StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm only going to have 20 missions?

#1 Posted by TermlessHalo (87 posts) -

Why 20? I don't understand why it had to be 20 missions instead of 29 missions like in Wings of Liberty.  Also what does this mean for price for the expansion?

#2 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

I should check all of the content first, but I could have sworn the whole point of splitting the campaigns are to have around 30 missions or so for each campaign.  Either the 20 missions will be quite a bit longer, there will be 20 main missions with side missions, or they better not attempt to sell the game for full retail price as that literally sounds like 2 thirds of the single-player experience that a good portion of the StarCraft audience only cares for.

#3 Posted by Strongbadman47 (154 posts) -

Because it's an expansion? It doesn't need to have the same amount of content to be it out like this. The major addition is the next chapter of the campaign, with the multiplayer and B.Net getting tweaks. Blizzard laid out the structure to the three sections of the game early on. With the expansions having less content, but at a cheaper price (Around $40).

I think it's good to have fewer missions so the game comes out sooner! (If ever so slightly...)

#4 Posted by onimonkii (2434 posts) -
@ShiftyMagician said:
I should check all of the content first, but I could have sworn the whole point of splitting the campaigns are to have around 30 missions or so for each campaign.  Either the 20 missions will be quite a bit longer, there will be 20 main missions with side missions, or they better not attempt to sell the game for full retail price as that literally sounds like 2 thirds of the single-player experience that a good portion of the StarCraft audience only cares for.
they're not selling it at full retail price, and not putting 30 missions in either, from the sounds of things.
#5 Posted by blaze503 (189 posts) -

i prefer they spend more time balancing the new multiplayer elements, more campaign missions would be nice but it isn't the focus of the game.

#6 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

It is strange considering they didn't want to make expansions originally, but 3 equal games. I guess they must have had a change of heart? The game doesn't sound finished yet though, so maybe it'll pull an ODST and go from an expansion to a full retail game.

#7 Posted by TermlessHalo (87 posts) -
@onimonkii said:
@ShiftyMagician said:
they're not selling it at full retail price, and not putting 30 missions in either, from the sounds of things.
I hope they don't charge that much for the expansion. But it still sucks they won't be putting the 30 missions in Heart of The Swarm. I kinda agree with blaze503 post: i prefer they spend more time balancing the new multiplayer elements, more campaign missions would be nice but it isn't the focus of the game.
#8 Posted by Marz (5649 posts) -

expansion will probably be 40$.  Same as WoW expansions.

#9 Posted by onimonkii (2434 posts) -
@termlesshalo said:
@onimonkii said:
@ShiftyMagician said:
I hope they don't charge that much for the expansion. But it still sucks they won't be putting the 30 missions in Heart of The Swarm. I kinda agree with blaze503 post: i prefer they spend more time balancing the new multiplayer elements, more campaign missions would be nice but it isn't the focus of the game.
why get so attached to this arbitrary number and then get disappointed when they might not meet it based on the first shred of info you've actually heard about the game?

if you don't go back and do both sides of every branching path, and don't find the hidden mission, there's only 25 missions in wings of liberty, and that's counting 4 protoss missions. assuming heart of the swarm doesn't have something like a protoss section, that's about even with the terran portion of wings of liberty.

shaky justification aside, i think it's far too early to get worked up about how many missions might be in an expansion.
#10 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -
@termlesshalo said:
@onimonkii said:
@ShiftyMagician said:
That is definitely fair enough for people valuing the multi-player aspect of the game more than the single-player.  I will still be bummed a bit, as I wanted to play a full 30-mission campaign with the other two races as I hardly care for Terran personally (more the latter than the former).
#11 Posted by TermlessHalo (87 posts) -
@onimonkii said:
@termlesshalo said:
@onimonkii said:
@ShiftyMagician said:
why get so attached to this arbitrary number and then get disappointed when they might not meet it based on the first shred of info you've actually heard about the game?  if you don't go back and do both sides of every branching path, and don't find the hidden mission, there's only 25 missions in wings of liberty, and that's counting 4 protoss missions. assuming heart of the swarm doesn't have something like a protoss section, that's about even with the terran portion of wings of liberty.  shaky justification aside, i think it's far too early to get worked up about how many missions might be in an expansion.
Yeah your right. It was too early to judge this game until we get more info about it. But still how much would it cost? $40 like Marz said?
#12 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -
@termlesshalo said:
@onimonkii said:
@termlesshalo said:
@onimonkii said:
@ShiftyMagician said:
why get so attached to this arbitrary number and then get disappointed when they might not meet it based on the first shred of info you've actually heard about the game?  if you don't go back and do both sides of every branching path, and don't find the hidden mission, there's only 25 missions in wings of liberty, and that's counting 4 protoss missions. assuming heart of the swarm doesn't have something like a protoss section, that's about even with the terran portion of wings of liberty.  shaky justification aside, i think it's far too early to get worked up about how many missions might be in an expansion.
Yeah your right. It was too early to judge this game until we get more info about it. But still how much would it cost? $40 like Marz said?
Since they are calling it an expansion at the current time, it should be expected to sell for around $40US in general I believe.
#13 Posted by NoRemnants (378 posts) -

It will be $40 just like every other Blizzard expansion ever released. They have never said that each part would be a completely separate game at full retail price. I don't know why people automatically assume that.

#14 Posted by JoxxOr (53 posts) -

Every level is designed in such ways that the development time to make 29 takes much longer time then 20.

#15 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Does anyone know if HoTS will be a standalone expansion?

#16 Posted by rmanthorp (3913 posts) -
@Meteora said:
Staff from the Blizz forums: 
" Yes, you can buy HoTS on its own and you will not need to get WoL in order to play the Zerg campaign independently." 

Great news.
#17 Posted by Obsidian (346 posts) -

Good. Hopefully I won't have to pay another $60 to stay up to date in the multiplayer.

#18 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -

I'm kinda bumed tbh I wanted them to be all equal in SP length... now its looking like the glorious Protoss's expansion wont be as long as the lolterran one :/

I just hope they have a CE like the WoL as that's by far one of the best CE's I've ever come across

#19 Posted by ShockD (2401 posts) -

The good side of this is that we're going to wait less...

#20 Posted by Tennmuerti (8073 posts) -

Remember when there was an uproar that the original game would only have Terran campaign?

#21 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@Tennmuerti said:

Remember when there was an uproar that the original game would only have Terran campaign?

Guy with a Blizzard avatar has a point. Let's keep paying 60 dollars for further diminishing returns! Let's keep pretending Activision has no sway over Blizzard, until Blizzard takes it a step too far then let's put all the blame on Activision. Like we did with Bioware and EA. Anyway, people will quickly be sucking on sweet lemons to rationalize their 60 dollar expansion pack. Publishers do what they can get away with, I can't really blame them for that. Having played Blizzard MP kind of makes me glad those autistic fools are being swindled a bit. They were already prepared to pay 60 to receive MP updates that easily could have been patched in to what's already there.
#22 Posted by Tennmuerti (8073 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
@Tennmuerti said:

Guy with a Blizzard avatar has a point. Let's keep paying 60 dollars for further diminishing returns! Let's keep pretending Activision has no sway over Blizzard, until Blizzard takes it a step too far then let's put all the blame on Activision. Like we did with Bioware and EA. Anyway, people will quickly be sucking on sweet lemons to rationalize their 60 dollar expansion pack. Publishers do what they can get away with, I can't really blame them for that. Having played Blizzard MP kind of makes me glad those autistic fools are being swindled a bit.
Didn't we already do this conversation like a year ago?
About avatar assumptions...

Also last time I checked SC2 was not a diminishing return on value as most people would agree.
We also do not even know if this expansion will be priced $60 or $40 like eery other Blizzard expansion.
As for Bioware, I would say that they are digging their own grave.

And seriously, trying to get a dig at a person by implying company loyalty is kind of petty.
#23 Edited by Zippedbinders (985 posts) -
@ryanwho said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Guy with a Blizzard avatar has a point. Let's keep paying 60 dollars for further diminishing returns! Let's keep pretending Activision has no sway over Blizzard, until Blizzard takes it a step too far then let's put all the blame on Activision. Like we did with Bioware and EA. Anyway, people will quickly be sucking on sweet lemons to rationalize their 60 dollar expansion pack. Publishers do what they can get away with, I can't really blame them for that. Having played Blizzard MP kind of makes me glad those autistic fools are being swindled a bit. They were already prepared to pay 60 to receive MP updates that easily could have been patched in to what's already there.
I dunno, Brad and Dustin kept throwing around the words "expansion pack pricing" like they meant it, its pretty much a given that the game is going to be cheaper, probably in the $40 range.

I'm not sure why you're being so deliberately obtuse about things, maybe we should make assumptions about your avatar. Are you going to buy Street Fighter 4 three times? Did you buy every edition of SF2? How about every single Street Fighter movie? Maybe you have a world class collection of mustaches, monocles, and nude photos of Blanka.
#24 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -
@Zippedbinders said:
I dunno, Brad and Dustin kept throwing around the words "expansion pack pricing" like they meant it, its pretty much a given that the game is going to be cheaper, probably in the $40 range.  I'm not sure why you're being so deliberately obtuse about things, maybe we should make assumptions about your avatar. Are you going to buy Street Fighter 4 three times? Did you buy every edition of SF2? How about every single Street Fighter movie? Maybe you have a world class collection of mustaches, monocles, and nude photos of Blanka.

Wow, I had no idea Ryanwho's avatar was Blanka.  I always thought it was from The Mask.  This.  Changes.  Everything.
#25 Posted by ChristianCastillo (1178 posts) -

Because it's an expansion...

#26 Posted by raiz265 (2238 posts) -
@Rufi91 said:
@Meteora said:
Staff from the Blizz forums: " Yes, you can buy HoTS on its own and you will not need to get WoL in order to play the Zerg campaign independently."  Great news.
" Q: Will Heart of the Swarm require ownership of Wings of Liberty?

A: For the regions that have a standard box business model such as North America and Europe, yes, Wings of Liberty will be required in order to play Heart of the Swarm. For other regions that have alternative access models, we’ll provide details at a later date." 

StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm General FAQ - May 2011 

what now? :|

#27 Posted by blueduck (964 posts) -

Have they said whether or not you will have to buy this to keep playing online multi-player?

#28 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4894 posts) -

I expect $50. The full game was $60, which is $10 more than most PC games, so the expansion will most likely be $10 more than most Blizzard expansions...

#29 Posted by rmanthorp (3913 posts) -
@raiz265 said:
@Rufi91 said:
@Meteora said:
Staff from the Blizz forums: " Yes, you can buy HoTS on its own and you will not need to get WoL in order to play the Zerg campaign independently."  Great news.
" Q: Will Heart of the Swarm require ownership of Wings of Liberty?

A: For the regions that have a standard box business model such as North America and Europe, yes, Wings of Liberty will be required in order to play Heart of the Swarm. For other regions that have alternative access models, we’ll provide details at a later date." 

StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm General FAQ - May 2011 

what now? :|

NOW WE RUN! WE RUN AND WE NEVER LOOK BACK ON THIS MOMENT!
#30 Edited by EthanML (455 posts) -

Let's be honest, even if it was 20 missions for $60, you know it's going to be more enjoyable (and more "fun-per-dollar" if you really want to think that way), than most other games coming out. 

Would it be nice if things where cheaper? Yes. Are we all going to buy this game regardless because SC2 is ridiculously awesome? Yes.

#31 Posted by csl316 (8471 posts) -
@EthanML said:
Let's be honest, even if it was 20 missions for $60, you know it's going to be more enjoyable (and more "fun-per-dollar" if you really want to think that way), than most other games coming out.  Would it be nice if things where cheaper? Yes. Are we all going to buy this game regardless because SC2 is ridiculously awesome? Yes.
I was just about to say the same exact thing.  And if you're on this board already, you'll probably be getting this anyway.

If it does come out cheaper than WoL, then 20 missions is gonna be more than enough content.  Especially if they make the campaign as fantastic as the first chapter.  Let's just hope they come through on the story this time.
#32 Posted by Cataphract1014 (1313 posts) -

They have said multiple times in interviews from the event that HoTS would be expansion priced.  Every WoW expansion was $40.  I see no reason why HoTS would be different.

They said it will get the Frozen Throne treatment.  Less full CG cutscense and a few less missions.  SC2 had a bunch of missions that had nothing to do with the overall story arc, so it could have easily only been 20.  Could you imagine Kerrigan stopping to help Dr. Hanson get her people off the planet?

#33 Posted by Rayeth (1035 posts) -

Also from the interviews I have heard here and on other sites, it sounds like they will not be having as many (or perhaps any at all) of the choose one or the other objective style of mission. 

Cutting out those "extra" missions (where you get 2 different missions on the same map) reduces WoL to like 26 or 25 missions already, so, eh. 

Doesn't really matter though, what is interesting will be what happens to the multiplayer.

#34 Posted by Enigma777 (6071 posts) -

Even if it was $60, all of you would still buy it. You know you will. Just submit. Resistance is futile! 

#35 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@EthanML said:
Let's be honest, even if it was 20 missions for $60, you know it's going to be more enjoyable (and more "fun-per-dollar" if you really want to think that way), than most other games coming out.  Would it be nice if things where cheaper? Yes. Are we all going to buy this game regardless because SC2 is ridiculously awesome? Yes.
And Blizzard knows that. So don't be surprised when the returns keep diminishing. Activision will keep pushing to see what they can get away with, and with Blizzard fans they can get a way with a lot.
#36 Posted by oniring (16 posts) -
#37 Posted by BrainSpecialist (554 posts) -

Oh no, less Starcraft content. I might have to go get laid again.

#38 Posted by TermlessHalo (87 posts) -
#39 Posted by oniring (16 posts) -
@termlesshalo said:
@oniring said:
@termlesshalo said:
Why 20? I don't understand why it had to be 20 missions instead of 29 missions like in Wings of Liberty.  Also what does this mean for price for the expansion?
Are you trolling? Watch the video at the end of the page: http://www.giantbomb.com/starcraft-ii-heart-of-the-swarm/61-24078/plunging-into-the-heart-of-starcraft-iis-zerg-swarm/35-498336/#114
I'm not trolling at all. I just find it hard to believe it thats all.
He clearly says its more of an expansion pack in terms of the content and the pricing; Yes it sucks that there will be 10-ish less levels but your also not paying full retail price.
#40 Posted by TermlessHalo (87 posts) -
@oniring said:
@termlesshalo said:
@oniring said:
@termlesshalo said:
Are you trolling? Watch the video at the end of the page: http://www.giantbomb.com/starcraft-ii-heart-of-the-swarm/61-24078/plunging-into-the-heart-of-starcraft-iis-zerg-swarm/35-498336/#114
He clearly says its more of an expansion pack in terms of the content and the pricing; Yes it sucks that there will be 10-ish less levels but your also not paying full retail price.
Yeah I understand now. And plus that might do a collectors edition for Heart of The Swarm.
#41 Posted by Cataphract1014 (1313 posts) -
@termlesshalo said:
@oniring said:
@termlesshalo said:
@oniring said:
@termlesshalo said:
Yeah I understand now. And plus that might do a collectors edition for Heart of The Swarm.
There will be a collectors.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.