Some genius managed to get the Steam overlay working

#1 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -
#2 Posted by Dezztroy (794 posts) -

Thank you for this.

Time to spam my Steam friends with SWTOR screenshots they couldn't care less about!

#3 Edited by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -

Clearly photoshooped.

We all know that no-one who uses scripts has any friends, and you have at least 17 in that picture.

#4 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@emkeighcameron said:

Clearly photoshooped.

We all know that no-one who uses scripts has any friends, and you have at least 17 in that picture.

Now you made me cry.

#5 Posted by AlisterCat (5559 posts) -

I was going to say to you on steam "You know that doesn't work, right?" but then it totally did. I'll have to sort this out.

#6 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@AlisterCat said:

I was going to say to you on steam "You know that doesn't work, right?" but then it totally did. I'll have to sort this out.

I got a screenshot of it working!! :P

#7 Posted by SmasheControllers (2550 posts) -

Hey I'm in this picture!

#8 Posted by Matt (963 posts) -

Totally working, totally great!

#9 Posted by Beforet (2921 posts) -

Wait, what was stopping you from just using steam's "add a non-steam game" function? Doesn't that add the overlay?

#10 Posted by PokeIkzai (385 posts) -

Tag for when I pick this up tomorrow.

#11 Posted by AlisterCat (5559 posts) -

@Beforet: The game has a launcher and a main game executable. You have to use the launcher, and adding that will not keep it once that launcher opens the executable.

#12 Posted by iBePeRFeCT (396 posts) -

@SmasheControllers said:

Hey I'm in this picture!

Me too!

#13 Posted by avidwriter (667 posts) -

It doesnt work just be default? Ugh.

#14 Posted by Saltank (188 posts) -

Thanks, it works!

#15 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

@AlisterCat said:

@Beforet: The game has a launcher and a main game executable. You have to use the launcher, and adding that will not keep it once that launcher opens the executable.

Or you can run it through origin, add origin to steam and run it through there. Works for BF3.

#16 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

That guy really is a genius. I've wanted that overlay since the start. I've had to play the game in a bloody window so I could still chat.

#17 Posted by Cirdain (3089 posts) -
@Vodun said:

@AlisterCat said:

Or you can run it through origin, add origin to steam and run it through there. Works for BF3.

#18 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@Vodun said:

@AlisterCat said:

Still wouldn't work. The game doesn't use Origin, and as far as I know, the launcher even blocks you from using the Origin overlay if you do decide to launch the game via Origin.

#19 Posted by A_Cute_Squirtle (686 posts) -

Does anyone have that walk-through saved somewhere? They deleted the thread on the swtor forums.

#20 Edited by Option (32 posts) -
#21 Posted by Silock (238 posts) -

That's awesome. But couldn't you of done that anyway by just adding the swtor.exe to steam?

#22 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Silock
That's awesome. But couldn't you of done that anyway by just adding the swtor.exe to steam?
No. It wouldn't work. It would launch the launcher. Steam would detect that, then the launcher would close and steam said you werent playing anything.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.