Empire Strikes Back Avatar Items Coming to XBLM May 20

• 106 results
Posted by MattBodega (1903 posts) -

For such a dumbass purchase, that's a pretty fresh looking Tauntaun
Okay, folks. Let's do this right. I'm going to tell you about how, in celebration of the 30th anniversary of the release of The Empire Strikes Back, LucasArts will release a set of Star Wars avatar items that you can purchase from the Avatar Marketplace on May 20th. And I'm only going to focus on the facts. That means I'm not going to spend this story writing about:

• how The Empire Strikes Back is the best film of the original Star Wars trilogy.
  • how seeing Empire as a kid probably led me into geekery and, by extension, video games
  • the low quality of the new trilogy.
  • George Lucas' complete detachment from reality and his descent into visual fluff that ultimately destroyed his franchise.
  • Jar Jar Binks.
  • TIE Fighter.
  • Republic Commando.

None of that. This isn't my place to editorialize, or make this story something it isn't. We're just going to talk about the facts. And we're going to do that together. Everyone get ready! Here we go.

To celebrate the 30th anniversary of the release of The Empire Strikes Back, LucasArts will release a set of Star Wars avatar items that you can purchase from the Avatar Marketplace on May 20th.  

Oh, I guess that's it. Well, I guess that's why people editorialize this stuff: to turn a one-sentence story into a multiple-paragraph news post. I may have only been a member of the "games press" for two hours, but that seems like a poor use of editorial.

Thank goodness we have pictures! 

Hey, these don't look too shabby. Well, except for the walking terror that is avatar Chewbacca.

And don't get any ideas that grabbing a lightsaber will let you go head to head with other Avatars in combat: Microsoft has pretty firm rules preventing developers from making games where Avatars fight or become hurt. Oh well. We'll always have Avatar Drop.

Will you be purchasing any of these items for your Avatar? And how much shame will you feel as you buy it?
#1 Posted by MattBodega (1903 posts) -

For such a dumbass purchase, that's a pretty fresh looking Tauntaun
Okay, folks. Let's do this right. I'm going to tell you about how, in celebration of the 30th anniversary of the release of The Empire Strikes Back, LucasArts will release a set of Star Wars avatar items that you can purchase from the Avatar Marketplace on May 20th. And I'm only going to focus on the facts. That means I'm not going to spend this story writing about:

• how The Empire Strikes Back is the best film of the original Star Wars trilogy.
  • how seeing Empire as a kid probably led me into geekery and, by extension, video games
  • the low quality of the new trilogy.
  • George Lucas' complete detachment from reality and his descent into visual fluff that ultimately destroyed his franchise.
  • Jar Jar Binks.
  • TIE Fighter.
  • Republic Commando.

None of that. This isn't my place to editorialize, or make this story something it isn't. We're just going to talk about the facts. And we're going to do that together. Everyone get ready! Here we go.

To celebrate the 30th anniversary of the release of The Empire Strikes Back, LucasArts will release a set of Star Wars avatar items that you can purchase from the Avatar Marketplace on May 20th.  

Oh, I guess that's it. Well, I guess that's why people editorialize this stuff: to turn a one-sentence story into a multiple-paragraph news post. I may have only been a member of the "games press" for two hours, but that seems like a poor use of editorial.

Thank goodness we have pictures! 

Hey, these don't look too shabby. Well, except for the walking terror that is avatar Chewbacca.

And don't get any ideas that grabbing a lightsaber will let you go head to head with other Avatars in combat: Microsoft has pretty firm rules preventing developers from making games where Avatars fight or become hurt. Oh well. We'll always have Avatar Drop.

Will you be purchasing any of these items for your Avatar? And how much shame will you feel as you buy it?
#2 Edited by skelom (46 posts) -

guess it doesn't work for none videos eh

#3 Edited by discost3w (152 posts) -

god damnit always 2nd 

Edit: oh well didn't lose anything :)

#4 Posted by FinalDasa (1253 posts) -

i want a freakin lightsaber

#5 Posted by skelom (46 posts) -
@discost3w: don't worry... i didn't get it >:(
#6 Posted by Tuggah (1071 posts) -

Looks like some free lance for Giantbomb.

#7 Posted by CornontheCobbe (2645 posts) -

30 years? God damn, life flies by so fast :(

#8 Posted by gakon (1940 posts) -

Their posture still makes me cringe.

#9 Posted by DanielJW (4915 posts) -

Alright. Because of the Tauntaun, I take everything I've ever said about Avatars being stupid back. 

#10 Edited by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

That tauntaun is fucking adorable, yo. 

EDIT: Also, wanted to point out that the Lando outfit is on a avatar of a black guy. JUST SAYIN'

#11 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Some of those are actually really cool. Some of the best avatar costumes I've seen.

#12 Posted by Hamz (6845 posts) -

Star Wars related merchandise being whored out to the nerd fanbase? What's new!

#13 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

C3PO looks bored.

#14 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

STAY ON TARGET

#15 Posted by Superfriend (1458 posts) -

That´s why editorializing doesn´t make much sense for most news posts on any site. Yes, breaking down boring press releases into smaller chunks is fine, but for most releases you really only need the headline to know 80% of the information.

#16 Posted by Jeffsekai (7017 posts) -

Spelling mistake

#17 Posted by goodwood (600 posts) -

Is this Matt Kessler's first time writing for giantbomb? And why does his name go to the profile of Matt Bodega?

#18 Posted by moelarrycurly (667 posts) -

Grammar Nazi:  it should be "descent" not "decent." 

Oh man, Chebacca looks effing horrible...

#19 Posted by BionicMonster (1030 posts) -

INVASION OF THE MATTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
being a Matt myself i am not surprised.
p.s. Chewbacca looks horrible and Yoda's was lazy.

#20 Posted by Toxin066 (3197 posts) -

C3PO looks so sleepy.

#21 Posted by snide (2394 posts) -
@goodwood said:
" Is this Matt Kessler's first time writing for giantbomb? And why does his name go to the profile of Matt Bodega? "
Because we've removed any trace of Matt Kassler from Matt Bodega. Soon he will no longer be Matt, he will just be Bodega. At that point I will buy refreshing beverages from him.
#22 Posted by RoboRobb (1051 posts) -

good post, but sorry, who the eff is Matt Kessler?! I thought only the main four would post news on the main page

#23 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

C3PO and chewbacca look horrible. The only great one out of all of them is the tauntaun and luke skywalker pilot avatar.

#24 Posted by EvilBenius (5 posts) -

I am going to be a total geek and point out that is RotJ Boba Fett and not ESB. It may even be the one from the Special Edition, but I cannot see the side of the helmet at that angle.

#25 Posted by Milkman (16228 posts) -

Must...not...buy....

#26 Posted by Scroll (589 posts) -

I can become Lando?

Oh my, it's finally happened, all we need now is the Adventures of Lando video game.

#27 Posted by TheSilentTruth (1105 posts) -

I know that I'll end up buying a lightsaber out of boredom...

#28 Posted by adoggz (1953 posts) -

god damn it. one of these days I will break and pay way too much money for a lightsaber for my avatar.

#29 Edited by Metal_Mills (2948 posts) -

Oh dude, that snow trooper...do want!

3PO looks munted.

#30 Edited by snide (2394 posts) -
@RoboRobb said:

" good post, but sorry, who the eff is Matt Kessler?! I thought only the main four would post news on the main page "

You sir, forgot my stint of wittily crafted articles from 2009! I covered such thrilling topics as Drakensang, Divinity II and other such hot topics that gamers needed to know about. 

Matt's Giant Bomb's very first intern and I qualify his ability to drink in bars that I frequent.
#31 Posted by Brad (2849 posts) -
@goodwood: Because he is Matt Bodega! 

Don't worry, Mr. Bodega... uh, Kessler is here to help us out on the news beat while we focus on what some business types like to call the Big Picture. Be gentle, please.
Staff
#32 Posted by PLWolf (907 posts) -

Must.resist.Tauntaun purchase

#33 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

One step closer to Kotaku, oh dear.

#34 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8610 posts) -

Go MattBodega! And yeah...I am going to try to resist buying the Chewbacca outfit, though I am sure all attempts will fail.

#35 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3667 posts) -
@Toxin066 said:
" C3PO looks so sleepy. "
I know wtf is up with his eyes's.
#36 Posted by Olivaw (1215 posts) -

Turning a one sentence story into a commentary on games journalism.

I like the cut of your jib, Matt Kessler.

#37 Edited by Kajaah117 (1070 posts) -

That's really the Yoda costume? That's almost as bad as: 

#38 Posted by kalmis (1557 posts) -

Why can't they have black tie-fighter pilot suit?

#39 Posted by S0ndor (2715 posts) -

I know you have only been part of the game press for 2 hours, but I'm pretty sure that people don't "become hurt".

#40 Edited by ZmillA (2232 posts) -

I like this new guy

edit: oh its bodega

#41 Posted by MattyFTM (14244 posts) -

You've just turned a one sentence story into an editorial about how turning one sentence stories into editorials is bad. Brilliant.

#42 Posted by spiceninja (3052 posts) -

So I can buy a hat that just says Yoda on it? That's pretty lazy. 

#43 Posted by natural_deadhead (272 posts) -

George Lucas' complete detachment from reality and his descent into visual fluff that ultimately destroyed his franchise. 

Wow. I hope he was kidding.  
 Who is Matt Kessler and why do I want to hear his bull shit opinions while reading an update about xbox live?
#44 Posted by JackiJinx (3083 posts) -

Dear Bodega,  

That C3P0 is happenin'.  

Sincerely, 
Jacki Jinx esq.

#45 Posted by adoggz (1953 posts) -
@Kajaah117 said:
" That's really the Yoda costume? That's almost as bad as: 
"
that god damns a spy
#46 Posted by Jimbo7676 (700 posts) -

OMG Matt Bodega works for giantbomb.com now... I guess all it took was making a big community around gamespot live and then moving to giantbomb and doing the same thing.

#47 Posted by KainCarver (113 posts) -

LOL nice funny article mate.

#48 Posted by zombie2011 (4941 posts) -

I want C3PO. 

Also, hopefully this Matt dude posts more news articles so that the other staff members can focus more on reviews and other dumb shenanigans.

#49 Posted by HT101 (1150 posts) -

I will DEFINITELY have to hold myself back from purchasing either the Lando costume or the snowtrooper costume.  If I have enough points to buy them both, then help me God.

#50 Posted by Jayzilla (2539 posts) -

frickin sign me up for that lando suit so i can sweet talk the ladies on live!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.