Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Mar 12, 2013

The second chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy, Heart of the Swarm is a science fiction-themed real-time strategy game for PC and Mac. Players take control of the vicious Zerg faction in an interstellar war against the hard-nosed Terrans and psionic Protoss.

Day9 casting HoW games at Blizzard

Spectreman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Spectreman

New units:

Heylook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Heylook

Oh wow, protoss. brotoss.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By GunslingerPanda

This excites me!

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By benjaebe

Those units look nuts. Really looking forward to the expansion.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Bollard

Thanks for sharing that was awesome!

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Ben_H

I really like the Mothership Core. It finally allows Protoss to properly harrass without risking the entire game, especially against Terran where there is basically no retreat against stim bio early on if you lose your sentries. It also makes certain parts of the early game way less coinflippy because of the super-mega photon cannon. As long as the recall radius is limited to a smaller number of units I don't see issue with it. If it can recall an entire 200/200 army then that would be crazy broken.

The thing that does the Scorpion hook will always be hilarious. It's like "GET OVER HERE" and the siege tank is like "NOOOOOOO".

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By zombie2011

The Tempests are insane! They took out those tanks so damn quickly, broodlords but for Protoss.

Are Carriers going to be in this expansion? I remember reading somewhere that one of the changes is that Protoss will no longer have Carriers.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ben_H
    @zombie2011 said:

Are Carriers going to be in this expansion? I remember reading somewhere that one of the changes is that Protoss will no longer have Carriers.

No one knows yet. According to the bits of a developer interview I read on Team Liquid, they're still arguing about whether to remove it or not. The original reasoning for removing it was that nobody used it and that it had no role, but it has started to be used in the lategame versus Zerg now and it seems to be quite useful. They're not getting rid of the Mothership now because people have found an important use for it and it has become a pivotal unit in parts of the game. I could see the same logic being applied to Carriers if people keep using them like they are now.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FluxWaveZ

That Oracle "entombed" ability looks like some annoying shit.

And now Zerg's the only race that doesn't have their own "Planetary Fortress". Not that they necessarily should or whatever, but it would be nice to see Zerg bases be able to do something like Protoss or Terran ones can.other than just evolve.

Moving burrowed banelings weren't featured, so I'm guessing those immediately got removed as some were suspecting.

CountMacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CountMacula

So Khaldor is throwing up titbits about HotS on twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/khaldor - mostly Terrain at the moment, presumably because the Battle Report was PvZ.

Couple of notables:

• There is no hero Thor, you can still build multiples
    • Warhounds don't have anti-air
    • Hellions are in battle-mode by default (similar to how the Viking is in air-mode by default)
    • Widow mines are built from the factory, cost 75/25, benefit from reactor and you can load 4 into a medivac.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zombie2011

@Ben_H said:

@zombie2011 said:

No one knows yet. According to the bits of a developer interview I read on Team Liquid, they're still arguing about whether to remove it or not. The original reasoning for removing it was that nobody used it and that it had no role, but it has started to be used in the lategame versus Zerg now and it seems to be quite useful. They're not getting rid of the Mothership now because people have found an important use for it and it has become a pivotal unit in parts of the game. I could see the same logic being applied to Carriers if people keep using them like they are now.

I think no one uses carriers so we should remove it is the wrong approach. They should re-balance it so that people do use it, the main problem is that they are so slow, and can get torn up basic level units like Marines and Hydras.

But then again being the guys who balance units for SC2 is probably one of the hardest jobs, and i'm just talking out of my ass.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#12  Edited By sjschmidt93

That mine ability looks pretty awesome... I can imagine at the high levels the best players being able to micro the targeted units away and take minimal damage. Also, if it does friendly fire it would be even more exciting.

These are certainly looking better than they did at BlizzCon last year.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By thatfrood

How games at blizzard what?

TheJappernaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheJappernaut

When they first unveiled the new HotS units I was skeptical but after seeing these I'm so exited for the expansion. I would love to see how pro-players are going to use these new units.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GunslingerPanda

HotS TvZ game on MLG stream right now.

http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/live

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@GunslingerPanda said:

After that last Reaper escaped the Zerg's clutches, it had a green aura and started healing all of its HP back without a Medivac. What's up with that?

Ling, Viper, Hydralisk looks fun as hell.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By haffy

It's the new combat drugs upgrade. Looks pretty good, makes them pretty useful harass units.

Spectreman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Spectreman

Seems a little more hard to watch now, because the new units have big range or are occult, but maybe its because we are not yet familiar with them.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Jace

@FluxWaveZ: Reaper is losing the db8 charge in exchange for an hp regen skill.

CountMacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CountMacula

@GunslingerPanda said:

Is there an archived version of this? Can't seem to find it in the MLG site....

TheJappernaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheJappernaut

@CountMacula: I had to skip through the restream to see it. you can probably wait until blizzard uploads it on youtube, but if you can't wait you need to go through the VOD.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By csl316

Some interesting stuff. Entomb seems awful because I don't think you'll get a notification (and by awful, I mean super effective). I played a lot of Terran so the mine and Hellion walker seem kind of crazy. Not really sure what I think of the Warhound.

Nice to see hydras become more viable, and just seeing how the new units can change things up for Zerg.

Spectreman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Spectreman

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.