Anyone here runs Starcraft 2 in a Mac Mini?

#1 Edited by Spectreman (232 posts) -

I purchased the new Mac Mini, but Starcraft 2 runs slow, with very weird colors, even in low settings. I will keep my old and good PC but would be nice if I can play in the Mac Mini too. I hoped that the 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor could compensate for the lack of good graphic card, but the integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000 seems too much inadequate. 

If you going to use a mac mini to play games, buy the most expensive version, with Radeon HD 6630M graphic card. Although I don´t know if is enough to play well.

#2 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

I still generally think that Intel integrated is completely useless. Mind you, I have a GMA950 and also an X3100. I hear 4 series was an improvement, but still.

#3 Posted by Ben_H (3336 posts) -

You should be able to run it on low fine (Like bottomed out settings wise but at 60 FPS or at 30FPS on medium).  If I can run it on my year old MacBook Pro, which is theoretically slower, then you should be fine.  Though I did hear the HD3000 Intel stuff was a step down from the Nvidia 320M in Macbooks and Mac Minis of last year.  Be sure to have vsync, textures (especially terrain) and effects on low.  A big one to make sure is turned off is 3D unit portraits, which shockingly takes a lot to have running.  Do keep in mind it looks completely different on low compared to what you normally see on streams, which is usually high or ultra.

#4 Posted by Joru (311 posts) -

I can run it on a laptop that has an i5 (not a low voltage one) and Intel HD Graphics 3000. It Runs on 1366x768 resolution at low settings at 60 fps. I haven't tried, but you might get a playable framerate if you set shaders to medium and at that point the game would look really good (the difference in increasing the other settings is not as immediately apparent).

#5 Posted by AndrewB (7568 posts) -

If anything it would be the Intel integrated graphics. Starcraft 2 runs fine on low settings with medium textures on my Macbook "Pro" (the decidedly not pro 13" unibody original with a 9400m). I have a last generation, slower processor, but probably significantly more RAM (though running at slower speeds). The RAM shouldn't make the difference, so it's the Intel integrated.

#6 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

i'm surprized it runs at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.