MLG Dallas 2013

• 64 results
#1 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3787 posts) -

Is anybody else watching this? Please tell me somebody saw the Bomber vs. Goswser matches. First Bomber targeting his own medivacs with Seeker Missiles to win was crazy then holy bananas that 1:20 game 3 match was totally nuts. I've just started watching today but man it's been great so far.

#2 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

I'm watching it somewhat. I only saw a little bit of the Bomber v. Goswser matches.

#3 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3787 posts) -

Bomber took it 3-1 but that 3rd game was incredible. The whole series was pretty great especially game 2 and 3. Koreans are pretty much walking over everyone else especially the Terrans.

#4 Posted by mrpandaman (864 posts) -

I didn't watch the Bomber vs Goswser, but I was watching Stephano vs Last and that was a huge disappointment since I was rooting for Stephano. However, Last in game 2 won with so many multi-pronged attacks and harassment. I've never seen a player like Stephano get so dismantled like that.

Terran has become the strongest race in HotS and zergs are having such a hard time dealing with them. The match I'm looking forward to later today is Flash vs Ret even though it's ZvT and Flash is so damn good, I'm cheering for Ret to win that one.

#5 Edited by StarvingGamer (8016 posts) -

I need to start watching SC2 again. Are MLG vods paid or free?

#6 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3787 posts) -

@mrpandaman: watch the vods for it dude, game 3 is gonna be talked about for a long damn time. Yeah I caught the end of Stephano vs Last and it looked like he just got run over. Terran is wrecking everyone that medivac speed seems kinda nuts.

@starvinggamer: not too sure, the 720 feed is free, they're using Twitch now.

#7 Posted by mrpandaman (864 posts) -

@thesoutherndandy: Definitely will watch it, already heard great things about it. And yeah it was no contest between Last and Stephano.

#8 Posted by Thule (692 posts) -

Bomber vs Goswser was awesome. Bomber nuking his own army was hilarious.

It's too early too judge anything balance related though, considering it's just a bunch of really good korean terrans smashing foreigners and the metagame is still very young. I think we'll need to wait for like 1 maybe 2 GSL's before you can say anything about balance.

#9 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3787 posts) -

@thule: Haha yeah. And yeah agreed. People need to have some time with the game before they change any units. I haven't seen any Zerg use swarm lords, i feel like once somebody figures out how to use them they're gonna be pretty strong.

#10 Posted by Thule (692 posts) -

@thule: Haha yeah. And yeah agreed. People need to have some time with the game before they change any units. I haven't seen any Zerg use swarm lords, i feel like once somebody figures out how to use them they're gonna be pretty strong.

Leenock used Swarm Hosts against Babyknight, with quite a bit of success. You should check those games out if you want a peek into (maybe) future zerg styles.

#11 Posted by Wunder_ (1167 posts) -

Terran OP

#12 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3787 posts) -

@thule: oh sweet yeah I missed that match. Holy lord the Thorzain vs Killer match will never eeeeeend. Husky and DJ Wheat have been hilarious.

#13 Posted by mrpandaman (864 posts) -

@thule said:

@thesoutherndandy said:

Leenock used Swarm Hosts against Babyknight, with quite a bit of success. You should check those games out if you want a peek into (maybe) future zerg styles.

Yeah swarm hosts can be really good against Protoss, if you look at Liquid Ret, he was one of the first to do hydra/ swarmhost against Protoss. You have to hit them before they get too many colossus though, but if they do there has to be corruptors to deal with them. Also have to deny observers over the swarmhosts with the hydras and overseers for detection.

In other matchups like ZvT it's really hard to use swarmhosts effectively especially if they go bio, because swarm hosts are so immobile and terran drops can do so much damage. It'd be really dumb to use them in ZvZ, because that matchup is like 90% muta vs muta. The other thing that kind of sucks about getting swarm hosts is that zerg must really commit to them, getting like 10-12+ of them to be effective enough. But if successful, it's almost impossible to stop them, because it's fighting free units (locusts) with resources. It can be a slow loss if a player can't stop the locusts.

#14 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3787 posts) -

@mrpandaman: Yeah that makes sense. I'm gonna have to watch more Ret games.

#15 Posted by ThatFrood (3373 posts) -
#16 Edited by Ben_H (3312 posts) -

Bomber vs. Goswser was so sick! MC vs. MVP has been so far too. Sen vs. Parting was great too. Sen played amazing in game 1.

So happy to see crappy foreigner zergs who only won because of Infestor/Broodlord finally be shown that they aren't actually that good. Some of those games they played today and yesterday were downright embarrassing. People were saying that medivacs let Flash beat Ret but that is not the case. Flash was massively outplaying him and Ret never even tried to deal with mines. Ret is a great zerg but Flash is on a different level.

I am concerned about people judging balance off those games though. It was Code S calibre players going against people who don't even play in GSL or Proleague (except Stephano, but he was seeded and got stomped in Code S so he doesn't really count. He got back into Code S in a different game). Of course it won't be close. Judge ZvT when it is Life or DRG or something, not Bly and Goswser.

For the swarm host discussion, there are mass swarm host/corruptor/hydra/overseer strategies popping up that seem quite strong against Protoss unless defended perfectly. There is still so much to figure out in this game. It is quite exciting.

#17 Edited by haffy (673 posts) -

@ben_h: Yeah. Let's just pretend the top placed Zerg came in higher than 7th at IEM as well. And at the minute it's looking unlikely that a Zerg will make it to the round of eight. Apart from that. Looks balanced.

#18 Posted by TruthTellah (8540 posts) -

@haffy said:

@ben_h: Yeah. Let's just pretend the top placed Zerg came in higher than 7th at IEM as well. And at the minute it's looking unlikely that a Zerg will make it to the round of eight. Apart from that. Looks balanced.

It looks like Life(zerg) is going to make it into the round of 8. His style is very overwhelming for a terran.

#19 Posted by haffy (673 posts) -

@truthtellah: Yeah looks like he might be the only Zerg in the round of 8. But he beat Minigun who is pretty good, but he should be expecting to beat him every time. And it looks like he's having trouble beating someone who moved to America to study and left his team. And realistically, Polt is looking pretty rusty and his TvZ looks nothing like the top Terrans TvZ.

#20 Posted by TruthTellah (8540 posts) -

@haffy: I think Polt is looking fine(I mean, he beat Creator); Life is just too dang good. He'd make most anyone look off their game. ha. I think Life has a chance against Last.

#21 Edited by haffy (673 posts) -

He's had his hellions and reapers surrounded multiple times over the series Watch some games of Polt 6 months ago, his builds were all ridiculously aggressive well timed and sharp control. His builds in this are basically completely standard WoL builds with a reaper opening and some early mines. They look nothing like other Terrans. I wouldn't be surprised if he's played HOTS beta and release the least out of all the players in the tournament.

#22 Posted by RadixNegative2 (511 posts) -

I was taking a nap yesterday with the stream going and woke up to all the yelling and excitement from the Bomber vs. Goswser game. I get up and hear them talking about Bomber bombing himself. I thought I had missed the best part, but luckily I was wrong.

That was a lot of fun. I also really enjoyed the Flash vs. Bly game on Friday.

#23 Posted by haffy (673 posts) -

First time a Terrans went mech in TvZ? That shit is scary. Really fun game to watch.

#24 Posted by csl316 (8124 posts) -

This Life/Last series has been awesome, and Day9/Incontrol is really working out for me.

#25 Posted by haffy (673 posts) -
@csl316 said:

This Life/Last series has been awesome, and Day9/Incontrol is really working out for me.

I only caught the last two games. But completely agree from what I saw.

#26 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3787 posts) -

@haffy said:
@csl316 said:

I only caught the last two games. But completely agree from what I saw.

What a great freakin series holy crap. Both those guys are so good. Also yeah Day9/Incontrol is pretty damn great.

#27 Edited by Thule (692 posts) -

Jesus Christ, Flash vs Innovation. This series is amazing.

#28 Posted by csl316 (8124 posts) -

@thule: Indeed, but watching Innovation walk his marines into that siege line was a sad time.

#29 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3787 posts) -

Yeah that was pretty crazy. I really like TvT. The finals are gonna be pretty great, it was feeling like there was nothing but Terran winning but it's guaranteed to not be a TvT so I'm happy. I hope Life takes it.

#30 Posted by mao16 (107 posts) -

Normally I don't watch sc2 or even esports in general but wow... this might might make me.

#31 Posted by csl316 (8124 posts) -

@mao16: Same here, there was just too much going on constantly and following it was a full time gig. But burning a weekend on MLG once in a while seems reasonable to me.

#32 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3787 posts) -

Life 6pools the bosstoss. So tricksy.

#33 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

That's what he gets for going Nexus first.

#34 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3787 posts) -

Watch MC cheese him back.

#35 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3787 posts) -

Wow Life made MC look silly.

#36 Posted by csl316 (8124 posts) -

Hmm... MC ain't looking great.

And I can't stop thinking of Incontrol mocking Total Biscuit all the time on State of the Games back in the day.

#37 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

I missed everything after MC got beat up by Life. How long are things going to be on standby?

Never mind, seems like I was right on time.

#38 Posted by Thule (692 posts) -

Ugghhhh, this could seriously be one the best TvZ's ever played, please don't dissapoint me.

#39 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

This is a great match so far.

And Life takes match 1.

#40 Edited by csl316 (8124 posts) -

Great, after an excellent game 1 I have to leave for an hour. Hopefully this series goes to 7 so I catch the end.

#41 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3787 posts) -

@csl316: haha yeah I thought of that too pretty funny to see them casting together. They're a good team.

I haven't watched all the matches but of what I've seen there hasn't been a boring game yet, Life/Flash has been great so far.

#42 Posted by Ben_H (3312 posts) -

@haffy said:

So how about that Life guy? I even said we should judge balance when a good zerg is playing, not far worse Zergs like were playing yesterday. Now Life is playing (and up a game) in the final and it looks pretty balanced to me. He is actually making overseers and rendering mines useless, something none of the other zergs playing yesterday did to any effect. Zergs didn't get into this MLG because the qualifier happened while the whole hellbat drop thing was going on. The next one will likely be a much more even distribution.

Stuff like this is why I keep saying we need to slow down on the whole balance whining thing. The game hasn't even been out a week and most people aren't comfortable with it yet. Like MC said, most people (he meant protoss but I do think this applies across the board) are still trying to play like WoL, of course they are going to lose doing that.

#43 Posted by haffy (673 posts) -

@ben_h said:

@haffy said:

So how about that Life guy? I even said we should judge balance when a good zerg is playing, not far worse Zergs like were playing yesterday. Now Life is playing (and up a game) in the final and it looks pretty balanced to me. He is actually making overseers and rendering mines useless, something none of the other zergs playing yesterday did to any effect. Zergs didn't get into this MLG because the qualifier happened while the whole hellbat drop thing was going on. The next one will likely be a much more even distribution.

Stuff like this is why I keep saying we need to slow down on the whole balance whining thing. The game hasn't even been out a week and most people aren't comfortable with it yet. Like MC said, most people (he meant protoss but I do think this applies across the board) are still trying to play like WoL, of course they are going to lose doing that.

Yeah I might of been a bit overzealous. But I still have not seen a good mech build, which is the truly scary thing and the style which would completely counter Lifes style.

#44 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

True. Lings and Banelings are wrecking Flash's Bio + Widow mine composition. Mech's probably what he needs.

#45 Posted by TruthTellah (8540 posts) -

@haffy: And now Life only needs one more win to take it all! His swarm style overrunning all of his opponents is a great tribute to the new Heart of the Swarm. :)

#46 Posted by csl316 (8124 posts) -

I caught just about the whole weekend except the final. Was it awesome?

#47 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3787 posts) -

WOOO LIFE! Nice work. Hell of an MLG Heart of the Swarm is looking great so far.

#48 Posted by TruthTellah (8540 posts) -

Nerf Life! >:o

heh. Glad a Zerg pulled it out; the Terrans seemed so dominant. Life did a great job.

#49 Edited by Thule (692 posts) -

Great games, great start to HotS. Life really deserved that win. Flash was awesome, but Life was just something else.

#50 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

Zerg are awesome. This has motivated me to try even harder.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.