They should've just merged.

• 80 results
#1 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I don't see the point of these transfers when they could've just merged the servers. Sure, the transfers did fix the population issues and a lot of servers that you can transfer to now have upwards of 350+ people on the fleet, but now they're just spending money on shit loads of servers nobody will ever use.

#2 Posted by adoggz (2070 posts) -

i'm sure they will, eventually.

#3 Posted by Jimbo (10007 posts) -

It's time for it to become one with The Force.

#4 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

So are you ever going to stop saying they should shut down the game? Or what? Even when it's not relevant to the topic, nor would it even make sense to shut down an MMO that has 1 million + subs.

#5 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

TORtanic, tehehehehehehe.

On-topic: they'll probably do something with them eventually.

#6 Posted by Jimbo (10007 posts) -
@Cloudenvy said:

*high fives*
#7 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Told you guys this would happen.

#8 Edited by Irvandus (2899 posts) -

They need to merge the servers, having transfers does help though. They had way too many at launch. ToR the game slowly being killed by preset expectations.

#9 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1843 posts) -

probably will eventually

#10 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

@CL60 said:

now they're just spending money on shit loads of servers nobody will ever use.

Maybe they could rent them out to Blizzard.

trollface.jpg

#11 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1843 posts) -

@Ravenlight: but WOW is dropping subs too

#12 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid: I was referring more to the lagmonster that Blizz keeps buffing every time they patch Diablo III ;)

#13 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid said:

WoW has millions of subscribers, as in double figures worth of millions, they could afford to drop half their active subscriber base and still be a ridiculously profitable game and company.

#14 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1843 posts) -

@Hamz: didnt say it wasnt profitable just said it was losing subs

#15 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1843 posts) -

@Anwar: apparently maple story has more than ever :[

#16 Posted by Jimbo (10007 posts) -
@Anwar said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@Hamz: didnt say it wasnt profitable just said it was losing subs

I'm talking completely out of my ass, but I would say every subscription service is losing subs except for new ones which just started.

WoW was growing for several years.  TOR was growing for launch day.
#17 Posted by blueduck (964 posts) -

They need to keep the servers for when the game goes free to play.

#18 Posted by believer258 (12211 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

Looks like EA and Bioware have both sunk to new lows.

#19 Posted by Doctorchimp (4055 posts) -

I'm sure when they go Free-To-Play they'll need the extra server space.

#20 Posted by Subjugation (4743 posts) -

Embrace the incoming free-to-play.

#21 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7100 posts) -
@connerthekewlkid

@Subjugation: flagged

He didn't do anything wrong. It's not a funny picture but nothing against the forum rules.
#22 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1917 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid said:

@Subjugation: flagged

For what? This isn't the BioWare forums.

#23 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid: Somebody is irritable!

#24 Posted by Yummylee (22579 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

Haha

#25 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1843 posts) -

@Cloudenvy: well when people decide to act like idiots just because its bioware and guild wars 2 fanboys i do get upset

#26 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1843 posts) -

@Jimbo: actually after the free month was up sir

#27 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid: Well, that's too bad.

#28 Posted by Subjugation (4743 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid: Actually I was highly anticipating the game before it released because I had such good prior experiences with Bioware (Baldur's Gate, KoToR, NWN, DA:O) but I reevaluated after I saw how it turned out. Being unable to acknowledge the problems a game has would fall more in line with being a "fanboy".

#29 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1843 posts) -

@Subjugation: never said it didnt have problems just said that people are idiots for constantly trying to yell F2P and saying tortanic

#30 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1843 posts) -

@Ravenlight: oh well i havent played it so i wouldnt know

#31 Posted by DoctorWelch (2765 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid said:

What world do we live in.

#32 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4833 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid said:

Que? But it doesn't have a sub fee

#33 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1843 posts) -

@BabyChooChoo: it has somekinda pay per month for extra exp thing

#34 Posted by Levio (1786 posts) -

@DoctorWelch said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

Oh come on, check out this epic boss fight!

Star Wars never had a chance.

#35 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1843 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot: whos stanley woo?

#36 Posted by DoctorWelch (2765 posts) -

@Levio said:

@DoctorWelch said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

Oh come on, check out this epic boss fight!

Star Wars never had a chance.

HAHAHAHA! I am literally dying over here...oh my.

I've lost all words, and no longer have any sense of reality.

#37 Posted by familyphotoshoot (654 posts) -
@connerthekewlkid:  A former BioWare employee/infamous moderator on the BSN.  
#38 Posted by Turambar (6898 posts) -
@DoctorWelch said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

A world where free to play has managed to do rather well for a very long time now.  It shouldn't be surprising at all actually.
#39 Posted by DoctorWelch (2765 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@DoctorWelch said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

A world where free to play has managed to do rather well for a very long time now. It shouldn't be surprising at all actually.

No, I'm fine with free to play...but...maple story? I guess I should be happy those people aren't playing farmville...I guess?

#40 Posted by lxXShiroXxl (12 posts) -

@DoctorWelch: Farmstory is a better version of mapleville, I play it with all of my friends on Myface.

#41 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4833 posts) -

@DoctorWelch said:

@Turambar said:

@DoctorWelch said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

A world where free to play has managed to do rather well for a very long time now. It shouldn't be surprising at all actually.

No, I'm fine with free to play...but...maple story? I guess I should be happy those people aren't playing farmville...I guess?

Maplestory honestly isn't that bad. A bit grindy and a bit childish maybe, but at it's core, it's surprisingly functional and just plain fun. And hell, it has more content that most MMOs could ever dream about. I haven't played it in years, but honestly, I don't recall many bad memories of it.

#42 Edited by jakob187 (21763 posts) -

@Irvandus said:

They need to merge the servers, having transfers does help though. They had way too many at launch. ToR the game slowly being killed by preset expectations.

They actually didn't have ENOUGH at the launch of the game, which is why they added a ton.

Most people that played know what caused all these problems: the failed launch of 1.2. With the drastic nerf to Sorcs and BHs as healers, as well as just how unfinished the new instance and raid felt, people jumped ship. It's the way things work in the MMO industry - a non-rapid response to a patch that you had going in a beta phase and then launched with tons of problems causes a shit show that no one wants to see.

If people had stuck around for just one more week afterwards, they would've seen things fixed and people would be playing as normal.

I still contest that The Old Republic is an excellent game. I enjoyed every second that I spent in that world. My sole problem was that the 1.2 patch killed the server I was on. We went from having 120-200 people on fleet at any point to having 10 people on fleet in prime time hours. They didn't offer merges and transfers early enough. Those should've been available a MONTH after launch.

I will end up re-subbing at some point in the future, especially once the new level cap hits. Unfortunately, I just cannot justify the price tag when the team has acted so ineptly on many points in their patching. If they go free-to-play, all the better.

As for the haters, fuck 'em and feed 'em fish guts.

#43 Posted by jakob187 (21763 posts) -

Also, I should point out to people that EA and Bioware have always stated that the game would remain profitable and viable at 500k subscribers. Unfortunately, because of the reaction of idiots and trolls on the internet (many of whom have probably not laid a single finger on this game in the first place), the negative reputation being administered to the game is pushing them to look at the free-to-play option. EVEN THEN, it's not like free-to-play is a bad thing. DDO is an excellent MMO that has THRIVED because of the free-to-play model, as is LOTRO. It's already looking like Tera and Rift are considering that route as well, and a lot of it is because that's just where MMOs are heading.

When you see many free-to-play games being successful and pulling the numbers they pull, it's impossible for most games to even try to exist in the subscription model against WoW. If anything, the WoW killer that everyone has been talking about for ages...is free-to-play. We know that Blizzard's subs are bleeding, and we know that Mists of Pandaria is their reaction - to try and pull people back in with these promises of "oh, it's going to be like vanilla and BC, it's going to be what you want it to be". Ya know, the same promises they made about Cataclysm...and then went back on.

Just some food for thought.

#44 Posted by Turambar (6898 posts) -
@BabyChooChoo said:

@DoctorWelch said:

@Turambar said:

@DoctorWelch said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

Maplestory honestly isn't that bad. A bit grindy and a bit childish maybe, but at it's core, it's surprisingly functional and just plain fun. And hell, it has more content that most MMOs could ever dream about. I haven't played it in years, but honestly, I don't recall many bad memories of it.

It was incredibly grindy, had little to no loot variation, all builds were min maxed all too hell, and 90% of the population attempted to level in about 10% of the areas.  The game itself really was pretty bad.

That said, what Maple Story had going for it when it came out was that it didn't look or play like almost any of its MMO contemporaries.  Everything else at the time were 2d isometric point and clicks or was 3d needed a subscription.  That alone was able to get it a large, and long lasting player base.
#45 Posted by Lotus (214 posts) -

@CL60 said:

I don't see the point of these transfers when they could've just merged the servers. Sure, the transfers did fix the population issues and a lot of servers that you can transfer to now have upwards of 350+ people on the fleet, but now they're just spending money on shit loads of servers nobody will ever use.

Are you really worry about the money they are spending on servers? fuck, that´s, i don´t even understand...

#46 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4833 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@BabyChooChoo said:

@DoctorWelch said:

@Turambar said:

@DoctorWelch said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

It was incredibly grindy, had little to no loot variation, all builds were min maxed all too hell, and 90% of the population attempted to level in about 10% of the areas. The game itself really was pretty bad. That said, what Maple Story had going for it when it came out was that it didn't look or play like almost any of its MMO contemporaries. Everything else at the time were 2d isometric point and clicks or was 3d needed a subscription. That alone was able to get it a large, and long lasting player base.

Well...when you put it that way...

lol. yeah, I guess that's true. I can't even count the number of times I fought with people over leveling spots. Well, in my opinion then, I thought it was fun. Stupid, but fun.

#47 Edited by EXTomar (4951 posts) -

"Server Mergers" are a dirty word in MMOs. On the other hand "Free Transfers" while quietly removing low pop servers from lists like "Create new character" is much more euphemistic.

But your point is essentially correct. They should have just brought down the servers and forced character moves and removed old servers because the user transfer mechanism breaks guilds and legacy where if they just did it on a system level they could have kept a lot of it intact with a few fudges.

#48 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7100 posts) -

@lxXShiroXxl said:

@DoctorWelch: Farmstory is a better version of mapleville, I play it with all of my friends on Myface.

You seem to be overly defensive about Maple Story. Why?

#49 Edited by Ares42 (2800 posts) -

@Hamz said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

WoW has millions of subscribers, as in double figures worth of millions, they could afford to drop half their active subscriber base and still be a ridiculously profitable game and company.

No, it doesn't. It has somewhere around 4-6 million subscribers (might be less now actually), and then a large Asian userbase that pays per hour. It's sort of important to realize that distinction, as the average Asian user brings in way way less money than a "normal" subscriber. It's the unfair comparison most other MMO has to deal with, as they don't launch in Asia or even if they do they don't attract a large audience there.

#50 Posted by EXTomar (4951 posts) -

Uh...Blizzard makes a ton of money on purchased vanity items and premium products. They could lose half of their subscription base and still be fine because all they would need to do is release another sparkle pony collect the money. Really, this is the other big lesson Bioware failed to figure out with SWTOR.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.