Usual EA Behavior as Unsubscribe Button Disappears from SWTOR

• 64 results
#1 Edited by MaddProdigy (1041 posts) -

Original source - http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/19/swtor-unsubscribe-goes-missing-for-some/

Apparently the Unsubscribe button has disappeared from the SWTOR account page for some users, just one day before they are to be automatically billed for another month of game time. Bioware blames an as yet undiscovered issue with "certain types of browsers", and is apparently investigating. In the meantime, they are hard at work deleting any threads involving a workaround that some players have discovered.

There are a few issues I have with this. Obviously if this was done on purpose it is completely ridiculous. Those are shady business practices if I've ever heard of them, and Bioware (or EA I can't tell who is running the show) is going to have a massive shit storm on their hands if they don't fix it by tomorrow, if not various law suits or a class action of some kind. The fact that this only happened a day before people are to be automatically billed is what elevates this from dumb web engineers to sketchy behavior in my opinion.

But hey, what about those potentially dumb web engineers. EA's apparently thinks the hot new thing is to make all your games go through a web portal, and yet now their web portal doesn't work with "certain browsers". If you're service requires a browser in any way, it should work with all of them no excuses. Even if these are not shady business practices, this is a huge issue and has arrived with insanely poor timing.

I understand it's barely news that EA is either fucking up hard or screwing over its customers, but I think the word should be spread. Ever since my own personal Origin double charging me for BF3 fiasco, I myself am not purchasing EA products. They seem to me to be the Exxon Mobile of video games, a money chasing bully even more so than Activision.

#2 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

quick lets overreact NOW!!!

#3 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8607 posts) -

EA's sites have always sucked.
They're anything but handy.

This'll go well for EA though, more fuel for the hate fire.

#4 Posted by stinky (1554 posts) -

i dont get it. why would anyone want to unsubscribe?

#5 Edited by Moreau_MD (401 posts) -

Shady tactics indeed! If they are doing it on purpose, then people need to get legal. Simple as. Never heard of a more underhanded, pathetic ruse in all my life- particularly if they're purposely taking down work-rounds as you say. I honestly don't get all the panic that EA's is sending out around this game though. I for one love TOR, but the company's premature desperation is really off putting.

#6 Posted by wewantsthering (1594 posts) -

I agree with most of what you say expect for the "If you're service requires a browser in any way, it should work with all of them no excuses," line. That's completely not true. There are too many browser versions/variations to support all of them. A company has to look at the numbers and figure out the top 3-4 browsers their users use and target those browsers. Do you really expect them to support IE6?

#7 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3116 posts) -

This wouldn't be much of a story if they weren't actively warning users and deleting threads where people are discovering ways to get around this. That's ridiculous and downright suspicious.

#8 Edited by AxleBro (793 posts) -

that's fun i guess. i dunno how i feel either way. however, i do enjoy hating EA. because... you know.... origin sucks.

#9 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@Make_Me_Mad said:

This wouldn't be much of a story if they weren't actively warning users and deleting threads where people are discovering ways to get around this. That's ridiculous and downright suspicious.

Its total bullshit that bioware is locking topics, about this and deleting work arounds one thread got locked because it was posted in genral instead of Customer service, and one thread a mod actualy posted the workaround them self.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=202856&page=2

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?s=0df06447b92325235ad9899ec9c1229d&t=199124&page=2

#10 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

I read this and immediately checked my account to make sure nothing fishy was going on. If something is, then that's really effed up of EA. But I couldn't find anything wrong with my account, using the latest version of Chrome.

#11 Posted by stinky (1554 posts) -

@wewantsthering:

why can they code the subscribe button to work in all browsers but yet the unsubscribe is hit or miss?

#12 Posted by MeierTheRed (4941 posts) -

Lets all kill every single EA employee, im sure its their fault even though its a Bioware run site.

#13 Posted by chilibean_3 (1697 posts) -

Saying the browsers just went all crazy all of sudden with poor timing is questionable but it's the locked thread thing that makes me give it the side eye.

#14 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@stinky said:

@wewantsthering:

why can they code the subscribe button to work in all browsers but yet the unsubscribe is hit or miss?

well, you know.

#15 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

@stinky said:

@wewantsthering:

You fool!

It obviously takes months to program a proper button. People died from exhaustion of getting it done right.

#16 Posted by Arker101 (1472 posts) -

Everyday it keeps getting worse better.

#17 Posted by wewantsthering (1594 posts) -

@stinky: If it was on purpose, I would think it would work consistently.

#18 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

It was there for me. I cancelled because I'm waiting for a gamecard. When I hit cancel and no longer have a recurring sub it's no longer there.

#19 Posted by AgnosticJesus (545 posts) -

I seem to remember a similar situation when premium subscribers of Giant Bomb would go to end their subscription but instead it would renew it. Everyone acted like it wasn't a big deal and obviously a glitch. Of course we can't have the same reaction to EA's issue because they're a big evil corporation, right?

#20 Posted by chrissedoff (2167 posts) -

There's nothing wrong on my account.

#21 Posted by Veiasma (194 posts) -

@AgnosticJesus said:

I seem to remember a similar situation when premium subscribers of Giant Bomb would go to end their subscription but instead it would renew it. Everyone acted like it wasn't a big deal and obviously a glitch. Of course we can't have the same reaction to EA's issue because they're a big evil corporation, right?

It's more fun to board the HATE TRAIN and bash EA like we did Activision last year.

#22 Posted by Patman99 (1620 posts) -

@CL60 said:

It was there for me. I cancelled because I'm waiting for a gamecard. When I hit cancel and no longer have a recurring sub it's no longer there.

Yeah, I have a game card and there is no "cancel subscription" button but that makes sense as it is non-recurring.

#23 Posted by Grimluck343 (1160 posts) -

Cancelled my account earlier today. Latest version of Firefox.

#24 Edited by Doctorchimp (4055 posts) -

@AgnosticJesus said:

Where Giantbomb was like 10 dudes...

EA is a huge corporation, and this is beyond weird coming off of the 1.1 patch which didn't go over too well with people saying it effectively ruined the PvP balance on those servers.

#25 Posted by Moreau_MD (401 posts) -

@Make_Me_Mad said:

exactly this.

#26 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@Moreau_MD said:

@Make_Me_Mad said:

exactly this.

They aren't doing that. I've seen them actually GIVE somebody the link to cancel. But regardless, if it were on purpose it wouldn't be there for anybody. But it's not. Most people still have the button there.

#27 Posted by 71Ranchero (2834 posts) -

OH GOD, EA IS WORKING WITH THE DEVIL! OH NO MAYBE THEY ARE THE DEVIL!

#28 Edited by CornBREDX (6044 posts) -

The moon landing was fake too, you guys. We never really landed on the moon. And The CIA actually assisinated JFK too, it's all in the film I have with a blurry picture that is most definitely bigfoot. They dont want you to know the truth man! It's out there.

Conspiracy theories are fun. =)

#29 Posted by aspaceinvader (257 posts) -

I'm enjoying the game but it does have some issues. When I want to play it on my Alienware laptop(best laptop I have for gaming) the server browser does not work at all even with the updates, there is no firewall or antivirus software stopping it working it just does not work, uninstalled it and reinstalled it same shit. The only way I can play it is on a 2 year old acer laptop with no problems except I cannot run it at full graphics ability as the laptop can handle it maxed out. Other than that problem i have enjoyed it so far.

#30 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

Im glad to see everyone is reacting accordingly, and with all the facts.

#31 Posted by jakob187 (21762 posts) -

I had no problem finding it yesterday on Chrome.

Mind you, I applied a game card right afterwards.

However, this is just hoopla being created for nothing.

#32 Posted by Moreau_MD (401 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@Moreau_MD said:

@Make_Me_Mad said:

exactly this.

They aren't doing that. I've seen them actually GIVE somebody the link to cancel. But regardless, if it were on purpose it wouldn't be there for anybody. But it's not. Most people still have the button there.

Oh, OK good. I was misinformed then.

#33 Posted by Warchief (661 posts) -

just checked my account the button was there, and I canceled my subscription. [still have 119 days of game time left]

#34 Posted by Jayzilla (2571 posts) -

mine is still there.

#35 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

i unsubscribed today easily. Fuck that game.

#36 Posted by joshth (508 posts) -

This is seriously just ridiculous. The workaround is there. People can use it. They're not deleting threads to keep people from subscribing. EA may not always be right, but they're certainly not as evil as everyone would seem to like them to be...

#37 Posted by OhdK2 (48 posts) -

I'm actually having trouble upgrading my subscription plan, so :: shrug::

#38 Posted by Jeffsekai (7054 posts) -

@doobie said:

quick lets overreact NOW!!!

I was going to post a picture of someone being mad, can't find anything. I am disappointed in my pictures on my computer.

#39 Edited by SagaciousJones (142 posts) -
#40 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

@SagaciousJones said:

Also, let's not fill this thread with "WELL IT WORKED FOR ME" posts.

I personally want to see "well it worked for me" posts. Along with the "no, it didn't work for me" posts. I'd like to see how major or minor this problem is, and wild speculation only obscures the facts.

#41 Posted by Hunkulese (2875 posts) -

@MaddProdigy said:

Original source - http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/19/swtor-unsubscribe-goes-missing-for-some/

Apparently the Unsubscribe button has disappeared from the SWTOR account page for some users, just one day before they are to be automatically billed for another month of game time. Bioware blames an as yet undiscovered issue with "certain types of browsers", and is apparently investigating. In the meantime, they are hard at work deleting any threads involving a workaround that some players have discovered.

There are a few issues I have with this. Obviously if this was done on purpose it is completely ridiculous. Those are shady business practices if I've ever heard of them, and Bioware (or EA I can't tell who is running the show) is going to have a massive shit storm on their hands if they don't fix it by tomorrow, if not various law suits or a class action of some kind. The fact that this only happened a day before people are to be automatically billed is what elevates this from dumb web engineers to sketchy behavior in my opinion.

But hey, what about those potentially dumb web engineers. EA's apparently thinks the hot new thing is to make all your games go through a web portal, and yet now their web portal doesn't work with "certain browsers". If you're service requires a browser in any way, it should work with all of them no excuses. Even if these are not shady business practices, this is a huge issue and has arrived with insanely poor timing.

I understand it's barely news that EA is either fucking up hard or screwing over its customers, but I think the word should be spread. Ever since my own personal Origin double charging me for BF3 fiasco, I myself am not purchasing EA products. They seem to me to be the Exxon Mobile of video games, a money chasing bully even more so than Activision.

Isn't about time to start slinging some hate towards Bioware?

#42 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

EA killed my father.

#43 Posted by Animasta (14727 posts) -

@Hunkulese: but, but... EA! my kawaii moe bioware can do nothing wrong!

#44 Posted by RIDEBIRD (1233 posts) -

It's Mythic. What did you expect?

#45 Posted by MaddProdigy (1041 posts) -

@wewantsthering: Okay admittedly my wording was poor. I was referring to the top 5 browsers I know of (the ones with largest market share). IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera.

#46 Posted by MaddProdigy (1041 posts) -

@AgnosticJesus: EA has literally hundreds of millions of dollars invested in this. They also have hundreds of engineers. Giantbomb has a puny fraction of that. Your comparison is pointless.

#47 Posted by Brodehouse (10130 posts) -
#48 Posted by Yummylee (22574 posts) -

@Sooty said:

EA killed my father.

And BioWare raped my mother. They never even completed her loyalty mission first, those... those... Renegades!

#49 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

@Veiasma said:

@AgnosticJesus said:

It's more fun to board the HATE TRAIN and bash EA like we did Activision last year.

wonder who we will have to hate next year or whether it just alternates between EA and Activision.

#50 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.