Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

When does the price drop to $15?

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Jrinswand

What the title says. They've said "August," but for some reason I have it in my mind that it's going to be tomorrow. Can anybody lend some truth to this? Has Bioware said when they are dropping the price of admission to $15?

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By connerthekewlkid

i think exactly a month before it goes F2P

so i guess late august

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jrinswand
    @connerthekewlkid said:

i think exactly a month before it goes F2P

so i guess late august

As Darth Vader would say, "NOOOOOO!!!" I need it to be cheaper now!

I found this article over on Kotaku that says August 7th is the day that SWTOR drops the price to $15. I don't usually make a habit of believing anything Kotaku says but in this case I can't see a reason that they would lie.
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I doubt many people are going to run out and buy a game for $40 that they know is on the verge of a price drop and going F2P, so I don't see why they wouldn't drop the price very soon.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@Jrinswand: there probably right

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Benny

@Chaser324: Probably a lot of people who don't know as well.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@Benny: Well, any time you throw a recognizable name like Star Wars on a game, you're bound to pull in quite a few less informed casual gamers. So you're right, they probably can sell some more copies at the current price point, but it's not going to be enough to hit the critical mass of users where this game becomes profitable.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Benny

@Chaser324: They're on record saying 500,000 subscribers was their break even point and they only recently fell below a million. It's the sharp decline that's got them so worried, not that they're not making profit from it. The problem is that in 6 months time they might not be.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jrinswand

I've only been playing the free trial but I can't for the life of me figure out why the game got some of the hate (or general disinterestedness on the part of gamers) that it did. It seems to be really well put together.

Anyway, I would rather buy it at a reduced price now than wait for it to go F2P later because my time is more valuable than my money. I'm going to be in the thick of teaching/learning this coming semester, when it becomes free for everybody.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@Benny: OK, point taken. I guess their real concern is that GW2 and WoW are about to steal away a ton of the serial MMO players.

MstrMnyBgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By MstrMnyBgs

@Jrinswand said:

I've only been playing the free trial but I can't for the life of me figure out why the game got some of the hate (or general disinterestedness on the part of gamers) that it did. It seems to be really well put together. Anyway, I would rather buy it at a reduced price now than wait for it to go F2P later because my time is more valuable than my money. I'm going to be in the thick of teaching/learning this coming semester, when it becomes free for everybody.

If you mean you've only been playing the 1-15 free trial, then you are correct and it is definitely enjoyable. But once you start getting further and are pretty much restricted to one planet per level range, and the fact that once you hit max level the game pretty much becomes stagnant unless you are a hardcore pvper.

1-50 your first time is a great experience, I highly recommend it. 50+ gets old after a few weeks, and leveling another character 1-50 becomes very, very repetitive aside from the small percentage of new class-based quests.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By topsteer

Apparently it's down to $15 now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.