brackynews

Put in about 5 hours tonight between a BH and a JK, stopping when the client crashed. I think it's got me. Moving along at a good pace through the tutorial.

I've played about 15 hours as a Blood Elf, and I never, ever read the quest notes in WoW, I just keep muttering "Remember the Sunwell" in public with no context. :/ Here, I don't even have subtitles turned on, I am genuinely interested in these characters, to a Fallout degree. A fully voiced MMO is as crazy as I thought it would be, but I like that kinda crazy.

Also, there are a bunch of "GB guild" threads already. We'll see who actually stays active once pre-launch early access lets us pick servers.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Sooty

I'm not comfortable with paying monthly for an MMO now that Guild Wars 2 is coming out with no subscription, and it looks better than TOR. (and is better from what I've heard from people who have played both)

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By coakroach

The game seems lackluster from the coverage and beta leaks i've seen.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Patman99

I plan on playing it. I like the general MMO structure and I love the Star Wars universe so this seems like a good choice for me.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By dagas

I'm super exited about it. I love the KotOR games so anything that is more of that I'll play. I've never gotten into WoW so even if the gameplay is like WoW it won't feel old to me. WoW in a universe I care about actually sounds very appealing. People seem to like WoW so that gameplay with a story and a setting I care about sounds in theory really awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

It's great.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By onarum

nope.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By zyn

I have it pre-ordered. So, yeah, sure.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jeust

Good luck to all! See you all around in the game!

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

After the weekend beta, yes, I will.

Loopah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Loopah

I feel like it would be weird paying monthly for this game when it feels more like a single player campaign then a game. I know I haven't ventured too far in quite yet, but unless the game gets more group oriented later on then I don't feel like it will last.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By breadfan

I plan on giving it a try. I haven't played much of the beta so far, but I like it so far.

DoctorLazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DoctorLazy

I played during the weekend beta. The negativity is absolutely baffling. The game is great.

Kaiji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kaiji

@DoctorLazy said:

I played during the weekend beta. The negativity is absolutely baffling. The game is great.

The game is bland, outdated and mediocre.

EA and MMOs are a match made in hell.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By xyzygy

@Sooty said:

I'm not comfortable with paying monthly for an MMO now that Guild Wars 2 is coming out with no subscription, and it looks better than TOR. (and is better from what I've heard from people who have played both)

This is where I stand.

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By senorfuzzeh

@Beaudacious said:

I think am canceling my pre-order, after playing in the beta for 3 hours.

The fact that you decided you didn't like the game after 3 hours says enough. That'd be like playing skyrim for ten minutes and saying "This game sucks."

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tunaburn

i played the beta all weekend. it was really fun. But, i cant see paying a monthly price for a game. I never have and i never will. $60 for the game and then $15 a month when there are tons and tons of free to play games out there just doesnt cut it to me. Hell, diablo 3 will be out soon enough and that will be free to play.

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MaddProdigy

I was going to until EA fucked me hard with BF3 and Origin. I didn't like not being able to play my game for multiple days at all, and I refuse to be subjected to the same treatment as a consumer again. EA and all their properties can suck a big one.

That said, I've been having doubts anyway ever since I saw the gameplay. The only MMO that will ever be superior to World of Warcraft is something different from World of Warcraft...that, I haven't seen.

They make a HUGE deal out of the whole "in depth" story system. Obviously, since it's pretty much their main selling point other than the brand Star Wars. But during the massive amount of time I've sunk into WOW (currently off the drip and have been clean for over half a year) I have never once given a fuck about the story. I never read the quests, I never pay attention to the characters. And I feel like this is how the majority of people play the game. There are definitely those that love the RP and story aspects. But out of thousands of players, I've literally never met A SINGLE ONE. Admittedly, I was a "hardcore" raider (how lame that sounds!) in the top guild on a server and the last thing on anyone's mind was story/RP. But still, even when questing/leveling I didn't see any of these people.

Maybe that's because it's WOW story, and no one cares. But I don't get the feeling that's what people necessarily want form their MMO. They want the social aspects, the level advancement, the cool gear, all the things that WOW has, in my bias opinion, perfected. Why go to another franchise for what is either equal, or a downgrade, in quality?

Anyway, we will see. But from what I've seen the gameplay, social aspects, and gear/leveling appear to very closely resemble WOW.

If anyone has another view, from a story lovers perspective, I would like to hear it by the way. This is simply my admittedly bias opinion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MaddProdigy Without breaking the beta NDA, I can say that I will probably play that game with the chat window turned off, only group with my friends, and have a better time than I ever did with WoW. I didn't read quests in WoW either, but I also didn't think about what Hucksley, undead priest thought about killing centaurs.
    DoctorLazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DoctorLazy

@Kaiji: Counterpoint: the game is original, innovative, and exciting.

Bioware and MMOs are a match made in heaven!

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jasta

Probably not. I only have enough time / mental capacity for one MMO in my life, even that I can't commit to.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jeust
    @Jasta said:

Probably not. I only have enough time / mental capacity for one MMO in my life, even that I can't commit to.

This is going to be my mmo. The game looks different from the batch of mmos you see around, and like mmos focus in multiplayer. So I think i'll give it a shot.  

Also I was up for a GB guild, but it's probably too late for it, as most people have or are in process of chosing a game guild.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jeust I'm in for a GB guild.
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By mazik765

@Sooty said:

Now if they'd only give us a release date :/

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @senorfuzzeh said:

@Beaudacious said:

The fact that you decided you didn't like the game after 3 hours says enough. That'd be like playing skyrim for ten minutes and saying "This game sucks."

But if you played Skyrim for 3 hours and thought it sucked, it'd be perfectly reasonable. 
    3 hours of ToR is more than enough to get a feel of how the gameplay works and what the story/missions will be like.  If you hate it after that.. then you're probably not going to change your mind playing any more of it.
    Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By Jayzilla

I will end up playing it to see what it's like. It's BioWare and Star Wars so it's a given that it will at least get a month from me. I think that is going to be BioWare's problem though. People are over the monthly sub. I just don't see myself playing more than a month of that game.

Guild Wars 2 on the other hand, they are doing something wholly new. I played the demo at ComiCon this year for GW2 and was completely blown away by just the small piece of it they were showing there.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Beaudacious

@senorfuzzeh: The fact that you discerned my entire opinion on an game form a single sentence says enough.

Oh and TOR is an mmo, so its exponentially more repetitive/rehashed then a single player game. In terms of variation within a short time span, you could easily argue you know more about TOR then a single player game like Skyrim with much greater variations in that time span. Its the main grind argument held against mmo's by people who don't like mmo's. So if you grind for 5 minutes or grind for 10 hours, a grind is a grind. Funny thing is you state that yourself by comparing 10 minutes of skyrim to three hours of TOR, while saying i didn't spend enough time. So whats the correct arbitrary ratio of TOR to Skyrim time to meet your majesties approval?

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Pinworm45

The beta was horrendous when I played it, it's the exact same thing as WoW. Not too interested

However, my group of friends is going to get it and I will play anything with them, because they make MMOs entertaining. So yes, I am getting it, but only for the social factor really.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jeust
    @Brodehouse said:
    @Jeust I'm in for a GB guild.
    Then I'll see the requirements, and post about the possible creation of a GB guild. :)
    grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By grilledcheez

No way

kevslider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By kevslider

After playing the beta I can definitely say that my pre-order is staying in tact and I will be playing early. I played a different class than the one I will be when it comes out and the Trooper is a beast!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By CL60
    @KevSlider said:

After playing the beta I can definitely say that my pre-order is staying in tact and I will be playing early. I played a different class than the one I will be when it comes out and the Trooper is a beast!

Trooper and bounty hunter are the only classes I haven't tried.
    Hewlitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Hewlitt

I'll get it, probably not on launch though

byterunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By byterunner

@MaddProdigy: Voiced Cut Scenes go a long way with pulling you into the story. Much more than a bland text box that no one reads.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#43  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Pre-ordered a couple weeks ago. Been watching a lot of beta videos and everything looks solid. I could see some comparison with the melee classes but range classes like the trooper is totally new in my view. The companions blow away WoW in every way and the SWTOR crafting system looks to be very in-depth and not a massive grind like WoW's system.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jetsetwillie

this games is going to have to be out-fucking-standing for me to even care about it. i loved Kotor and i like MMO's but with so much else to play at the moment then if its just 'ok' then i aint got time

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By senorfuzzeh

@WinterSnowblind said:

@senorfuzzeh said:

@Beaudacious said:

But if you played Skyrim for 3 hours and thought it sucked, it'd be perfectly reasonable. 3 hours of ToR is more than enough to get a feel of how the gameplay works and what the story/missions will be like. If you hate it after that.. then you're probably not going to change your mind playing any more of it.

Some games don't unfold until a couple hours in. Games that are MMOs are a good example, playing for 3 hours where you havent even probably gotten your own space ship is kind of unfair to already decide on the game.

Besides Beaudacious, it was already kind of proven that you have negative feelings towards the game with your lsat forum "Is the game going to be obsolete the day it comes out?"

It sounds like you had already made your decison before you played the game.

But you have the right to your opinion and you don't have to like the game.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jetsetwillie

there giving away beta keys over at eurogamer right not. be quick and you'll get one. i just got mine

Zaapp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By Zaapp1

I'd like to spend more time with it before making a decision, I've been burned before, but as far as MMOs I've played, I'd honestly say it was among the top 2 (the other being LotRO.) I just don't know that I've got the time anymore.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#48  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Bunch of sites are giving away keys. I know one site had 75k keys to give away. This is the stress test to end all stress tests and I think some free marketing to get people's attention.

arctusken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By arctusken

absolutely will play

Kaiji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Kaiji

@DoctorLazy said:

Bioware and MMOs are a match made in heaven!

Any evidence to back that up?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.