Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

SWTOR has 752,655 reservations and growing...

TribalPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By TribalPlague

Found an interesting article where they mention that an estimated amount of pre-orders for the game is around the 752,655 number. Do you think SWTOR will reach a million subscribers by launch? Is this a good number or a declining number in your opinion?

Per VGchartz:

(only the top ten listed, if you want to see the whole table check out the main site)

PosNameConsoleWeeks to LaunchWeekly ChangeTotal
    1Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3X3602406,2502,386,019
    2Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3PS32195,752968,794
    3The Elder Scrolls V: SkyrimX3602162,522966,417
    4Star Wars: The Old RepublicPC856,014752,655
    5The Legend of Zelda: Skyward SwordWii468,675521,500
    6Halo: Combat Evolved AnniversaryX360364,066475,142
    7Assassin's Creed: RevelationsX360340,062471,768
    8Uncharted 3: Drake's DeceptionPS3182,300437,122
    9The Elder Scrolls V: SkyrimPS3262,136350,613
    10Mass Effect 3X3601917,069296,252
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Andorski

Launch subscription numbers are meaningless. Real success can be determined when the free month(s) that comes with the game expires and people re-up their subscriptions.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By RE_Player1

I pre-ordered it on Tuesday when I picked up Uncharted 3. Can't wait to play even if my current computer is a little above the minimum requirements.

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By amomjc

@Andorski said:

Launch subscription numbers are meaningless. Real success can be determined when the free month(s) that comes with the game expires and people re-up their subscriptions.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gike987

Never ever trust VGchartz.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By cornbredx

No, it wont reach a million by launch.. That's still pretty good considering the games not out yet. Although I guess pre-orders are becoming more common.

I suspect it will be a decent launch, what with early access and what not, but like first poster here said the real indicator of sucess will be the second and third month resubs. If they can't keep people around the game is not technically a success (supposedly altho most MMOs dont have the type of numbers wow does, a MMO can be a success without those numbers).

I am hoping for the best, though. I'm excited for it.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Karkarov

VGChartz is always inaccurate especially with pc games. They don't count things like digital distribution for example.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RE_Player1

@CornBREDX: If they pull off the story aspect of it right I can see many people subscribing for multiple months. I think this MMO more than any other will have people playing a variety of classes and races due to the different story lines. Personally I want to run through the game with a bounty hunter all the way to max level and when I feel like that story has run it's course and has reached a conclusion I'm going to roll a trooper and do it again.

Also, if these numbers are to be believed, I do think it will hit a million pre-orders by launch considering digital pre-orders aren't tracked. People who can't get their hands on that $150 collector's edition bundle will pre-order the digital collector's edition on Origin. In terms of actual sales this will be a beast on day 1, probably going to rival Battlefield 3's numbers.

Avatar image for starfishhunter9
    Starfishhunter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Starfishhunter9

Yes the mass effect has started!

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Simplexity

Not to be overly negative or anything but this always happens, people go "OH SHIT ITS A WOW KILLER" and run out and buy it/preorder it, for then to promptly quit 2 months in, maybe this one is different though.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RE_Player1

@Prodstep: This will be different. It's not going to hit 12 million like World of Warcraft but it's not going to drop off dramatically like Warhammer or any other MMO of late.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Brendan

I'm pretty impressed with Mass Effect 3, actually. I wonder if it's pre-order numbers will increase by much closer to launch, or if it's just that die-hard fans that comprise the bulk of it's consumer base have mostly already bought in early.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Simplexity

@msavo: I dunno man. I am not going to let myself get fooled again though, currently sitting on copies of Age of Conan, Warhammer and Aion. What a waste of money that was.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By NathHaw

I've had mine paid in full for quite a while now. Doesn't surprise me all that much. People have pretty much considered this one as the only competitor to WoW for quite a while now. Rift had a few believers, I guess, but it was nothing like this. Probably will be fun for a little while. I don't think it'll be six or seven years worth of fun like WoW was for me, but I hope it's a nice change of pace for a few months anyway.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By DarthOrange

Isn't this only for the US? It has probably passed this number world wide seeing as how those Europeans like them some PC.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Claude

I doubt I will ever be one. Actually, you can probably count on it.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I bet you its well over a million already with digital copies and Europe. And I have to agree that vgchartz is a pretty lousy source for anything.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.