Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

SW:TOR and other upcoming chores...

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

So it's my laundry day on the 13th. SW:TOR early access begins then too. Both of them feel like upcoming chores to me, only one of them actually being a chore. I dread the day.

MMORPGs as I know them boil down to working on an evergrowing laundry list of mechanically unfun chores. I grew to love WoW, it took me about a year on and off to truely fall for it. WoW fell from grace since, though I still do love it, at least after major iterations, when I can discover all new chores for my beloved avatar to grow by. I ain't got no character I love yet in SW:TOR and I'm not really sure I need or want one.

I think my field for WoW-template MMOs lies fallow and there's nothing here for SW:TOR to harvest. I'll do my time and then it will drop off the face of my world in no time. Wierd - how things change. When it was first announced, I was over the moon. Since - I've grown incredibly bored with the genre, to the point where it literally puts me to sleep. I wonder how I'll feel in a month. I try to give it an honest go. I doubt that will help much.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Marz

cancel your pre-order, get out while you can... seriously if you already know you won't like it, why force yourself...

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Funkydupe

Again with the "chores"? Geez.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Bwast

"You must do the things you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Listen to Little Nell.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Funkydupe

Its like the "convince me why I should play -insert game title here-" threads, but with mustard.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By Seppli

@Marz said:

cancel your pre-order, get out while you can... seriously if you already know you won't like it, why force yourself...

@Funkydupe said:

Again with the "chores"? Geez.

I'd love a little KotOR in my life. I just have to try. Getting into MMOs is always a chore. It pays off with dividends, if I do. Despite core mechanics often being more of a chore than a joy.

MMORPGs are built with tedium and are by nature tedious, doesn't mean I cannot enjoy my job coaching a Sith or Jedi in the ways of the Force. In fact I'd like that. Even if just for a little while.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Funkydupe

@Seppli: I like your posts on here Seppli but man, maybe you should just take a step back and think it over. Nobody should play a game they don't enjoy, that's among my top rules when gaming. If I don't enjoy it, I put it down, no matter what I paid for it, and no matter if there's 29 days left on the sub I paid in full.

I think that its all in how you pace yourself, and what you want from your game. It is highly viable to play MMOs casually, shoulders-down. Log an hour or two once in a while. TOR actually made me think about the story sometimes, and why I was hacking down 20 each of some random stuff was given context. I definitely won't say that's the case for it all, and I did feel the tediousness during the last beta weekend. It is there. Absolutely. It is that type of game. Then again, I never played WoW extensively so I might not be as burned out as some others are.

EDIT: Also what's more is that its utter BS that everyone expects that an MMO will last them for years. So what if you didn't play your MMO for 7 years, if you only truly enjoyed two months. People need to snap out of that mindset. I'm sure there are plenty of hardcore players that'll exhaust TOR in a matter of months.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I think you shouldn't play.

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By matt

@Funkydupe said:

@Seppli: I like your posts on here Seppli but man, maybe you should just take a step back and think it over. Nobody should play a game they don't enjoy, that's among my top rules when gaming. If I don't enjoy it, I put it down, no matter what I paid for it, and no matter if there's 29 days left on the sub I paid in full.

I think that its all in how you pace yourself, and what you want from your game. It is highly viable to play MMOs casually, shoulders-down. Log an hour or two once in a while. TOR actually made me think about the story sometimes, and why I was hacking down 20 each of some random stuff was given context. I definitely won't say that's the case for it all, and I did feel the tediousness during the last beta weekend. It is there. Absolutely. It is that type of game. Then again, I never played WoW extensively so I might not be as burned out as some others are.

EDIT: Also what's more is that its utter BS that everyone expects that an MMO will last them for years. So what if you didn't play your MMO for 7 years, if you only truly enjoyed two months. People need to snap out of that mindset. I'm sure there are plenty of hardcore players that'll exhaust TOR in a matter of months.

Pretty much this. If you don't like it, don't play it.

It's pretty simple really...

Dunchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Dunchad

Well, I'm looking at SWTOR like a singleplayer game set in MMO enviroment. I don't plan on doing quests that I can't solo nor will I raid. I will play the characters whose stories I'm interested in and I will see them through to the end - then I will end my subscription. I will only resubscribe for expansions if they provide new story content.

To me, this is a KotOR game with unnecessary features that I can hopefully ignore.

So if you're worried about it since it's an MMO - from what I've seen and experienced of the game, it's entirely possible to disregard most of that. Most likely you'll still have to do quest grinding to level up for your story quests - but other than that, it shouldn't take over your life unless you want it to.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By project343

Doesn't sound like you enjoy RPGs with how bored you sound. With that lack of enthusiasm, I get the impression that a sidequest in Dragon Age: Origins might make you want to fall over dead. All games are, to some extent, repetitive work (a common discussion). If you're not enjoying a game, you notice this. If you are enjoying a game, you don't notice this. I'm going to go ahead and tell you to avoid this game.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By coakroach

Play it with the Giant Bomb community! Or your own friends!

If your not going to do either of those you can probably skip this along with any other MMO.

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Floppypants

I'm buying SWTOR because I had fun playing through the quests.  Coming from WoW, I was blown away that each individual class has its own unique storyline.  I know I will get my money out of the game just playing a single character to level 50.
    Add to that the massive amount of free time I have now between semesters, it's just the right game at the right time.  My Darth Malgus statue is going to look funny next to my stuffed murlocs from BlizzCon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.