Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Anyone bought this off Battle.net?

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By triple07

So I was thinking of picking this up from Battle.net, the problem is that right now the only computer I have access to is my Macbook which while very nice is not the ideal gaming machine. So i was wondering if I download the Mac version right now can I also download a Windows version if I get a new PC? Or even another Mac version if I end up getting a more powerful Mac? I downloaded a Mac version of Warcraft 3 as I still had the key from when I originally bought the Windows version and was wondering if Starcraft 2 worked the same way.  Can anyone shed some light on this? I couldn't find anything on Battle.net about it so I figured I'd see if the Giantbomb community could help me.

harmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By harmonic

Yeah, after you buy Starcraft 2 (in store or on bnet) you can download it for either OS as many times as you like.

Carbon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Carbon

Think of it as paying to activate the game on your account. The client doesn't matter. You can install from disks, from the Blizzard download, or even from "other" sources, and just log in with your account that you bought the game on. You can even log in on another computer that has the client installed and it'll load in your custom hotkeys, campaign saves, and other things from Blizzard's cloud. So, basically, Windows/Mac doesn't matter because as long as the computer has SC2 installed, your account is what lets you play.

Edit: Since you mentioned Warcraft 3, I'll make this a bit clearer. In WC3, your CD key was tied to the installation of the game; the actual client. You made an online account that was not tied to your key, but only one person could be online at a time per CD key. In SC2, your key is tied to your account, and the client is free for anyone to download and install. Think of it like WoW. You don't need a key to install it, you just need an active account (not that there's a subscription fee for SC2). This means you only get one online account, but you don't need an "activated" client.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By triple07

Sweet thanks guys looks like I'm gonna go buy ti.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By csl316

Being away from PC games, it blew my mind that I didn't need the disc and could install it on different computers (last PC game I played was Warcraft 3).  As mentioned, you're basically paying for the account.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By WickedCestus

Yeah, what they all said. It is really awesome, and in my opinion probably the best form of PC DRM that has been tried so far. 

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Thule

Keep in mind that if you do buy digitally, it'll take a couple of days where your order is "queued" meaning that Blizzard needs to verify payment until you can actually use it. It took my purchase about two days to get activated.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Marz

Yes i bought my copy from the blizzard store on day 1,  it works very well and i didn't have problems.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.