Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Mar 12, 2013

The second chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy, Heart of the Swarm is a science fiction-themed real-time strategy game for PC and Mac. Players take control of the vicious Zerg faction in an interstellar war against the hard-nosed Terrans and psionic Protoss.

Do I need to have 2 installed...

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

To play this tonight? I reaaaaally don't feel like hunting for the disc, so I'd like to know what I need to do.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2 chaser324  Moderator

Can't you just download and install it from the Battle.net site?

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sarnecki: did you register the client online? you can download the game from battle.net so you won't need the disc. but to answer the thread title, yes, the game needs to be installed as it's essentially a patch.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I looked it up and no, you don't need the original disc. If you're buying a retail copy like I am, the original game is included on the Heart Of The Swarm disc, so for those wondering, no need to track it down.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Technically, they both run from the same client (It is just called Starcraft II). You can switch between expansions in the "Gameplay" settings in the options menu in the upper left corner of that area of the menu.

You don't want to install using your WoL disc, it will take like 8 hours to patch because it starts at 1.0 and then does a bunch of patches. It is much faster to use the HOTS disc or install the client from Battlenet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.