Why is my server full and what the hell is a queue?!

#1 Posted by bobcat1794 (279 posts) -

I signed on yesterday and started my character, played a little then got off. when i sign on today it says the server my character is in is full and that i was placed in a queue and that my number was 90-something and decreasing. What the hell is this all about, why would i not be allowed into the server if i already had a character there? what is a queue and what does the decreaseing number mean? and if i join a less full server can i bring my chracter with?

#2 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

I guess you are new to MMOs... queues are necessary to ensure that the servers don't lag. There is only so much capacity that a server can hold. I don't believe you can transfer your character to a less full server. They'll probably want you to give them money for that.

#3 Posted by Lnin0 (146 posts) -

I don't have the game but if you just started your character then what do you have to loose. Look for a less populated server and start a new character on that. How many characters are you allowed to have on one account?

#4 Posted by EveretteScott (1449 posts) -

Whoa, you don't know what a queue is? I'm not being mean I thought that was just a common word.

#5 Posted by bobcat1794 (279 posts) -

Im completely new to mmos and really have no clue so i was just looking for some help. So what are the chances of me getting back into that server?

#6 Posted by Nhoj_Sllew (174 posts) -

when the number reaches 0 you are next in line to log in

currently number 600 in line for mind trick FML

#7 Posted by DiabolicSabin (12 posts) -

The server can only hold so many players at one time. Regardless of whether you already have a character made, if the server is full when you log on you have to wait for other people to log off and free up room on the server. The queue is essentially a line of players waiting to get on the server and the number is your place in that line. Obviously, as people log off the person at the front of the line is given access to their character list and everyone moves up a spot.

Any characters you create exist only on the server you create them. You could choose a less populated server, but would need to create a new character.

Hope that clears it up for you.

#8 Posted by project343 (2812 posts) -

@bobcat1794: 100% chance of getting back into the game if you patiently wait your turn.

It's sort of like in regular multiplayer games when you try to join a server of 16/16 players. Well, you normally could not. Now, that isn't entirely fair for an MMORPG, so they throw you into a line-up of people waiting to get into the game. As people log off, others get in. It's fairly simple.

Bioware, so far, has been doing a fairly exceptional job at managing this. They're opening new servers all the time, but they're also being cautious. They expect queues, and so should you. Where things get unreasonable is when you need to wait over half an hour to get into a game. The worst I saw in beta was about a 10 minute queue. Nothing to worry about, just walk away and grab coffee, then come back and play.

As we move closer to launch, expect the queues to get worse. You will see the general masses get into the game. Then, as we move forward, people will calm down, play the game in shorter bursts, and the queue times will essentially disappear. It's an unfortunate issue when you have 2000-5000 people in the same server. There are lines to get in sometimes. Hell, sometimes you'll see the inverse issue: the place will be a barren wasteland.

#9 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

it's a line you wait in but British

#10 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

Queues are the worst thing ever, started playing WoW again for the 4.3 update and my server is so full it takes like 90 minutes to log in at peak hours.

#11 Posted by Ragnar (89 posts) -

On one hand it sucks that there are such long queues, but partially I'm glad. Means folks want to play and it will force EA to buy more servers. Also considering every server was at least under Heavy load, if not very heavy or full and didn't go down, seems like the infrastructure is pretty good for this game.

#12 Posted by EightBitShik (1333 posts) -

@bobcat1794: You just have to start over on another server if you don't want this to happen. It means the server you picked is too popular. A couple of things will happen they will add more servers if the games gets too popular or your server won't be full in a month when people go back to playing Wow. Your best bet is to look for a low pop server during peak times and pick that one and start fresh don't worry you will get to where you were quick and honestly low pop doesn't mean shit there will still be 2k plus on there.

#13 Posted by takayamasama (439 posts) -

Most new MMOs at launch have waiting ques, which can really suck if you happen to be on a very popular server. However they usually die out after 2 weeks or so, as a lot of people rush to do everything and anything the first weeks after launch, then get burned out.

#14 Posted by Floppypants (798 posts) -

There's no need to start over.  The game is experiencing a launch rush.  These things pass.

#15 Posted by akzo (64 posts) -

The PvE servers were all full last night. The PvP and RP PvP weren't nearly as crowded. Same thing happened with WoW when it was released.

#16 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -
Due to high volumes of traffic, you are currently in a waiting queue.
This is not an error page and you do not need to refresh your browser.
You will be taken directly to the page you were attempting to access as soon
as you reach the front of the queue, or web traffic subsides to allow normal access.
Thank you for your patience and enjoy your time playing Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

Even the TOR website has a queue system in place.

#17 Posted by White_Silhouette (470 posts) -

With the high volume of people being let in to early access the servers are filling up quickly. There will be another spike tonight my guess due to them letting more people in. Last night my wait was about 30 minutes or so. I may start a second character on a second server just to avoid the long wait times.

#18 Posted by Lnin0 (146 posts) -

Queue is the British vernacular of line. Brits Q-up, Americans line up.

I didn't know if they had PVP (player vs player) and RP PVP(roll playing) servers as I was going to suggest starting a character on one of those - since they typically don't get as crowded as the PVE (player vs environment). The disadvantage of PVP is that, in most games, the world is wide open and any player can kill any other player out in the open. It makes for a more exciting game at times but can also be frustrating when you get some little twit that likes to kill and camp low levels.

Anyway, if the waits are really long it couldn't hurt to make a second character on another server. It will give you something to do if one server is too busy and you don't feel like waiting. You can also use it to experiment with the different classes to see what you really like.

I have not seen a queue in a very long time in WOW - even with 4.3 so I feel for the guy that said he waited 90 minutes to get in.

#19 Posted by PenguinDust (12450 posts) -

@Floppypants said:

There's no need to start over. The game is experiencing a launch rush. These things pass.

True after the first free month passes.

#20 Posted by Brodehouse (9586 posts) -

You should join Kessler Run!

#21 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

@kingzetta said:

it's a line you wait in but British

i HATE waiting in british lines!

#22 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Queueueueueue is just a really weird way of saying you're waiting in line.

#23 Posted by Rowr (5479 posts) -

What are they teaching kids in schools these days?

#24 Posted by alternate (2682 posts) -

In a perfect world they would server space for as many people as bought the game - but they know not everyone will be playing at the same time and that there will be a huge drop off after the first few months so they don't really stabalise until about 6 months in to the life of the game.

#25 Posted by project343 (2812 posts) -
@Brodehouse
You should join Kessler Run!
From what I understand, Mind Trick (our server) is the 3rd highest population PVE server. So... That would be a terrible (but amazing) idea.
#26 Posted by Brackynews (4045 posts) -

First queue of the week for me. Not surprising on a Friday night. Started at 900.

Hopefully this means there will be more than 25 people on Tython. ;)

Mind Trick seems average/high for waits at this time of evening. Other heavy ones I can see in the top third of the window are The Swiftsure, Dark Reaper, and the Harbinger, all between 1-2 hours estimated.

#27 Posted by Cameron (595 posts) -

What is the rational for locking a character to one server? The only MMORPG I ever played was Runescape (about 8-9 years ago) and I liked that you could just play on whatever server was open. It seems like a much better way to deal with this problem, unless every server is full. It seems insane that you can't play a game you paid for when you want to play it because they don't have enough servers up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.