Who actually delivered the best performance?

#1 Posted by Matthew (1911 posts) -

So my nephew is in town, visiting for a week.  And he's crazy about star wars - his dad has done a good job.  So we've just finished Episode 1. 
Now I know Lucas has totally ruined the prequels and such, but I was curious as to who you guys think was actually able to bring some type of gravitas or some type of seriousness to their character?  Who made it seem like they weren't just reading their cues off the big text cards?

Since seeing Episode 1, I would have to say Liam Neeson (qui-gon), or Pernilla August (anakins mom).  Although throughout the prequels, I think it would have to go to Ewan McGregor (obi-wan).

#2 Posted by JacobBrodersen (316 posts) -

Harrison Ford effortlessly plays the role of the scoundrel, he's also the most interesting character of all Star Wars imo. :)

#3 Edited by Bucketdeth (8004 posts) -

I didn't like that little kid as Darth Vader, seemed really out of place, I thought his childhood would have been a little darker, it's like out of knowhere "Hey I'm a bad guy now, ok?"

#4 Posted by Matthew (1911 posts) -
@JacobBrodersen said:
" Harrison Ford effortlessly plays the role of the scoundrel, he's also the most interesting character of all Star Wars imo. :) "
Oh, there's no question about that, but I wanted to make this a harder question, sorry for not clarifying.  The Prequels.  Episodes 1-3.

@Bucketdeth said:
" I didn't like that little kid as Darth Vader, seemed really out of place, I thought his childhood would have been a little darker, it's like out of knowhere "Hey I'm a bad guy now, ok?" "
Yes.  He was way too innocent to be the future Vader, which is probably what Lucas was shooting for, but he just didn't feel right to me either.

#5 Posted by JacobBrodersen (316 posts) -
@Matthew said:
" @JacobBrodersen said:
" Harrison Ford effortlessly plays the role of the scoundrel, he's also the most interesting character of all Star Wars imo. :) "
Oh, there's no question about that, but I wanted to make this a harder question, sorry for not clarifying.  The Prequels.  Episodes 1-3.

@Bucketdeth said:
" I didn't like that little kid as Darth Vader, seemed really out of place, I thought his childhood would have been a little darker, it's like out of knowhere "Hey I'm a bad guy now, ok?" "
Yes.  He was way too innocent to be the future Vader, which is probably what Lucas was shooting for, but he just didn't feel right to me either. "
Oh! Guess i missread :)
Hmm, in the old films... well, it kinda have to be Ewan McGregor, cept for the odd comedic puns like "this is why hate flying" but that isn't really his fault. :P
#6 Posted by jakob187 (21645 posts) -

Sam Witwer as Galen Marek (aka Starkiller) in Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.  There is NO better performance in Star Wars history.  That's almost to the point of non-negotiable.

#7 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@jakob187 said:
" Sam Witwer as Galen Marek (aka Starkiller) in Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.  There is NO better performance in Star Wars history.  That's almost to the point of non-negotiable. "
This..Sam Witwer did a great job in Force Unleashed. He also did the voice of Palpatine in the game.
#8 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

I like Liam Neeson, and Ian McDiarmid. (Especially in Episode III)

#9 Posted by jakob187 (21645 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @jakob187 said:
" Sam Witwer as Galen Marek (aka Starkiller) in Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.  There is NO better performance in Star Wars history.  That's almost to the point of non-negotiable. "
This..Sam Witwer did a great job in Force Unleashed. He also did the voice of Palpatine in the game. "
It seriously makes me wonder why Sam Witwer wasn't cast as Anakin Skywalker.  Might've made the prequelogy as amazing as it should've been rather than just mediocre.
#10 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@jakob187 said:
" @CL60 said:
" @jakob187 said:
This..Sam Witwer did a great job in Force Unleashed. He also did the voice of Palpatine in the game. "
It seriously makes me wonder why Sam Witwer wasn't cast as Anakin Skywalker.  Might've made the prequelogy as amazing as it should've been rather than just mediocre.
"
WHAT?! I'm looking at imdb see what Sam Witwers latest project is..and his next movie he plays.."Social Worker"  :/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.