Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars

Franchise »

Star Wars is a space fantasy film franchise that initially told the tale of Luke Skywalker and a rebellion's struggle against the evil Galactic Empire. It has spawned over one hundred games, six sequels/prequels and at least millions of different shirts, action figures and other merchandise.

Disney conference call: Star Wars Console games "not a focus"

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mike

I'm not sure if anyone else caught this, but I was reviewing the Disney Lucasfilm acquisition conference call transcript and one question to Bob Iger was of particular interest. What do you think this means for the future of Star Wars console games? I know it's easy to read too deeply into these things, but what do you think can be taken from Iger's response to Amobi about games? It may be nothing...I mean, "looking opportunistically" may mean we see way more Star Wars games than ever before, even though they aren't focused on the console...licensing out the Star Wars name to developers to pump out multiplatform titles like crazy because they seem to be virtually guaranteed to make money doesn't seem like too far of a reach given Disney's propensity to really milk the hell out of their properties.

Q: Tuna Amobi, S&P

"...I'm wondering how you see your games business being impacted by Lucasfilm specifically? And the dynamics of the social versus console strategy?"

A: Bob Iger, CEO of Disney

"We're likely to focus more on social and mobile than we are on console. We'll look opportunistically at console, mostly likely at licensing rather than publishing. But we think that given the nature of these characters and how well known they are and the storytelling that they lend themselves quite nicely as they've already demonstrated to the other platforms."

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By BeachThunder

So does this mean 1313 is a PC exclusive? :P

PokeIkzai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By PokeIkzai

@BeachThunder said:

I hope 1313 is still a thing.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@BeachThunder said:

Yeah, a Facebook PC exclusive.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mike

@PokeIkzai said:

@BeachThunder said:

I'm sure there has been way too much invested in that project to just dump it at this point, I wouldn't worry too much about that.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By DukesT3

@PokeIkzai said:

@BeachThunder said:

Same here.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Marz

at least they are open to licencing the IP out to other developers.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Funkydupe

I like Star Wars, whether or not it gets a sort of reboot or continues on with familiar characters/families/legacies.

I just watched the five first episodes of the Star Wars: Clone Wars, Season 5, and it impressed me for something aimed at children/teens, it had some serious moments that left an impression. Well done to them.

There's got to be more games, I wouldn't worry.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9  Edited By impartialgecko

Star Wars can go away for a decade thanks.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Funkydupe

@adam1808: Only a decade? I knew you liked Star Wars! Maybe you're right, that the whole thing would feel refreshed after a solid break from games, series and movies.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

1313 just looks like a nice looking hardware demo. We should really be upset that there won't be any new Battlefront games in the near future.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Funkydupe

@Metric_Outlaw: I'm more into the "open world" type games now, and while the demo looked nice, it seemed to be full of those scripted events that kills replayability. I will probably rent it to experience the story.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By impartialgecko

@Funkydupe said:

@adam1808: Only a decade? I knew you liked Star Wars! Maybe you're right, that the whole thing would feel refreshed after a solid break from games, series and movies.

I'd settle for never seeing an ad for anything Star Wars related. That being said 1313 looked awesome, but the Star Wars bits of it are the least interesting to me. I reached the saturation point with the franchise a long time ago.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Funkydupe

@adam1808: Its interesting though, because they did promote 1313 as a, I'm parahrasing "Star Wars game without the magic/wizards". So they want to make a Star Wars game without the more iconic Star Wars aspects. Star Wars trying to step a couple of steps away from Star Wars basically.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By impartialgecko

@Funkydupe said:

@adam1808: Its interesting though, because they did promote 1313 as a, I'm parahrasing "Star Wars game without the magic/wizards". So they want to make a Star Wars game without the more iconic Star Wars aspects. Star Wars trying to step a couple of steps away from Star Wars basically.

Because that shows how well Lucasarts and co have handled the Star Wars brand thus far. Even their own products are trying to distance themselves from the parts of franchise everyone is sick to death of.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.