Star Wars Episode IV - abstract version

Posted by buzz_clik (6837 posts) -

Last week, for whatever reason (possibly this wonderful short from Simon Pegg and Nick Frost) I had the idea of making an abstracted retelling of Episode IV. I've plugged away at it for a while and I think I've finally settled on the design. I'm not sure if I'm entirely happy with the colour palette – the more it went on the more various hues insisted on being introduced – so I may tinker with that soon. But as it stands, this isn't such a bad start.

#1 Posted by buzz_clik (6837 posts) -

Last week, for whatever reason (possibly this wonderful short from Simon Pegg and Nick Frost) I had the idea of making an abstracted retelling of Episode IV. I've plugged away at it for a while and I think I've finally settled on the design. I'm not sure if I'm entirely happy with the colour palette – the more it went on the more various hues insisted on being introduced – so I may tinker with that soon. But as it stands, this isn't such a bad start.

#2 Posted by Example1013 (4749 posts) -

This seems like interpretive dance for my eyes.

#3 Posted by Hailinel (22719 posts) -

I actually understand it.  It's like I'm the human equivalent of an enigma machine.

#4 Posted by EpicSteve (6442 posts) -

Does this make me stupid for not understanding? I kind of get the first few...

#5 Posted by buzz_clik (6837 posts) -
@EpicSteve: I don't think it's your shortcoming at all, because I've deliberately gone out of my way to reduce the images, ideas and symbols to abstract shapes. Basically: it's not you, it's me. :)
#6 Posted by MrKlorox (11186 posts) -

You gotta get that shit quilted, bro.

#7 Posted by Hailinel (22719 posts) -
@buzz_clik said:
" @EpicSteve: I don't think it's your shortcoming at all, because I've deliberately gone out of my way to reduce the images, ideas and symbols to abstract shapes. Basically: it's not you, it's me. :) "
I have to say that I love how the last Darth Vader image represents his twirling out into space in the trench scene.
#8 Posted by Claude (16251 posts) -

I actually understand a little of that. In the future, someone will find this and scientist will try and understand our culture by deciphering it.

#9 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

That's really cool. I got most of it, but it took me a while to figure out Darth Vader. Other than that I thought it was really effective.

#10 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

Really cool!

#11 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

i get some of it.  i love the last few where the death star blows up.  that i can understand

#12 Posted by GlenTennis (3143 posts) -

What's the one above the torpedoes going in?
Also this is really cool.

#13 Posted by buzz_clik (6837 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" I have to say that I love how the last Darth Vader image represents his twirling out into space in the trench scene. "
Yeah, I actually got a case of the giggles when I realised I should do that. Originally it went Darth-Han-twirling shot, but then I went back into the editing room and figured out that much more satisfying (and amusing) punchline.
#14 Posted by buzz_clik (6837 posts) -
@GlenTennis: It's just a shot of Yavin 4, where the rebel base is located.
#15 Posted by luchadeer797 (294 posts) -

thats really cool, i was able to understand a good amount of it, brilliant job

#16 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1522 posts) -

Man, that's sick! The upside-down Darth Vader made me laugh. :P

#17 Posted by eroticfishcake (7780 posts) -

I saw your tweet about this a few days ago and it looks super neat. I'd pay to get a large print of that in my living room.

#18 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -
@buzz_clik:  Looking at it a second time, I think I got everything but second row, far right, two colored dots on a reddish background. What is that?
#19 Posted by buzz_clik (6837 posts) -
@Slaker117: Binary sunset, baby... 

#20 Posted by august (3811 posts) -

Dude, this is fucking awesome.

#21 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1587 posts) -

it took me a minute to get but then it all clicked 
it is AMAZING 
well done good sir
#22 Posted by bartok (2371 posts) -

I find the older I get the less I give a shit about Star Wars.  Even so that picture is awesome.  I would love to see one done of Goodfellas. Robocop, or Die Hard.

#23 Edited by Kyreo (4600 posts) -
Did you watch the movies very recently or did you do this all form yer head? 

By the way... This is amazing.  It took me a while to get it, but I got it and this is great.  If you wanted to maybe sell this on canvas or or velvet or something I'd buy it.
#24 Posted by Daveyo520 (6597 posts) -

Really nice job Buzz.

#25 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2826 posts) -

I thought I wouldn't get it, but I understood all of it. Amazing job!

#26 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -
@Kyreo said:
" If you wanted to maybe sell this on canvas or or velvet or something I'd buy it. "
Same here, I would love to own some form of this.
#27 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

Absolutely brilliant! I'd totally buy a poster, or shirt, or something of this. You da man, man!

#28 Posted by buzz_clik (6837 posts) -
@Kyreo: Most of it's from my head. I had to go back and check I'd put things in the right order here and there, and a few panels I had to use the film to fill in the blanks.
#29 Posted by BeachThunder (11265 posts) -

Most of the panels I can't work out, probably because it's been aggeesss since I've seen the movie. But it doesn't stop me from appreciating how awesome this is.

Now do other movies! =D

Actually, do some games.

#30 Posted by Ste_Roids (13 posts) -

I had to been meaning to watch that Pegg and Frost skit but hadn't got around to it yet, it was brilliant!

And your abstract interpretation of A New Hope was cool too.

#31 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

Is it okay if I use that for a quilt pattern? I heard the chicks really dig trippy Star Wars quilts.

#32 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11019 posts) -

That was kind of amazing. I didn't get all of it, but I'm kind of bad at this kind of visual abstraction stuff. Well done.

#33 Posted by Synthballs (2193 posts) -

But who shot first

#34 Posted by ahoodedfigure (4237 posts) -

This is excellent. You should try to network this a bit, I can see it becoming a bit of a meme.

#36 Posted by Ghost407 (166 posts) -

this is rad

#37 Posted by damswedon (3168 posts) -

I got all but the poker chip looking one at F5

#38 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

Well done. I got most of it.

#39 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5235 posts) -

Thank you for reawakening the star wars nerd inside me.

#40 Posted by Brackynews (3966 posts) -

Ladies and gentlemen, buzz_clik puts the ON in iconography.

#41 Edited by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -
@damswedon said:

" I got all but the poker chip looking one at F5 "

Let the Wookie win.

Also, I think you meant F4.
#42 Posted by StarvingGamer (7567 posts) -

A+ work as per usual

#43 Edited by evildeadron (820 posts) -

let me tell you a true story, i was raised catholic until i was able to discern fact from fiction but in 6th grade i had to get my "confirmation", now when i was a young lad the only thing i cared about before girls, was Star Wars, so much so that i wanted to choose Darth or Vader as my confirmation name. Apparently the church frowns on this because the name you choose must appear in the bible. Hence my confirmation name is Luke, not for the apostle, but for the son of  Annakin Skywalker. 

this being said 

Buzz_Click, if we didn't already have our special moments during live streams, i would marry you 

great job dude 

(edit) i used my 500th post on you fool
#44 Posted by buzz_clik (6837 posts) -
@evildeadron: That story was beautiful, mate.

@evildeadron said:
" i used my 500th post on you fool "
Cigarette?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.