Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

A bit to safe?

Mikael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Mikael

So with Blizzard really playing it safe not changing the gameplay much at all, is that good or bad? I personally like it, I always felt that the original was fine besides some few minor things (which seems to be taken care of). The changes to the single player seems really interesting and I hope they do something really good with Battle.net.

So what do you think? Are they playing a bit to safe?

tec3297

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By tec3297

Not at all

noremnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By noremnants

Blizz goes by the philosophy of "If it aint broke don't fix it". They don't like to try crazy new ideas a whole lot but they do perfect existing ideas.

tovan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By tovan

There really isn't much reason to change the mechanics, it works fine the way it is and people love it. Changing it would just cause more problems, just look at the Diablo 3 change in art style.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By giyanks22

Blizzard is really an ingenious developer. They look at all these developers who are constantly updating the sequels with more unnecessary crap... cough...Bungie...Halo 3...Forge Mode...Cough..., but instead Blizzards says" Wait this is probably one of if not the best RTS ever...why should we change anything that people loved, and still love today. It really is going to be an incredible game.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6  Edited By Termite

Yeah, a bit too safe in my opinion but Blizzard isn't known anymore as a big groundbreaking company

DarkLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By DarkLegend

Very safe, the original were solid.

scamp115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By scamp115

After having had a chance to play the game at the Blizzard World Wide Invitational, I would have to say that playing it safe is a bad thing. The game felt so similar to the first one that they might as well have called it Starcraft: Face-Lift Edition. I still love the first one, and I agree whole heartedly that it is essentially perfect. I just personally feel that Blizzard needs to wake up to the developments in the RTS genre over the last 10 years. I think the best example is of shifting focus off of base building. Company of Heroes and even Battle for Middle Earth are great examples of games that reward the player for map control and not base building. The weird thing is that Blizzards seems to be trying to shoehorn that stuff into Starcraft II, while retaining the old mineral and vespene gas collection. By that I mean they have made it so that Vespene geisers deplete insanely fast, forcing the player to expand to other geisers. I understand how a radical shift would annoy many players, but I would love to see a new Starcraft that doesn't feel 10 years old. If you want that play the original, it still has legs even after 10 years.

Wow that was insanely long winded, for that I apologize.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By adoggz

nope, they did great. well unless you're kotaku.

whoever did this is a bad person.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By imsh_pl

How could they try to fix a perfect RTS?

SC II has the most fun multiplayer I've ever experienced, so what if it's not innovative.

Something uninnovative is bad only if it's repetitive.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.