Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Starbound

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released Jul 22, 2016

Traverse lush procedurally-generated star systems in this 2D sci-fi sandbox platformer similar to Terraria and Minecraft.

Steam/Starbound Issue

GrizzledWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GrizzledWolf

Hey duders.

I was playing starbound last friday with a few of you for most of the night and ran into nearly no problems with the game's performance whatsoever. I tried starting it up a couple of days ago and it just continued to crash steam, so I uninstalled it and then tried to re-install it. It will get to 100% done but then crap out once it goes to update. (Disc read error, or some such thing) I tried the support system on steam's website for this error and nothing seemed to work.

Ive contacted steam about it, but Ive heard they can take quite a while to reply. Also, there was a thread started in the chucklefish forums, but one of the devs said he had no idea what the problem could be..

In short, I was wondering if any of you might have any idea what could be effecting the install/update? I'm not very computer savvy so I don't really know what else to try...

Any help or tips is very appreciated, thanks

(edit; first post, wasn't sure what "allow this to be answered" meant.. my bad >_<)

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Funnily enough, this is exactly the kind of thing "allowed to be answered" is for - you can pick the best answer that fixes your problem.

As for what is causing it, I have no idea. Disc read error you say? Obviously the game isn't installing off a disc, so I presume that means hard disc, which implies some sort of hardware failure. But if you aren't seeing any problems elsewhere on your machine that message may just be incorrect.

Try uninstalling Starbound again, and you could try flushing Steam also?
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3134-TIAL-4638

Might make a difference if Steam is just confused as to whether the game is installed or not. Or it could do nothing! Worth a go.

GrizzledWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks Chav. I tried flushing the files and am trying to update the game once more. The weird thing is that none of the other games I have downloaded are effected, it's just Starbound.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

This happened to my cousin once on some other steam game, don't remember what it was. Don't remember how he fixed it either, it was either redownloading or reinstalling steam. Might've been an actual harddrive issue though since he had a harddrive failure or something a little later.

GrizzledWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shirogane: A couple of the guys in the chucklefish forum said they tried reinstalling steam but it didn't work out for them. I might give it a go though if I dont have any other options. thank you

GrizzledWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, the file flushing didn't work so I'll try to re-install steam in the morning, thanks again

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I'm having the same issues OP.

GrizzledWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@julian: Tried that already, the game isn't running in the background unfortunately : /

I don't know if it means anything, but when I go to reinstall it always takes a long time "discovering local files", and usually freezes steam for a few minutes before going through with the installation process. I've checked my hard drive after uninstalling it and there doesnt seem to be any files left. for it to "discover". Not sure what that's all about, if anything..

GrizzledWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GrizzledWolf

@esrever: it's really unfortunate.. I hope that steam will have some kind of solution, the game is really great and Id like to be able to play it again

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@grizzledwolf: Alright, with the help of @shirogane I was able to fix mine. On top of uninstalling it through steam, I went to my common folder under SteamApps and completely deleted the Starbound folder (at first i couldn't because there were 6 instances of Starbound open under my processes tab in my task manager. That could have been the problem alone)

After doing that, I just redownloaded it through Steam and it launched with no issues. Hope this helps!

Hewitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grizzledwolf: First I'd try to force Steam to re-update itself by goin ginto your Steam directory and deleting the ClientRegistry.Blob, don't worry this won't affect your games etc, this will just make Steam force itself to update.

Next I'd se if it's a hardware failure by going into my computer, and right clicking the drive in which your Steam is installed to, and running an error check on the hdd: Rigt click>Properties>Tools>Error Checking>Check now.

Hope it's not hardware failure! Hope it's just Steam being Steam :)

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Amikron

For anyone having issues, when you go to install make sure (as ESREVER stated) that you go to your starbound folder (...\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound by default) and purge it just in case. My friend was having some issues with her install and they cleared up fine after she deleted and reinstalled.

Fun times!

GrizzledWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hewitt: I had tried doing an auto check on my harddrive before and it said it was alright. I just finished forcing it to check for errors, like you said, and it turns out there were a few errors on the drive. Thank you pointing that out it's all fixed up now.

@shirogane: After repairing my hard drive I went in and deleted all my steam files and re-installed it altogether, this seems to have worked.

The game works fine now, thank you to everyone who gave me some suggestions to figuring this thing out, I'm very grateful : )

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grizzledwolf: Glad you got it fixed up, hope to see you online some time!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.