Any way I can play on US servers?

#1 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

Alright, little bit of a 'cool story bro' to come , but i need a little bit of advice reference SC2  

I live in the UK (England to be precise) and I ADORE star-craft however I have an issue.
I want to buy and play star-craft 2 so damn badly, and I could quite easily walk down to the store and get it now if i so chose - however i want to play with my Giant Bomb friends  and others who will be playing on the North America servers. 

As far as I am aware all RETAIL copies sold over here are going to be auto set to connect to the EU servers, as such i don't want to do this - i have now got 3 options :-  

•  Order it from Amazon.com or suchlike - i really wanted the collectors edition and this is the only way to get an NA version, however all thats on there now are 'sell on' copies and they are PRICEY!! plus import fees and a long wait

• I've created a US battle.net account and it believes i am currently living over there - If I Digitally Purchase the game from Blizzards Battle.Net store, then it should work, I'm currently downloading the US client now in advance to paying for it, which i'm not sure how it will handle (maybe paypal)  - only downside is that this wont be linked to my MAIN already active blizz account - and price conversion may suck.

• I have already had my main blizz EU account since star craft 1 and warcraft 3 - maybe buying it Digitally and tying it to my EU account may work? Upon selecting to buy the game digitally a prompt appears asking which region you would like ot play on - it IS possible to select North America from the list on my EU account, however upon clicking continue a warning appears stating that...

Game Region Warning

Retail copies sold in United Kingdom (your account country) will connect to the Europe game region."  

Now im guessing this doesn't account for my Digital copy as it mentions Retail - however the fact this appears whilst purchasing my Digital copy unnerves me, this would be my proffered method (other than the CE) as in i get to keep my account, my games al in one etc. However i don;t want to end up paying for the EU digi version and not being able to play with my friends that i could if i went another route! 

Any advice? thoughts on options here? anyone else in the same situation or already tried one of my options? 

Cheers in advance!!
#2 Posted by Forcen (1830 posts) -

Blizzard has said that they will implement cross region play later on.

Getting people online, playing and interacting is obviously the overall goal for the Battle.net platform, and that includes allowing people to play across regional boundaries as they have in the past.

Unfortunately, there are a multitude of challenges we have to overcome due to the unique regional account and billing options that didn’t exist in the past. But those hurdles aren’t insurmountable, and we are looking into solutions that will allow interested players to obtain access to other regional versions without having to buy another full copy of the game. Those solutions are something we’re currently planning to have available through Battle.net Account Management within the first few months of StarCraft II’s release.

Before that solution is implemented though, you’re correct in that you’d need to purchase a US copy of the game on launch day to play in the US region.

http://starcraft.incgamers.com/blog/comments/bashiok-clarifying-over-cross-region-play/

So just buy the game and wait until they implement something, thats what I'm gonna do.
#3 Posted by Kazona (3070 posts) -

Just a suggestion: Have you tried e-mailing Blizzard support about this? 

Also, as far as I know, people managed to "hack" WoW in such a way that an EU retail copy could connect to US servers. I'm sure that eventually someone would figure out something similar for Starcraft 2.  

P.S. I'm using the term hack loosely since it only required changing a line in a text file from what I remember.

#4 Posted by Fallen189 (5025 posts) -

Monthly fees.

#5 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Give it time.  It'll come.

#6 Posted by Tennmuerti (8123 posts) -

Yeah I'm kind of in the same boat, have the EU version as well.
Hopefully they will not take too long to implement cross region play.

#7 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -
@Forcen said:
" Blizzard has said that they will implement cross region play later on.

Getting people online, playing and interacting is obviously the overall goal for the Battle.net platform, and that includes allowing people to play across regional boundaries as they have in the past.

Unfortunately, there are a multitude of challenges we have to overcome due to the unique regional account and billing options that didn’t exist in the past. But those hurdles aren’t insurmountable, and we are looking into solutions that will allow interested players to obtain access to other regional versions without having to buy another full copy of the game. Those solutions are something we’re currently planning to have available through Battle.net Account Management within the first few months of StarCraft II’s release.

Before that solution is implemented though, you’re correct in that you’d need to purchase a US copy of the game on launch day to play in the US region.

http://starcraft.incgamers.com/blog/comments/bashiok-clarifying-over-cross-region-play/ So just buy the game and wait until they implement something, thats what I'm gonna do. "
Snap! i had no idea  - I missed that statement there, guess thats the problem with following news through TL- mostly bad news amplified! 

@KaosAngel said:
" Give it time.  It'll come. "
God i hope so! 

Alright cheers for the replies gentlemen! Imma just go get the CE for the EU version and then hope Blizz get it sorted sooner rather then later 
Plus it means i can get buffed up and all my losses out the way early before stomping my cousins across the water xD
#8 Posted by JackPack (25 posts) -
@KaosAngel:  Why not have it now?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.