Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

anyone else quit cuz of the points system?

• 52 results
    tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tunaburn

so i made it to gold league. was doing good as protoss. 50% win. 
    then i took a break for a while and now ive lost 8 in a row.
    so i havent touched it in 2 weeks. i feel like losing over and over just isnt fun.
    i know this is a horrible idea to some but games where theres no penalty for losing. just no gain for it either keep me going longer.
    if i didnt lose points for losing. but only gained points for winning the brackets would still be about the same probably.
    but at least after playing an hour straight in a long game then losing, i wouldnt also then see the fact that i just lost points and dropped rank.
    give me 0 points for a loss not negative.
    anyone else at all feel like this?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Turambar

If the ladder didn't mean anything as far as the competitive scene goes, I wouldn't care either way.  But considering Blizzard uses the ladder rankings to decide who to invite to their own tournaments, having a system that skews even more heavily towards whoever just has the most time to ladder is pretty silly.  Also the system you're suggesting would make getting into Grand Masters league even more impossible than it already is.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ryanwho

I feel like if you're constantly losing, you should go down a rank so you're playing people more your level. You can't be in the top tier and also kind of suck at the game, dude. The tier system was made for people like you so you wouldn't constantly be stuck playing against people who are waaaay better than you.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NickL

No points for losing means the player that plays the most is the highest rated, not the player that has more skill.
    They already took away win/loss ratio for an ego boost, don't make them take away the only other way of comparing 2 ladder players.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By LordXavierBritish

This is the reason I will never play StarCraft II ever.

$50 well spent.

tyashki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tyashki

Its not like you can't infer details. I have the same amount of points as people with twice the amount of wins as me. I don't need to see losses to know I have a better w/l ratio than them.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tunaburn
    @Tyashki said:
    Its not like you can't infer details. I have the same amount of points as people with twice the amount of wins as me. I don't need to see losses to know I have a better w/l ratio than them.
    exactly taking the win loss away did nothing. if i won 50 games and he won 110 games but we have the same points i know i have a better win loss. 
    i want to play starcraft 2. i find it super fun except i dont like to play a game for half hour just to lose points on it.  maybe if the games were shorter it wouldnt be as bad. but i feel like playing for an hour then losing points was more than a waste of an hour. 

@ryanwho:  im no constantly losing. i was promoted to gold. i won 7 games lost 3.  now i lost 8 in a row for a bad streak. (kept playing when i was angry) but the amount of time it will take to get those points back is crazy. 8 games is like 3 fucking hours. if i dont lose more in between which its super rare to win 8 in a row. so more like 4 or 4 1/2 hours. 
    tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tunaburn
    @CaLe said:
    If you care about losing then Starcraft isn't the game for you.
    i dont care about losing.  i pretty much only play competitive games. i train jiu jitsu and fight in competitions all the time. 
    what i care about is the penalty you get for losing. that penalty totally stops people from trying interesting or new things online. 
    why should i try that new build when the trusty 4 gate wont make me lose points.  
    i say more reward for beating better players. no penalty for losing. just no gain either. 
    more people would be willing to play and try new things.
    SoylentGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By SoylentGreen
    @CaLe said:
    QFT. If you aren't some godlike pro at Starcraft, then you're going to lose a lot. The rankings system is there for competition, not for fun. The two aren't mutually exclusive at all, but the fun comes from losing and then learning from those losses, not winning over and over.

It's definitely not a game for those who don't have a lot of time on their hands, IMO.
    tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tunaburn
    @SoylentGreen:   thats another issue. 
    the way the ranking works you have to play a fucking ton! any other game i can pick up and play. if i lose then sure i dont gain anything but the game 
    doesnt penalize me for it.  everyone keeps saying if they didnt take points for losing it would be whoever plays the most that is high ranked instead of skill. 
    but its already basically that anyways!!
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By imsh_pl
    @tunaburn
    1.Blizzard removes negative points for losses
    2.Everyone 6pools every game; if it fails they don't get penalized, if it works they gain points
    3.Even if a person wins only one fourth of the games they play they still get more points than a guy who won a standard 10 minute game.

Oh yeah, that's a fucking brilliant idea.
    tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By tunaburn
    @imsh_pl: i dont think so. because i think most people will be able to stop a 6 pool. then they will never get any points. and the person that beat them will get points of course.

@CaLe
    i wish i could. i always tell myself who cares if i lose points. but it just ends up feeling like a  waste of time.  
    but i guess thats all video games really are. big wastes of time. so...... point taken
    frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By frankxiv

you used to lose those points from the 8 wins in like 2 games lost. you learn not to care about points.

or if you care that much, take a break, play some customs, and come back when you have a bonus pool built up.  or just always only play when you have a bonus pool.

you're not actually getting better, but you're getting more points per win that way, so you can feel like it or whatever your deal is.

that's my issue with it, winning doesn't = improving.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By tunaburn
    @onimonkii:  i understand the points dont mean anything. its just i know im not a pro. i dont have much time to play. so the few games i play i dont want to feel penalized if i lose.
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By thehexeditor
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    This is the reason I will never play StarCraft II ever.  $50 well spent.
    I bought it for the campaign and the AI comp stomps which are pretty fun.
    soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By soldierg654342
    @tunaburn said:
    @CaLe said:
    i dont care about losing.  i pretty much only play competitive games. i train jiu jitsu and fight in competitions all the time. what i care about is the penalty you get for losing. that penalty totally stops people from trying interesting or new things online. why should i try that new build when the trusty 4 gate wont make me lose points.  i say more reward for beating better players. no penalty for losing. just no gain either. more people would be willing to play and try new things.
    Well there's your problem right there; You want people to try new things in a competitive online game.
    tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tunaburn
    @SoldierG654342:   touche......
    blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By blueduck
    @tunaburn said:
    . but i feel like playing for an hour then losing points was more than a waste of an hour. 

If you feel like playing this game for an hour is a waste of time then you don't really like this game. If you lose you should lose points, learn to play better and stop crying.
    tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tunaburn
    @blueduck:  i do like the game.  i dont like being penalized for losing a match  because i wanted to try something different and i get 4 gated again.   
    ive found myself playing league of legends a lot more now because even if i get my ass kicked. at least at the end i dont also then get my experience taken away.
    also dont be a dick
    blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By blueduck
    @tunaburn said:
    @blueduck:  i do like the game.  i dont like being penalized for losing a match  because i wanted to try something different and i get 4 gated again.   ive found myself playing league of legends a lot more now because even if i get my ass kicked. at least at the end i dont also then get my experience taken away.also dont be a dick
    Your strategy didn't work. You lost and because of that you lost points. If you want to try a new thing out play against pcs, which is what I do. I am also in Gold league and what I would never do is take a new idea I had and automatically try it out in ranked. By the way that's what it's called ranked! so if you don't want to be ranked based on your skill then don't play in it.  
    @tunaburn
    said:
       ive found myself playing league of legends a lot more now because even if i get my ass kicked. at least at the end i dont also then get my experience taken away.
    Here again you say that your fun is based on rewards you received or didn't lose. I lose all the time but I still play and I still have fun because I actually like the game not just winning.
    jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By jimi

They more or less removed the penalty for losing in WoW arena, it sure worked out great for that game! 

Oh wait nobody does arena any more.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tunaburn
    @blueduck:  dude you cant try new strategies on the computer. the computer sucks and in no way plays like a real person. so dont give me that shit. 
    you seem to have an anger issue. i disagree with you but will simply say i do. i enjoy the game. i dont enjoy being penalized after losing.  
    you dont mind it good for you.  
    over 3 million copies were sold. but only around 400,000 accounts remain active already. and i think its because of the penalties in the game.  

there is no real way to play against someone without it being ranked. theres no non ranked mode besides custom games which noone does 1 vs 1  
    melee on custom.
    blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By blueduck
    @tunaburn said:
    @blueduck:  dude you cant try new strategies on the computer. the computer sucks and in no way plays like a real person. so dont give me that shit. you seem to have an anger issue. i disagree with you but will simply say i do. i enjoy the game. i dont enjoy being penalized after losing.  you dont mind it good for you.  over 3 million copies were sold. but only around 400,000 accounts remain active already. and i think its because of the penalties in the game.  there is no real way to play against someone without it being ranked. theres no non ranked mode besides custom games which noone does 1 vs 1  melee on custom.
    I'm sorry, I was typing pretty angry there for a bit.  
    Well let's see you've stated before in this thread that you've lost before, something like 7 wins and 3 loses before you took your break. Which is an interesting fact because I'm pretty sure those 3 loses would have lost you points, did you feel like it was a waste then?  
    So here we are you've lost something like 8 in a row and this is what causes you to think about quiting, looks to me that you just don't like losing. The truth is you took a break and people got better and now you're mad because you'll have to work your way back up and learn new things. 
    I don't really even understand what your complaining about really. If the game was using the system you're talking about you would still have lost rank since people would have climbed ahead of you over your break. The same skill level increases would have happened and you would have lost the same amount of games. So Unless this whole thread is about how you don't like the physical act of your numbers going down then I'm pretty sure you just don't like losing.
    Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Ben_H

Points mean nothing.  Keep that in mind.  I have no idea where I stand in any of my divisions.  Improving is based on playing the game, not worrying about points.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By blueduck
    @Ben_H said:
    Points mean nothing.  Keep that in mind.  I have no idea where I stand in any of my divisions.  Improving is based on playing the game, not worrying about points.
    This.
    tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By tunaburn
    @blueduck:  the only thing im saying is i do not like being penalized for losing. i already lost why rub it in by taking points or experience or whatever from me.  
    i just dont like looking at the after game score and seeing that not only did i play for 45 minutes to lose, i then also lose points. i guess it doesnt matter since  
    its only your invisible MRR that matters but its still annoying. 
    of course i hate losing by the way. noone likes that.  but ive played hundreds and hundreds of games online between all the games i own. 
    this is the only one that penalizes you for losing and i think its driving away people.
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By imsh_pl
    @tunaburn said:
    @blueduck:  the only thing im saying is i do not like being penalized for losing. i already lost why rub it in by taking points or experience or whatever from me.  i just dont like looking at the after game score and seeing that not only did i play for 45 minutes to lose, i then also lose points. i guess it doesnt matter since  its only your invisible MRR that matters but its still annoying. of course i hate losing by the way. noone likes that.  but ive played hundreds and hundreds of games online between all the games i own. this is the only one that penalizes you for losing and i think its driving away people.
    You don't like being penalized for losing, yet you do like getting points for winning.

Why can't you try out new builds in 1v1 non-ranked games? If you then feel that you're ready with a new strategy you can just try it out on ladder.

Also the game shouldn't reward you for 'being creative' and 'trying out new strategies'; this is a competitive game, you play to win.If you don't play to win then I don't see why losing rank points is a problem. 

And getting demoted means that the game is adjusting your opponents to match your current skill level.
    tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By tunaburn
    @imsh_pl:  how do you do 1 vs 1 non ranked........ there is noone doing those in custom games. theres no option for non ranked 1 vs 1
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By imsh_pl
    @tunaburn said:
    @imsh_pl:  how do you do 1 vs 1 non ranked........ there is noone doing those in custom games. theres no option for non ranked 1 vs 1
    There are tons of people playing 1v1 custom games for practice.
    tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By tunaburn
    @imsh_pl:  ive never seen one. i will go check when i get home for that.   
    but my point still stands. there are lots of competitive games that dont punish you for losing. 
    but im done arguing my point. good day sir.
    elbon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By elbon
    frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By frankxiv
    @tunaburn said:

@imsh_pl:  ive never seen one. i will go check when i get home for that.   but my point still stands. there are lots of competitive games that dont punish you for losing. but im done arguing my point. good day sir.

i don't think your point holds up at all, because you can't tell the difference between a rank system and a persistent levelling/experience system. losing rank isn't a punishment, it's just how the system works.

think of like, call of duty: black ops. you win or you lose, whatever, it doesn't matter. either way the things you do feed points into an experience system. you can't LOSE that experience because it ultimately doesn't mean anything.

then look at like super street fighter 4. you win, you gain points based on the level of your opponent, and can rank up. you lose and you can lose those same points, because it RANKS you against other players.

another good example within the same game is mortal kombat. in RANKED fights, you win, you move up in RANK, you lose, you stagnate and get passed up, or move down in RANK. in king of the hill however, you win, people can give you respect points that accumulate, but if you lose, you get nothing, and lose nothing.

like everyone else is saying, if you don't want to lose rank, don't play ranked and lose. it's unavoidable. custom games are much better if you just want to play against someone and not lose anything, but at the same time, you could be in gold playing a masters player and doing nothing BUT losing, because there's no way to RANK you two against each other and put you against people closer to your skill level.
    Frostler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By Frostler

Not that big of a deal, losing will drop you like 8 points, winning (with big bonus pool since you've been gone a while) will boost you 20-30 points a game. Just hitting a small winning streak will catch you up. Plus if you suck that bad soon you'll go down a league and play against players your own skill.

ReLoaDeD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ReLoaDeD

This isn't really on topic but this argument is hilarious to read. Tuna everyone is giving you the points you are looking for and stating why the "no penalization" idea is bad, yet you don't accept them. You say that you don't think you should be penalized for being worse than the other player, I say that this tells you that you need to work harder. 

Also if you really can't find 1v1 non ladder games just ask for someone to practice against on the forum, everyone's b.net ids are posted. Good day sir!

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NickL
    @Tyashki said:
    That's not exactly true... keep in mind that you lose points every time you have been promoted, so for all you know that guy in platinum with 200 points and 70 wins could actually have a record of 70-2 if he came from bronze or something like that.
    eldiax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By eldiax

You need to change your way of thinking. I'm going to quote some dude on the TL forums:  

"Consider ladder points a currency - You earn them by beating worse players, teaching them a lesson. You then use them to pay better players to beat you, so that you may increase your skill."

keris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By keris
    @tunaburn: As others have stated, you have a problem making a distinction between experience points and ranking points. It's not like you gain a certain number of points and then you get put into the next league. From what I understand those points just place you in rankings in your division. 

But that's all besides the point. I don't think you find Starcraft 2 fun at all. If you found it fun, that 45 minutes spent on a losing game would still be rewarding. That losing experience would have shown you that there are holes in your strategy that need plugging. The fun should have been finding a new way to improve and using that knowledge in subsequent matches. If that's not fun for you, then Starcraft 2 isn't fun for you.

Oh and if you're just pulling builds out of your ass right when you feel like it, then I don't think you actually have any experience with competition. Now, I don't have any experience with jiu jitsu, but I'm going to guess that you don't willy nilly up and decide to try an arm bar in the middle of a competition match. Fuck no, I'm guessing that before that competition, you've spent weeks if not months or years, drilling the exact timing and positioning to actually be able to pull off that arm bar. Probably spent those weeks figuring out which ways it could be avoided or countered as well. If you're not willing to invest that time for Starcraft 2 ranked match, then I don't think you like competitive Starcraft 2 all that much.

And I'll bet that the first time you ever tried to attempt that arm bar was outside of a competition setting. That's kind of where practicing against the computer comes into play. The computer allows a low stress environment to perfect a build, getting the timings right and making sure you can put up sufficient defense against what may come. That 45 minute loss should make you think, "Gee, I need to spend at least as much time in the lab getting this build off the ground." If you think that's too much work, then yeah, Starcraft 2 doesn't seem to be fun for you. 

Bottom line, you aren't playing Starcraft 2. You're playing the meta game where you make some numbers go up.
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By WickedCestus

At the point I'm at, I get over 30 points for a win, and only lose 8 or so for a loss, so it's really easy to consistently be moving up in score. If you want to quit because of the points, go ahead and quit; no one's stopping you. It's not like if you quit you will never be able to come back and play again; you could just quit for a couple weeks if you are sick of it.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tunaburn
    @supermike6:  you only get 30 points for a win if you havent played in a long time so you have bonus pool. also this is not the type of game you can quit for a while and come back to. 
    at least not without getting destroyed back down a league or two.
    but anyways. i made my point and everyone made theres. im stickin with some league of legends. ill do team games on starcraft 2 occassionally but thats it.
    RedShanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By RedShanks

Huh? What?  

notsureifserious.jpg

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By lord_canti

i was in the hole of the bronze league  i win i get one point i loose i loose 50 i fall from top of the league to the bottom 

Midjet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Midjet

I seriously think this is a case of the player not understanding how matchmaking works, your league is almost irrelevant, your MMR is what is important. Bottomline is, you don't like being penalized because other people in your diviision, or the other people you're playing against, are better than you. 

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By endless_void

You won't league up if you aren't good enough to get to the following league. The matchmaking system works great.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By Ben_H
    @endless_void said:
    You won't league up if you aren't good enough to get to the following league. The matchmaking system works great.
    This.  As much as I hate it, it is right.
    Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Rahf

Lose points or don't lose points, wouldn't the progression versus stagnation for people on the ladder still be the same?   

I have a full understanding why people who can spend hours upon hours on the ladder fare better than the casuals. It's like comparing two white collar workers who work the same position in a company. The one who spends the most time learning, internalizing, progressing and ultimately devoting time and energy into his craft will inevitably come out ahead of the other.  You cannot expect yourself to be at the top of the pyramid if you don't dedicate as much energy as the people on top do, those are unrealistic expectations. One I often attribute to younger people.

The argument that not losing points would somehow create a stronger, more solid player-base feels naïve. If you find yourself losing over and over, it's time to take a step back and analyze what is going wrong, just like a professional in any competitive field would.

baldgye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#46  Edited By baldgye

skill wise the ladder dosn't really mean anything... but no I've never given up on the ladder becasue of points... I just prefer playing in custom games 1v1 vs people I know who are either at my skill level or above it.

Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Obsidian

If you're that worried about losing ladder points, avoid it. Playing custom games is a great way of getting back into the game after a long break or if you want to try out a new build.

Avatar image for chubbaluphigous
    Chubbaluphigous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By Chubbaluphigous

Why is your reason for playing so ladder based.  Playing for a nonsense numerical prize seems silly to me when there is so much more to SC2.  I play all the time, though I don't go on the ladder that much.  I play lots of games against friends and other people from private channels.  Blizzard has me stuck in bronze with seemingly no way out, no matter how many games I win(I have seriously gone on retarded long winning streaks, and I just got bored of grinding out games in bronze for no real gain.)  The ladder is just one part of the online.

You can play custom games until you feel you are up to speed, and then hit the ladder again if the ladder is that important.  Note that the bigger your bonus pool the more likely you will get a match that your opponent is favored(favored has nothing to do with MMR), so you will get 40 or so points for a win.  

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By ajamafalous
    @tunaburn said:
    if i didnt lose points for losing. but only gained points for winning the brackets would still be about the same probably.
    No they wouldn't. Then a total scrub could just grind away games getting lucky wins and be above you in the brackets. That's the whole point of losing points when you lose.
    Kamisaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Kamisaki

I love that I lose points when I lose.  It means I get ranked against less skilled players if I lose a lot, so that I'm not losing constantly.  I had a similar experience to the OP, in that I took a break from playing for a while, and when I came back, guess what, I sucked!  I wasn't nearly as good as I was before I took the break, so I got creamed!  I lost like 10 games in a row.  But  as I was losing, I was also getting back into practice, and at the same time getting ranked against less skilled players.  Eventually I stabilized again, and now I win about half my matches, just like it should be.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.