Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Mar 12, 2013

The second chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy, Heart of the Swarm is a science fiction-themed real-time strategy game for PC and Mac. Players take control of the vicious Zerg faction in an interstellar war against the hard-nosed Terrans and psionic Protoss.

Loving Starcraft 2 Again

noahtheboa999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Edited By noahtheboa999

Well, I honestly didn't think it'd happen, but somehow I've been sucked back into Starcraft 2, just like I did on spring break two years ago. Of course, that was largely due to the release of Heart of the Swarm, and with a release date for the next expansion nowhere in sight, what was it that got me back into the game? Honestly, I can't say for sure, and I've tried a few times since March of 2013 to get invested in the game again. I've been unsuccessful, only playing a few bot matches here and there before burning out. Now though, I've started the Wings of Liberty campaign for what must be the third or fourth time. Not only that, I've been making a real effort to improve my tactics against bots, and the progress I'm seeing and new strategies I've been adopting are reason enough to keep going. It took a few hours, but I can safely say that I'm once again hopelessly addicted to Starcraft 2.

So what was my experience back when Heart of the Swarm was released? I, like many people I'm sure, found my interest reignited at the prospect of not only new units and tweaks to the multiplayer, but also new campaign content. While I'm sure the statistics for people who play Starcraft 2 for the campaign are very low, I've always found the single-player content Blizzard puts out to be extremely rewarding. You can easily get base-building gameplay from AI skirmishes and multiplayer, but the campaign throws balance out the window. It becomes a power fantasy of monumental proportions, throwing dozens of unique units and abilities at the player, giving them a whole lot to mess around with which isn't available in the multiplayer. The mission structure is also nothing to sneeze at, with unique objectives at every turn. It made the lengthy campaign in the first game engaging throughout, and is largely what encouraged me to pick up the expansion at launch.

But of course, the campaign does end eventually, and while hours of enjoyment can be garnered from going back and replaying missions for achievements (and at higher difficulties), curiosity about the other half of the game was inevitable for me. The terrifyingly high skill-ceiling in Starcraft 2 multiplayer has always interested me, and while I doubt I'll ever be invested enough to make it up the ranks; getting better against AI has remained enjoyable for years. Each time I start another AI skirmish, I hone my skills just a little bit more, and every time I think of new strategies. Perhaps I built a supply depot slightly late, and as a result I was supply blocked. Watching footage of the game is also helpful, and is a great source for finding new strategies to employ later on.

In any case, I've loved getting back into what I consider to be a damn-near perfect game, and undoubtedly the best strategy game I've ever played. I'm planning to continue through the Wings of Liberty campaign today, and maybe do a few more AI matches. I'd also like to learn Protoss at some point, but that may have to wait until I have more basic strategy down.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I lost interest in the HoTs pretty quickly, but thats just because i'm not a huge fan of the Zerg. The Protoss however; oh man i'm so excited for Legacy of the Void.

Also playing HoTs (Heroes of the Storm) has really made me realize how much i i like the characters in the Starcraft Universe. Pretty much exclusively pick heroes from Starcraft, maybe they are OP who knows.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.