Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars

Franchise »

Star Wars is a space fantasy film franchise that initially told the tale of Luke Skywalker and a rebellion's struggle against the evil Galactic Empire. It has spawned over one hundred games, six sequels/prequels and at least millions of different shirts, action figures and other merchandise.

On the Rumored Star Wars MMO

tariqari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By tariqari

The rumors of the new "MMO" have been baffling me lately. What baffles me the most though is how major mainstream media companies are reporting the recently "spilled beans" as fact. What happened? Did the editors fall asleep at the keyboard or something? Why is the mainstream media reporting this while LucasArts and Bioware have yet to release any information on the subject?

I would like to keep this thread solely based on the facts. Try to keep the "he said she said" arguments to a minimum (which might be a little hard to do considering the minimal info we have on the game).

Magnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Magnum

The reaction I've seen on forums has been poor. It seems most KoTOR fans don't want to see a MMO. The BioWare Dr.'s gave  a talk at GDC about how they wanted to change MMOs and make them more story oriented. That sounds cool. While I've never played a MMO, I am afraid I would be way to into the game and the SciFi games that are available haven't appealed to me, I'm not against MMO's. If someone were to tell me in that BioWare  is going to release an MMO tomorrow and it's awesome. I don't think I wouldn't have a hard time believing that. My two cents.

DarkLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By DarkLegend

I don't to see a MMO at all. I've played the first two before and I rather play a full story game, that finish off the trilogy, not a massive multiplayer online.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By pause422

I would rather have the story i'd say,or both honestly. Although not a fan of mmo's(i'll never want to play a single game dedicatedly and miss out on a ton of others) I think if anyone can do it great,its Bioware.

Magnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Magnum
    pause422 said:
    "I would rather have the story i'd say,or both honestly. Although not a fan of mmo's(i'll never want to play a single game dedicatedly and miss out on a ton of others) I think if anyone can do it great,its Bioware.
    "
    I thought I saw in one of the stories covering the Lucas Arts employees that got laidoff that BioWare is doing both a MMO called Star Wars: The Old Republic and a single player KoTOR 3. That's just a rumor though.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Rowr

well kotaku reported it as fact. Usually they are pretty cautious if its unconfirmed.

That and the obvious logic to it makes it all but confirmed for me.

Magnum said:

"The reaction I've seen on forums has been poor. It seems most KoTOR fans don't want to see a MMO. The BioWare Dr.'s gave  a talk at GDC about how they wanted to change MMOs and make them more story oriented. That sounds cool. While I've never played a MMO, I am afraid I would be way to into the game and the SciFi games that are available haven't appealed to me, I'm not against MMO's. If someone were to tell me in that BioWare  is going to release an MMO tomorrow and it's awesome. I don't think I wouldn't have a hard time believing that. My two cents."
    I agree. People need to trust bioware, they have rarely gone wrong in the past.
    I think people have a hard time understanding how it might work, is where the skeptisism come from.

Magnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Magnum

The Lucas Arts story was from Kotaku.

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By azteris

Well, of course now we know it's fact.

tariqari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tariqari

In my opinion, I just want to see KotOR 3 complete the series with what became of Revan. Then they can add what ever MMOs they like to the franchise. But I want a KotOR 3 SP, and an MMO better be darned good and not continue to ruin the Star Wars name which seems to be as equal as Spongebob now a days.

DarkLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DarkLegend

I really hope it isn't a MMO KOTOR.

jakeroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jakeroc

I must say, the time period where Kotor takes place would be difficult to do an MMO in. Because EVERY-FREAKING-ONE is a Jedi. And we all know how that breaks the game.

SlayingShogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SlayingShogun

Well I've been wanting a good Star Wars MMO ever since SOE killed Galaxies and have even more so recently.
    Don't me wrong though guys I want a single player also and to have it tell of what happened to revan would be awsome.

tariqari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By tariqari
    Jaconius said:
    "I must say, the time period where Kotor takes place would be difficult to do an MMO in. Because EVERY-FREAKING-ONE is a Jedi. And we all know how that breaks the game.
    "
    Honestly it seems most people agree that Jedi shouldn't be in an mmo, why do developers not care then?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
    deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

DarkLegend said:
    "I really hope it isn't a MMO KOTOR."
    Ditto on that. A game filled with thousands of Jedi and Sith would be a huge mess.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pause422

Well there could be easy confusing between them doing 2 kotor games and a single game that is the mmoa lot of people still call it "Kotor 3" as the next game,reguardless of if its an mmo or single player. Of course until any official announcements in the future of more than one project,we can never be sure. But if they do end up doing 2(i'll be happy of course) but then they really got a ton on their plate. Dragon Age origins,a DS rpg,kotor 3,kotor mmo,finishing Mass Effect's trilogy.

They can't do everything at once,and they'll choose an order so,just have to see how it turns out over time.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16  Edited By Termite

Star Wars MMO just sounds plain bad, I think that's the general opinion

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Systech

It's a KOTOR MMO for sure. EA CEO John Riccitiello confirmed it on the last day of E3. As for me, I have faith in this project and I feel like the only one who does. I am pretty sure BioWare knows what they're doing and they know what made Knights of the Old Republic so awesome, which is the story. I am sure that they will find a good way to do an MMO and make it story driven at the same time.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By xruntime

MMOs tend to have too much grinding

tariqari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tariqari
    systech said:
    "It's a KOTOR MMO for sure. EA CEO John Riccitiello confirmed it on the last day of E3. As for me, I have faith in this project and I feel like the only one who does. I am pretty sure BioWare knows what they're doing and they know what made Knights of the Old Republic so awesome, which is the story. I am sure that they will find a good way to do an MMO and make it story driven at the same time.
    "
    But where are the sources exactly? Every source I see points to portfolio's site. I mean, did other people actually hear this for themselves? If this was actually confirmed at e3, why cite portfolio instead of themselves?
    Magnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Magnum
    tariqari said:
    "systech said:
    "It's a KOTOR MMO for sure. EA CEO John Riccitiello confirmed it on the last day of E3. As for me, I have faith in this project and I feel like the only one who does. I am pretty sure BioWare knows what they're doing and they know what made Knights of the Old Republic so awesome, which is the story. I am sure that they will find a good way to do an MMO and make it story driven at the same time.
    "
    But where are the sources exactly? Every source I see points to portfolio's site. I mean, did other people actually hear this for themselves? If this was actually confirmed at e3, why cite portfolio instead of themselves?
    "
    Yeah I agree. I've never heard of Portfolio as far as gaming news before this. I'm not saying the story was BS but, I am waiting until EA, Lucas Arts or BioWare come forward with some screens or something.
    tariqari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By tariqari
    Magnum said:
    "tariqari said:
    "systech said:
    "
    "
    Yeah I agree. I've never heard of Portfolio as far as gaming news before this. I'm not saying the story was BS but, I am waiting until EA, Lucas Arts or BioWare come forward with some screens or something."
    I've never heard of it either.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.