Why was the first star wars movie ep.4?

#1 Posted by banned8921 (1246 posts) -

Its always bugged me why george lucas called the first star wars film episode 4. when he didnt even make the first 3 yet was he always planning on making the prequels or was he just trying to make his movie seem like a great franchise or something. ive never seen a star wars movie just got curious because of the force unleashed review.

#2 Edited by TheJollyRajah (1576 posts) -

What the hell? Go watch the original trilogy. Some of the most historic films in history.

Avoid the prequels!

#3 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

Because it wasn't. The first movie was Star Wars, they started to add all that garbage after Lucas damaged his brain like in the 90s.

#4 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -
TheJollyRajah said:
"What the hell? Go watch the original trilogy. Some of the most historic films in history.

Avoid the prequels!"
You tell 'em!
#5 Edited by CoinMatze (470 posts) -

There was some rumour that he actually wrote three trilogies in the 70s and went for the second because it was the only one he could see getting done with all the special effects restrictions they had back then. The original scripts of the first trilogy were also very different from what they now are.

And when you're done watching Star Wars IV - VI, go watch the Indiana Jones trilogy. I said trilogy!

#6 Posted by SSbabel (1141 posts) -

The reason is that George Lucas has two brains and is a genius.

#7 Posted by TrulyAlive (900 posts) -
SSbabel said:
"The reason is that George Lucas has two brains and is a genius."
Funniest thing I have ever read in  my life.
Seriously, though, don't you think it's funny that the Star Wars film often considered best, The Empire Strikes Back, is the one that he had least to do with? He wrote the script, but it was re-written several times. He didn't direct and apparently, the whole film-making process was a lot smoother without him.
I'm guessing the guy is a visionary when it comes to conceiving ideas, but in the execution, he fails to listen to reason.
#8 Edited by Emilio (3380 posts) -
Bo17 said:
"SSbabel said:
"The reason is that George Lucas has two brains and is a genius."
Funniest thing I have ever read in  my life.
Seriously, though, don't you think it's funny that the Star Wars film often considered best, The Empire Strikes Back, is the one that he had least to do with? He wrote the script, but it was re-written several times. He didn't direct and apparently, the whole film-making process was a lot smoother without him.
I'm guessing the guy is a visionary when it comes to conceiving ideas, but in the execution, he fails to listen to reason."
Because that's how it should have been. He should have only written the stories and left the directing and script to someone else.
Just think of how amazing the prequels would have been if they were done by real writers and directors.
#9 Posted by smack (24 posts) -

He started with episode 4 because it was WAY more interesting than 1-3.

#10 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Didn't it start with IV because he knew at the time he could ever get the budgets for an entire army of clones or do the effects correctly, so he started in the latter part where everything could be cheap and rusty?

#11 Posted by Vaxadrin (2297 posts) -

There are only 3 Star Wars movies.  The first one is called A New Hope.

#12 Posted by Jecrell (241 posts) -

You'd almost think Goerge Lucas stole someone else's work looking back on the original films compared to the rest.

#13 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -
Jecrell said:
"You'd almost think Goerge Lucas stole someone else's work looking back on the original films compared to the rest."
*cough* Spielberg *cough*

But yes it seems Mr Lucas in all his wisdom decided he would do the last 3 films in his series first and go back to doing the first 3 at a later date which he did. However by the time he got to Episodes 1, 2, 3 i believe he just lost his touch. He forgot what Star Wars was about and decided to just make a big budget CGI film with the odd lightsaber scene in it...
#14 Posted by MattyFTM (14347 posts) -

The original plan was to do episodes 4-6, go back and do the prequels 1-3, and then go and do the sequels 7-9. After the original trilogy he abandoned the idea of the prequels and sequels, before much more recently deciding to do the prequels, but the sequels are still off the cards (although personally I'd like to see them, I think they could easily be better than the prequels).

I suspect the decisions for the ordering happened for 2 main reasons. Firstly, storyline reasons. The original trilogy wouldn't have been the same if you knew that *spoiler, but its nothing that anyone shouldn't know anyway* Darth Vader was Luke's father. Secondly, technological reasons. The prequel trilogy would have been virtually impossible to do with the technology of the original trilogy. Scenes with the clones would have required thousands of extra's, and many of the action scenes would have been  impossible to do with anywhere near the quality that they were.

Moderator
#15 Posted by Willy105 (4688 posts) -
MattyFTM said:
"The original plan was to do episodes 4-6, go back and do the prequels 1-3, and then go and do the sequels 7-9. After the original trilogy he abandoned the idea of the prequels and sequels, before much more recently deciding to do the prequels, but the sequels are still off the cards (although personally I'd like to see them, I think they could easily be better than the prequels).

I suspect the decisions for the ordering happened for 2 main reasons. Firstly, storyline reasons. The original trilogy wouldn't have been the same if you knew that *spoiler, but its nothing that anyone shouldn't know anyway* Darth Vader was Luke's father. Secondly, technological reasons. The prequel trilogy would have been virtually impossible to do with the technology of the original trilogy. Scenes with the clones would have required thousands of extra's, and many of the action scenes would have been  impossible to do with anywhere near the quality that they were."
You tell 'em.
#16 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1734 posts) -
CoinMatze said:
And when you're done watching Star Wars IV - VI, go watch the Indiana Jones. I said oneology!"
Fixed.
#17 Edited by Oni (2095 posts) -
TheJollyRajah said:
"Some of the most historic films in history."
That... that doesn't mean anything, at all. I think. Maybe you just blew my mind? Who knows.
#18 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

The whole idea of making a trilogy and then making a prequel trilogy is pretty unique, but I have to say that "The Phantom Menace", "Attack of the Clones" and "Revenge of the Sith" really disappointed me. But I saw them nevertheless. I find my self enjoying the first trilogy a lot more.

#19 Edited by BiffMcBlumpkin (3720 posts) -

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope was not originally released as the 4th Episode of the series or as "A new Hope," it was simply released as "Star Wars."

How much of the story he had in mind that time is a matter of debate, it's even debated how much of Episodes V and VI he had in mind at the time (if any at all.) Most people think he didn't have anything written beyond the original Star Wars at the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Episode_IV:_A_New_Hope#Lucas.27_claims

And for those of you talking about it seeming like he "stole" something in creating the original Star Wars, he borrowed heavily from Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress. Also, the style of

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.