Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars

Franchise »

Star Wars is a space fantasy film franchise that initially told the tale of Luke Skywalker and a rebellion's struggle against the evil Galactic Empire. It has spawned over one hundred games, six sequels/prequels and at least millions of different shirts, action figures and other merchandise.

EA Will Make All Your Star Wars Games Now

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

Dead Space......but with a Star Wars theme. Think about it.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152  Edited By jmfinamore

I really don't understand why people are so upset about it this, what was the last amazing star wars game? KoToR, which is easily 10 years old at this point. I personally liked Force unleashed 1, but that's easily 5 years ago. It's not like licensing games out to different companies was yielding great results every time, for every star wars lego you had 2-3 Kinect Star Wars. Someone was going to snatch this up and they had to be big, so that's who? EA, Activision, Ubisoft? There's not a lot of other companies with the money to support this franchise. So I'll chalk the reactions I'm seeing under generic internet rage.

Yeah I don't get it either. Of the realistic possibilities, EA is the one who has the studios (between Visceral, DICE and Bioware) that seem like they could best realize the different types of Star Wars games most people would want.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Good news, I thought we were gonna only get smartphone Star Wars games and who knows maybe 1313 will get picked up.

12_Oz_Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By 12_Oz_Mouse

Huh... odd timing somewhat considering I just bought a bunch of Star Wars games during that May the 4th sale on steam. I guess if they make some new Star Wars games that I would actually want then I would have to buy them through Origin. Lazy I know, but its becoming difficult keeping these games together between floppys, cd-roms, and multiple drm platforms. I just wish some of this stuff could be a bit more centralized. #FirstWorldProblems

reflekshun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

1313?

AndrewDeLong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#157  Edited By 014

Whether this comment is in or out of context, I just hope they keep SWTOR going. That game is incredible, and I haven't paid anything for it yet. I am going to dish out money soon for perks, and it won't be reluctantly. I want to give them my money for SWTOR.

Nymphonomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Nymphonomicon

Exclusive licenses and yearly releases. Business as usual with the EA Empire.
    dum-dum-dum dum-da-dum dum-da-dum

sephirm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@djou said:

Mass Effect and SWKOTR cross over game from Bioware!

don't forget Thanos.

Darlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's hoping KOTOR III is possible after TOR didn't do so well...hopeful cooler heads will prevail and they'll look at KOTOR I and the similar Mass Effect games for sales projections instead.

tonyp2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They can't make games much worse than SWTFU so sure I'm up for it.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

@turambar said:

"Every developer dreams of creating games for the Star Wars universe,” said EA Labels President Frank Gibeau. "Now, we own the exclusive rights to those dreams,"

That line just reads so fucking scummy.

Holy shit. Is EA literally just run by demon corporate bureaucrats now?

TadThuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 41

Now Star Wars can live among such great, uncorrupted franchises as Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Dead Space, and Battlefield.

Avatar image for deactivated-64c89b592b282
    deactivated-64c89b592b282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 38

I've got a bad feeling about this...

It could be worse.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cowman said:

@weskerresi001 said:

I've got a bad feeling about this...

It could be worse.

It could be a trap.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#166  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

I just thought: I'ma laugh so hard when we find out that the Mass Effect team is making Star Wars: Episode VII (The Videogame) :))

FormulaDeuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By FormulaDeuce

That's right kids! If you've ever dreamed of making a Star Wars game, EA owns those dreams now!

brandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

New Star Mars MMO in the vein of Mass Effect? Count me fucking in if they do that. People can cry about EA all they want but i enjoyed BF3, ME2 and 3 as well as many other EA published titles.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Turambar

@turambar said:

"Every developer dreams of creating games for the Star Wars universe,” said EA Labels President Frank Gibeau. "Now, we own the exclusive rights to those dreams,"

That line just reads so fucking scummy.

Holy shit. Is EA literally just run by demon corporate bureaucrats now?

No, reading comprehension fail on my part. Alex added the second part.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Efesell

I like Old Republic, and they're in the process of getting that game on track now so If they provide decent support for that for at time yet then I'm set.

Otherwise I would love to see Bioware take another shot at Star Wars.

Gnokey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Gnokey

@crow13 said:

I'm still a little loss on all the EA hate. Without raging could someone explain to me why this is that terrible?

We already have an example of what EA puts out with exclusive licences. They've had the roster rights with the NFL and NCAA for years now and offer yearly releases with enough improvements to barely qualify as being more than roster updates. EA's Madden and NCAA Football releases don't hold a candle to EA's OTHER SPORTS RELEASES like Hockey and Footsoccerball in terms of yearly improvements.

If DICE had to compete with Infinity Ward or Treyarch or even Valve in making a Star Wars shooter, you'd figure they'd get enough funding and time to make a good product. Now they don't have to compete and it isn't hard to imagine a plethora of mediocre Star Wars cash-grabs coming.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This isn't as bad as it sounds. I did a bunch of research on this, and

To continue reading this comment, purchase our Platinum Comment Pak™ (available only on Origin™), or purchase five (5) Crest™ products between now and May 8th, 2013!

Comment Gold. Nicely done.

Gantrathor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. The last Star Wars game to come out that I thought was any good was The Old Republic, so it's not like Star Wars games can get any worse. And the thought of Dice making Battlefront 3, or Visceral making a bounty hunter action game, well, it's all very interesting to think about. Not saying it will happen, but it could. Here's hoping something cool will come out of this.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So DICE eh? Guess that means there will be a new Battlefront game at some point.

Avatar image for emjaylawthertin
    emjaylawthertin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By emjaylawthertin

The few ways I can immediately come up with that make this maybe okay:

- DICE does something with Republic Commando for next-gen. That game had one of the best default pistols I can remember playing in an FPS from that era.

- New Battlefront would be nice.

- New, proper KOTOR would be neat, too - hoping that the Mass Effect story DLC nonsense and the microtransaction idiocy is kept to the lowest level permissible for EA.

- They get 1313 out the door. I want to see what that was going to look like.

- New Tie Fighter with Oculus Rift support in the cockpit.

Glad to know someone will make "core games" for Star Wars. Good luck - you're gonna need it.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By myke_tuna

I'm gonna be optimistic.

• New podracer game from Criterion.
    • New Battlefront game by DICE.
    • Star Wars 1313 continues development.

Let's do this.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#177  Edited By breadfan

Guess I'm in the minority that thinks this is pretty awesome news.

rye256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This isn't as bad as it sounds. I did a bunch of research on this, and

To continue reading this comment, purchase our Platinum Comment Pak™ (available only on Origin™), or purchase five (5) Crest™ products between now and May 8th, 2013!

hah

radioactivez0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno, kind of intrigued at what DICE or Visceral could do with their creativity.

Avatar image for gladiator_games
    Gladiator_Games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#180  Edited By Gladiator_Games

B..battlefront 3?

dOm_CaTz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By dOm_CaTz
    @rebgav said:

@dom_catz said:

so battlefront 3 from dice, a new kotor(thats not an mmo) from bioware, a horror game set in the star wars universe from visceral, and a racing game from criterion now confirmed.

And Sims 4: The Simpire Strikes Back expansion.

Merc's 1313.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@benpicko said:

And then Battlefront became a yearly release

I'd prefer that to never seeing another one. We'd at least get one or two good ones before they go stale.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By prestonhedges

Ever since Disney shuttered former all-things-Star Wars publisherLucasArts in the wake of its purchase of Lucasfilm,

Oh my god. This is quite possibly the worst sentence I've ever read. And this is only a third of it.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Rebel_Scum

@crow13 said:

I'm still a little loss on all the EA hate.

Likewise, they've made/published some of the best games I've ever played over the last 30 years. Sure there's been bad decisions (by the majority vote) but how often does anyone get everything right. That would mean an imbalance in the force.

I look forward to see what they'll achieve. A pessimistic outlook to this news is really unfair and without merit.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Might be some good Star Wars games from this hoping that Disney doesn't repeat what was done in the past when there were tons of Star Wars games coming out each month & hardly any were fun.

TechDemoTREX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Name a big publisher that nerdragers don't hate. I am totally OK with this news. Also, they should make a new Battlefront, people would buy it.

And 1313 in its current form is heading for the can about as fast as possible. Last I looked EA don't work in UE.

whylessness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By whylessness

why

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcmax3000:

Almost everyone on Gamespot's community forum is literally freaking out over this, and not in a good way.

Me personally, I'm just glad we're going to get some new Star Wars games. I just hope they will all be good.

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
    RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extreme_popcorn: DICE makes Republic Commando 2 in Frostbite. Done.

Visceral makes a gritty 3rd bounter hunter/rouge trader shooter or maybe takes over 1313. Awesome

Bioware... Mass Effect 3.5. Just kidding. A mass effect-esque story driven RPG set in the SW universe.

Company. Saved.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Nephrahim

@pfunkpearl said:

I really don't understand why people are so upset about it this, what was the last amazing star wars game? KoToR, which is easily 10 years old at this point. I personally liked Force unleashed 1, but that's easily 5 years ago. It's not like licensing games out to different companies was yielding great results every time, for every star wars lego you had 2-3 Kinect Star Wars. Someone was going to snatch this up and they had to be big, so that's who? EA, Activision, Ubisoft? There's not a lot of other companies with the money to support this franchise. So I'll chalk the reactions I'm seeing under generic internet rage.

Yeah I don't get it either. Of the realistic possibilities, EA is the one who has the studios (between Visceral, DICE and Bioware) that seem like they could best realize the different types of Star Wars games most people would want.

Maybe they don't want them to give Exclusive rights to ANY Huge publisher that's going to try to squeeze every penny out of the license? Maybe license them on a game-by game basis, so that they're only approving good games, instead of just giving it to EA so they can make some cash in every year.

reichaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm curious as to how much weight EA is going to be able to throw around with the SW franchise, especially given their most recent SW game (SWTOR). We should all remember how that went. Regardless of their past however, there is still plenty of potential in this. I'm not going to keep my hopes too high, but maybe they can do some justice to the universe now that they have the rights to develop.

bananaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By bananaz

This is big news, and yet I don't even remotely care. It's like two things I no longer enjoy decided to team up to make more things for me to ignore. EA and Star Wars games, a marriage made in my blindspot.

Saganomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pfunkpearl said:

Maybe they don't want them to give Exclusive rights to ANY Huge publisher that's going to try to squeeze every penny out of the license? Maybe license them on a game-by game basis, so that they're only approving good games, instead of just giving it to EA so they can make some cash in every year.

Not to mention that EA has had several high profile failures in the recent past that are still fresh in a lot of people's minds.

Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
    The_Last_Starfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EA needs to replace Battlefield's bench warmer (Medal of Honor), it would make sense that they would do it with Battlefront.

Also, no way DICE would do Battlefront as EA needs all hands on deck where Battlefield's concerned so they can go toe to toe with COD, obviously it would be done using Frostbite though.

I'm ok with this.

imfaraway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Republic Commando 2 (drops mic)

Gildermershina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Oh no, all the Star Wars games were great, and they showed such restraint when licensing the property before now. Now EA are going to annualise Star Wars games, and put out a bunch that are bad on purpose and sell a bunch of DLC, and it'll have DRM, and microtransactions, and the, um, cities will be smaller, because they're THE WORST COMPANY IN AMERICA 2013.

Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By Bandit

Hmm, having to get ideas passed both EA and Disney higher-ups sounds like a creative director's nightmare

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Cool now make a proper Knights game

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KOTOR 3 back in Bioware hands maybe?

Also, no Guns of Navarro this week? :(

Mjolnir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#200  Edited By Mjolnir

Anything that increases the likelihood of a new Battlefront or Republic Commando is fine by me. Only time will tell how all this shakes out, but I'll allow myself some mild excitement over this. I'll also be curious to see what direction the company moves in once a new full-time CEO steps up, and how that might affect whatever they do here.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.