Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Usual EA Behavior as Unsubscribe Button Disappears from SWTOR

• 64 results
    MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MaddProdigy

Original source - http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/19/swtor-unsubscribe-goes-missing-for-some/

Apparently the Unsubscribe button has disappeared from the SWTOR account page for some users, just one day before they are to be automatically billed for another month of game time. Bioware blames an as yet undiscovered issue with "certain types of browsers", and is apparently investigating. In the meantime, they are hard at work deleting any threads involving a workaround that some players have discovered.

There are a few issues I have with this. Obviously if this was done on purpose it is completely ridiculous. Those are shady business practices if I've ever heard of them, and Bioware (or EA I can't tell who is running the show) is going to have a massive shit storm on their hands if they don't fix it by tomorrow, if not various law suits or a class action of some kind. The fact that this only happened a day before people are to be automatically billed is what elevates this from dumb web engineers to sketchy behavior in my opinion.

But hey, what about those potentially dumb web engineers. EA's apparently thinks the hot new thing is to make all your games go through a web portal, and yet now their web portal doesn't work with "certain browsers". If you're service requires a browser in any way, it should work with all of them no excuses. Even if these are not shady business practices, this is a huge issue and has arrived with insanely poor timing.

I understand it's barely news that EA is either fucking up hard or screwing over its customers, but I think the word should be spread. Ever since my own personal Origin double charging me for BF3 fiasco, I myself am not purchasing EA products. They seem to me to be the Exxon Mobile of video games, a money chasing bully even more so than Activision.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By doobie

quick lets overreact NOW!!!

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

EA's sites have always sucked.
    They're anything but handy.

This'll go well for EA though, more fuel for the hate fire.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By stinky

i dont get it. why would anyone want to unsubscribe?

Moreau_MD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Moreau_MD

Shady tactics indeed! If they are doing it on purpose, then people need to get legal. Simple as. Never heard of a more underhanded, pathetic ruse in all my life- particularly if they're purposely taking down work-rounds as you say. I honestly don't get all the panic that EA's is sending out around this game though. I for one love TOR, but the company's premature desperation is really off putting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I agree with most of what you say expect for the "If you're service requires a browser in any way, it should work with all of them no excuses," line. That's completely not true. There are too many browser versions/variations to support all of them. A company has to look at the numbers and figure out the top 3-4 browsers their users use and target those browsers. Do you really expect them to support IE6?

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

This wouldn't be much of a story if they weren't actively warning users and deleting threads where people are discovering ways to get around this. That's ridiculous and downright suspicious.

AxleBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AxleBro

that's fun i guess. i dunno how i feel either way. however, i do enjoy hating EA. because... you know.... origin sucks.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By Dagbiker

@Make_Me_Mad said:

This wouldn't be much of a story if they weren't actively warning users and deleting threads where people are discovering ways to get around this. That's ridiculous and downright suspicious.

Its total bullshit that bioware is locking topics, about this and deleting work arounds one thread got locked because it was posted in genral instead of Customer service, and one thread a mod actualy posted the workaround them self.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=202856&page=2

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?s=0df06447b92325235ad9899ec9c1229d&t=199124&page=2

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read this and immediately checked my account to make sure nothing fishy was going on. If something is, then that's really effed up of EA. But I couldn't find anything wrong with my account, using the latest version of Chrome.

No Caption Provided
    stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By stinky

@wewantsthering:

why can they code the subscribe button to work in all browsers but yet the unsubscribe is hit or miss?

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MeierTheRed

Lets all kill every single EA employee, im sure its their fault even though its a Bioware run site.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By chilibean_3

Saying the browsers just went all crazy all of sudden with poor timing is questionable but it's the locked thread thing that makes me give it the side eye.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dagbiker

@stinky said:

@wewantsthering:

why can they code the subscribe button to work in all browsers but yet the unsubscribe is hit or miss?

well, you know.

NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo

@stinky said:

@wewantsthering:

You fool!

It obviously takes months to program a proper button. People died from exhaustion of getting it done right.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Arker101

Everyday it keeps getting worse better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stinky: If it was on purpose, I would think it would work consistently.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CL60

It was there for me. I cancelled because I'm waiting for a gamecard. When I hit cancel and no longer have a recurring sub it's no longer there.

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AgnosticJesus

I seem to remember a similar situation when premium subscribers of Giant Bomb would go to end their subscription but instead it would renew it. Everyone acted like it wasn't a big deal and obviously a glitch. Of course we can't have the same reaction to EA's issue because they're a big evil corporation, right?

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By chrissedoff

There's nothing wrong on my account.

veiasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By veiasma

@AgnosticJesus said:

I seem to remember a similar situation when premium subscribers of Giant Bomb would go to end their subscription but instead it would renew it. Everyone acted like it wasn't a big deal and obviously a glitch. Of course we can't have the same reaction to EA's issue because they're a big evil corporation, right?

It's more fun to board the HATE TRAIN and bash EA like we did Activision last year.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Patman99

@CL60 said:

It was there for me. I cancelled because I'm waiting for a gamecard. When I hit cancel and no longer have a recurring sub it's no longer there.

Yeah, I have a game card and there is no "cancel subscription" button but that makes sense as it is non-recurring.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Grimluck343

Cancelled my account earlier today. Latest version of Firefox.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Doctorchimp

@AgnosticJesus said:

Where Giantbomb was like 10 dudes...

EA is a huge corporation, and this is beyond weird coming off of the 1.1 patch which didn't go over too well with people saying it effectively ruined the PvP balance on those servers.

Moreau_MD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Moreau_MD

@Make_Me_Mad said:

exactly this.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CL60

@Moreau_MD said:

@Make_Me_Mad said:

exactly this.

They aren't doing that. I've seen them actually GIVE somebody the link to cancel. But regardless, if it were on purpose it wouldn't be there for anybody. But it's not. Most people still have the button there.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By 71Ranchero

OH GOD, EA IS WORKING WITH THE DEVIL! OH NO MAYBE THEY ARE THE DEVIL!

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By cornbredx

The moon landing was fake too, you guys. We never really landed on the moon. And The CIA actually assisinated JFK too, it's all in the film I have with a blurry picture that is most definitely bigfoot. They dont want you to know the truth man! It's out there.

Conspiracy theories are fun. =)

aspaceinvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By aspaceinvader

I'm enjoying the game but it does have some issues. When I want to play it on my Alienware laptop(best laptop I have for gaming) the server browser does not work at all even with the updates, there is no firewall or antivirus software stopping it working it just does not work, uninstalled it and reinstalled it same shit. The only way I can play it is on a 2 year old acer laptop with no problems except I cannot run it at full graphics ability as the laptop can handle it maxed out. Other than that problem i have enjoyed it so far.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dagbiker

Im glad to see everyone is reacting accordingly, and with all the facts.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By jakob187

I had no problem finding it yesterday on Chrome.

Mind you, I applied a game card right afterwards.

However, this is just hoopla being created for nothing.

Moreau_MD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Moreau_MD

@CL60 said:

@Moreau_MD said:

@Make_Me_Mad said:

exactly this.

They aren't doing that. I've seen them actually GIVE somebody the link to cancel. But regardless, if it were on purpose it wouldn't be there for anybody. But it's not. Most people still have the button there.

Oh, OK good. I was misinformed then.

warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By warchief

just checked my account the button was there, and I canceled my subscription. [still have 119 days of game time left]

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By Jayzilla

mine is still there.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By scarace360

i unsubscribed today easily. Fuck that game.

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By joshth

This is seriously just ridiculous. The workaround is there. People can use it. They're not deleting threads to keep people from subscribing. EA may not always be right, but they're certainly not as evil as everyone would seem to like them to be...

OhdK2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By OhdK2

I'm actually having trouble upgrading my subscription plan, so :: shrug::

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jeffsekai

@doobie said:

quick lets overreact NOW!!!

I was going to post a picture of someone being mad, can't find anything. I am disappointed in my pictures on my computer.

SagaciousJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SagaciousJones
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SagaciousJones said:

Also, let's not fill this thread with "WELL IT WORKED FOR ME" posts.

I personally want to see "well it worked for me" posts. Along with the "no, it didn't work for me" posts. I'd like to see how major or minor this problem is, and wild speculation only obscures the facts.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Hunkulese

@MaddProdigy said:

Original source - http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/19/swtor-unsubscribe-goes-missing-for-some/

Apparently the Unsubscribe button has disappeared from the SWTOR account page for some users, just one day before they are to be automatically billed for another month of game time. Bioware blames an as yet undiscovered issue with "certain types of browsers", and is apparently investigating. In the meantime, they are hard at work deleting any threads involving a workaround that some players have discovered.

There are a few issues I have with this. Obviously if this was done on purpose it is completely ridiculous. Those are shady business practices if I've ever heard of them, and Bioware (or EA I can't tell who is running the show) is going to have a massive shit storm on their hands if they don't fix it by tomorrow, if not various law suits or a class action of some kind. The fact that this only happened a day before people are to be automatically billed is what elevates this from dumb web engineers to sketchy behavior in my opinion.

But hey, what about those potentially dumb web engineers. EA's apparently thinks the hot new thing is to make all your games go through a web portal, and yet now their web portal doesn't work with "certain browsers". If you're service requires a browser in any way, it should work with all of them no excuses. Even if these are not shady business practices, this is a huge issue and has arrived with insanely poor timing.

I understand it's barely news that EA is either fucking up hard or screwing over its customers, but I think the word should be spread. Ever since my own personal Origin double charging me for BF3 fiasco, I myself am not purchasing EA products. They seem to me to be the Exxon Mobile of video games, a money chasing bully even more so than Activision.

Isn't about time to start slinging some hate towards Bioware?

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#42  Edited By Sooty

EA killed my father.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43  Edited By Animasta

@Hunkulese: but, but... EA! my kawaii moe bioware can do nothing wrong!

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By RIDEBIRD

It's Mythic. What did you expect?

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MaddProdigy

@wewantsthering: Okay admittedly my wording was poor. I was referring to the top 5 browsers I know of (the ones with largest market share). IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera.

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MaddProdigy

@AgnosticJesus: EA has literally hundreds of millions of dollars invested in this. They also have hundreds of engineers. Giantbomb has a puny fraction of that. Your comparison is pointless.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#48  Edited By Yummylee

@Sooty said:

EA killed my father.

And BioWare raped my mother. They never even completed her loyalty mission first, those... those... Renegades!

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jetsetwillie

@Veiasma said:

@AgnosticJesus said:

It's more fun to board the HATE TRAIN and bash EA like we did Activision last year.

wonder who we will have to hate next year or whether it just alternates between EA and Activision.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By jetsetwillie

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.