Will the Star Wars live action TV series be awesome? (Poll)

#1 Posted by MB (12722 posts) -
#2 Posted by MB (12722 posts) -

If you didn't know about this already, there is a TV series in production that will focus on the events between Episodes III and IV, around the time when the Jedi are being exterminated by the Galactic Empire and the first Death Star is being constructed.

I have high hopes for this series, and even though it may not air until 2011, I'll be following it as closely as possible until then. Do you think this series is more likely to be great, or will it suck?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_live-action_TV_series

#3 Posted by EpicSteve (6492 posts) -

If the last few years of Star Wars related media is representative of the quality the show will present then...

#4 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

I have heard that they are already gaurenteeing this show this show will run for some insane amount of episodes. But I dont remember where I heard this so its probably a lie.

Hopefully it'll be awesome. But I doubt it.

#5 Posted by MB (12722 posts) -
c1337us said:
"I have heard that they are already gaurenteeing this show this show will run for some insane amount of episodes.
I think Rick McCallum was saying that the series could be as long as 400 episodes and could go on for years and years.

The thing is...it's Star Wars, so even if it's terrible it will probably never get canceled.
#6 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Oh, this is still being made?

Huh. I don't really care either way. Star Wars has become pretty meh. It's all been done to death.

#7 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -

High hopes, low expectations.

Sci-Fi series need to be written completely before production.  They need to have a beginning, a middle and an end.  Otherwise you get Star Trek or Stargate instead of Babylon 5 (imo the best sci-fi show ever).
#8 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

I'd like to think it'll be awesome and so forth. But I can't honestly see it being that great.

Instead of actually making something good I can't help but feel they'll milk the canon and retcon it to suit a TV series of numerous seasons over a length of time. Plus Lucas has this crazy love affair with refusing to not go beyond the Episode 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 era. What about a TV series focusing on what happens after ROTJ? Or an Old Republic setting?

That being said it might work out, but my stance at the moment will be highly sceptical.

#9 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -
Hamz said:
 Or an Old Republic setting?"
i want this. You hear so much interesting backstory in the games dammit D:<
#10 Posted by Dimsey (962 posts) -

Awesome compared to most of the crap on TV nowadays? Absolutely.
Otherwise don't know. Could go either way. I'm hopeful. I didn't absolutely despise the Eps 1 through 3, I like the Clone Wars stuff.
Nothings really met the quality of the original trilogy but I've not seen anything in Star Wars as outright bad. Except Jar Jar and Hayden Chrissomethingsontonwhatever.
Eh.

#11 Posted by Rowr (5824 posts) -

B. for ban.

ITS A TRAP.

#12 Posted by Gmanall (1683 posts) -

Starwars it rocks end of story

#13 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -

Lucas has proved over and over that 4,5,6 were flukes and that anything he touches turns to shit.  Therefore this show will be shit.

#14 Edited by MattyFTM (14417 posts) -

I want it to be good, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

#15 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11914 posts) -

The chances of this TV series actually being good is questionable at best, but I can guarantee that it will be just as, if not more successful than that dumb Clone Wars CG series.

#16 Posted by TooWalrus (13237 posts) -
ninjakiller said:
"Lucas has proved over and over that 4,5,6 were flukes and that anything he touches turns to shit.  Therefore this show will be shit."
Yeah, that guy could produce good movies, but that was before his head got stuck up his ass. He's convinced his creations are better than they actually are...
#17 Posted by Kombat (2205 posts) -

As far as I'm concerned, the Clone Wars TV series has been pretty awesome.

#18 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

I dunno, it could be good. I have to say though Star wars fans are more harsh then trekkers. I dunno I enjoyed episode 1 and 3  2 was kind of...a let down. So who knows.
The 3d movie should have NEVER happend.

#19 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

I don't know. It's right in the middle of the good and the bad so it could go either way.

#20 Posted by Gmanall (1683 posts) -

I would like a live action as long as it looks good and not like all the half-baked things on the Sci-Fi channel.  

#21 Posted by Snail (8617 posts) -

STOP THE RAPE.

#22 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

Eeeeh, I'm very pessimistic.  Star Wars ended on such a positive note with Revenge of the Sith, I wish they would just let the live-action stuff go.
The problem is, is that Star Wars has become such a high-production values project that now condensing that down into a TV show that won't seem overtly shitty by comparison seems like it'll be a tall order.  I just keep seeing glimpses of it being akin to Xena: Warrior Princess, but in space.
And that's not a good thing... that's a bad thing.

#23 Posted by Gmanall (1683 posts) -

If they plan to do 400 episodes that could fill up the nerd in me for awhile.

#24 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

It will most likely suck.

#25 Posted by ZombiePie (5708 posts) -

It doesn't take place in the expanded universe so I don't care. I'm tired of the gaps in the universe of the movies being covered, I WANT SOMETHING DIFFERENT!

#26 Posted by The_Patriarch (280 posts) -

Whilst I will admit to liking the animated Clone Wars show on tv at the moment (That does not include the Clone Wars "movie" that went ahead of it, which, unfortunately, wasnt as good as later episodes have been in my opinion), I doubt this will be any good. Would love for Lucas to prove me wrong though.

#27 Posted by REDRUN (1410 posts) -

Yes, it would be awesome... then the novelty will wear right off and suck to the point of Smallville suck-assness.

#28 Posted by mracoon (4972 posts) -

The last good Star Wars thing was the Clone Wars and that was the best thing since the original trilogy. Almost everything in between and after (excluding the games) have been either quite bad or terrible.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.