Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

UI Customization, Expanded Legacy, Warzones, Flashpoints.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By CL60
    Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By SmasheControllers

Can't wait to see more from this game. Legacy, if done right, sounds awesome!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By jakob187

UI customization. That's all I needed to here. The UI in the game right now is alright, but I have a very specific way that I want my UI to be at all times. This is going to make me thoroughly happy.

However, the Legacy stuff seems...I mean, do I HAVE to put all of my other characters into the same family tree? It would really suck if everyone was forced to have the same last name, ya know? Can I pick and choose which characters belong in my family tree?

As for the guild features, that is stuff that should've been in the game day 1. That's almost inexcusable beyond the fact that everyone can look at the game and tell "all this content being released is stuff that they couldn't fit into the release schedule but was going to be in the final game". I'm fine with it, though, as I think this is a better strategy for them: have content to release all the time and keep the game fresh and exciting.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Oldirtybearon

oh, so THAT'S what the Legacy thing is.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SlashDance

@jakob187 said:

UI customization. That's all I needed to here. The UI in the game right now is alright, but I have a very specific way that I want my UI to be at all times. This is going to make me thoroughly happy.

However, the Legacy stuff seems...I mean, do I HAVE to put all of my other characters into the same family tree? It would really suck if everyone was forced to have the same last name, ya know? Can I pick and choose which characters belong in my family tree?

I think you'll have to pick a new server for that. I started a new character and he has the same name as the last one.

Now I have a Jedi Knight and an Imperial Agent with the same name, which is weird.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ShadyPingu

Still don't know what Legacy does, but at least we know it's coming.

Personally I'm holding out for a dungeon finder.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ajamafalous
    @jakob187: Legacy name is the same across all characters on your account on a per-server basis. So if your first character is a Jedi Sentinel and when you finish Act 1 and pick your legacy name, you pick Skywalker, any other characters on that server (Empire or Republic) will also be forced to use the Legacy name Skywalker. Also, Legacy names must be unique, so only one account per server can have the Legacy name Skywalker, for example.

I know what you're thinking, and yes, it is poorly thought out and implemented.
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#8  Edited By StarvingGamer

So Legacy makes it easier to level alts?

Because that's all I really wanted. Maybe that and some gear that scales as you level.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Was that a Miralukathingie on Korriban as a Sith something?
    Probably gonna allow cross faction races like Chiss or Miraluka for the other faction.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Funkydupe

"Sith Happens" - That's a very good guild name. :)

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By project343
    @Encephalon It's fair to assume that some of the legacy features will be similar to World of Warcraft's heirloom gear. If a server-wide XP boost can be earned via legacy leveling, I wouldn't be shocked atoll.
    Ketchupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ketchupp

Meh, I'm still glad I cancelled.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Cool stuff.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Jaktajj

I LOVE the way he moves the map into the top right screen ala WoW. This is awesome news though, I love this game and I love what i've seen so far - I hope it continues as strong. I've been waiting 7 years for a WoW killer - I think this game might be it. Then again, perhaps its because WoW is dying of old age........

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CL60

@ajamafalous said:

@jakob187: Legacy name is the same across all characters on your account on a per-server basis. So if your first character is a Jedi Sentinel and when you finish Act 1 and pick your legacy name, you pick Skywalker, any other characters on that server (Empire or Republic) will also be forced to use the Legacy name Skywalker. Also, Legacy names must be unique, so only one account per server can have the Legacy name Skywalker, for example.

I know what you're thinking, and yes, it is poorly thought out and implemented.

You're not forced to use it as your last name. You can turn it off completely or have it just under your name as

"The *name* Legacy"

It's hardly poorly implemented. It's used as a way for people all across the server to know who you are regardless of the character you're on.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ajamafalous
    @CL60 said:

@ajamafalous said:

You're not forced to use it as your last name. You can turn it off completely or have it just under your name as

"The *name* Legacy"

It's hardly poorly implemented. It's used as a way for people all across the server to know who you are regardless of the character you're on.

I mean, yes, you're correct that you can turn it off or be part of "the <legacyname> Legacy," but I don't think it should be unique, and I don't think all of your characters should be forced to have the same legacy name. I wanted my different characters to have different surnames. I've also read many complaints from husband/wife couples who both wanted the same last name (which is more than understandable). I think it would've been smarter to separate the Legacy and surname systems.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CL60

@ajamafalous said:

@CL60 said:

@ajamafalous said:

"The *name* Legacy"

I mean, yes, you're correct that you can turn it off or be part of "the <legacyname> Legacy," but I don't think it should be unique, and I don't think all of your characters should be forced to have the same legacy name. I wanted my different characters to have different surnames. I've also read many complaints from husband/wife couples who both wanted the same last name (which is more than understandable). I think it would've been smarter to separate the Legacy and surname systems.

They could've done it like that sure, and many may have preferred it. But that isn't what they were going for when they came up with the system. They were going for something that would link across all of your characters that would be unique to you so people would recognize you on different characters. Similar to how some MMOs use your account name for all of the characters you make.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ajamafalous

@CL60 said:

@ajamafalous said:

@CL60 said:

@ajamafalous said:

"The *name* Legacy"

They could've done it like that sure, and many may have preferred it. But that isn't what they were going for when they came up with the system. They were going for something that would link across all of your characters that would be unique to you so people would recognize you on different characters. Similar to how some MMOs use your account name for all of the characters you make.

Yeah, I would've preferred that they handled names the way STO and (I believe) Champions Online do, with the account.char naming convention. It's not the most elegant solution, but it probably would've worked better for them if you could pick any name combination you wanted (with it being story driven and all). Or hell, just separate surnames from legacy names and have both. Keep legacy names unique, but allow you to have any surname you want.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By amir90

Saw the video yesterday, cannot wait for the new war zone .

Leekspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Leekspin

WTB dual spec so I can quest as dps and pvp/instance as heal

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I'm 2/3 of the way to legacy level 3. Its almost addicting trying to get that higher and higher. But overall, I'm quite excited to see how the game expands in all area besides crappy pvp that ruins pve.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.