Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Mar 12, 2013

The second chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy, Heart of the Swarm is a science fiction-themed real-time strategy game for PC and Mac. Players take control of the vicious Zerg faction in an interstellar war against the hard-nosed Terrans and psionic Protoss.

is it to late?

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Let me start by saying i was gold league in wings of liberty. havent played in a year at least. maybe 2.

My friend plays heart of the swarm and only that game. He keeps telling me i need to get it to play together. he loves 2 vs 2.

ive never even seen this game before. havent read up on it or anything.

Is it still going strong? Would i even have fun playing this now or would i just be stomped over and over?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Starcraft 2 is worth playing for the singleplayer alone, multiplayer is a faint shadow of the original's glory and essentially the way everyone plays is to copy someone else; Blizzard basically negated 90% of the early game by making early game turtling extremely viable through progressive nerfs; the amount of micro needed for a large group of units is also drastically lower since you can select as many as you want (well up to 255, can't get that many in a regular game) thus greatly lowering the skill ceiling.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@fredchuckdave: Uhm, how is it lowering the skill ceiling that you don't have to do unneccessary busywork to move a large army? You still need to split them up in smaller groups to micro properly...

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@fredchuckdave: i never touch the campaigns. They actually bore me. But i had some fun with the multiplayer. Also i had plenty of trouble microing well in Wings of Liberty. Did they do something to make that easier too?

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@tobbrobb: Don't get him started..

Plenty of people still play SC2, the playbase isn't going anywhere soon.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By chiablo

Starcraft 2 is still going strong. The proliferation of League of Legends has caused it to lose a lot of popularity in Korea, but there is still a strong interest in it.

The single-player is a lot of fun, just ignore everything plot related (the story is as bad as Diablo 3's). The actual missions are interesting and there is a huge amount of variety. The single player alone is worth the price of admission.

Multiplayer is a mixed bag of frustration and fun... I loved multiplayer Starcraft with Wings of Liberty, but I feel that the expansion ruined the game. I primarily play Zerg, and the Terran's Spider Mines have caused me to ragequit so hard that I won't play again: I can't counter it, and my macro isn't good enough to bait an attack.

I'll probably get back into multiplayer up with the next expansion and I'm sure 2v2 with a dedicated partner would be a lot of fun. But there is a reason MOBAs (or ARTS, whatever you want to call them) have taken over the competitive eSports scene. There's something really satisfying about working together as a team that you just can't get with a 1v1 game.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By TobbRobb

@scroll: I was just curious. It seemed like such a bad example when there is arguably real differences between BW and SC2 that could be called "dumbed down". Ah whatever, doesn't matter.

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Fredchuckdave is a protoss player obviously.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.