Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Austraila gets (limited) region choice

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By shiftymagician

Source: Kotaku - Starcraft 2 will not be region-locked in Australia

This is wonderful news for me at least, as well as a few other countries around us as well.  Now we are open to playing with any Americans willing to play with us and can stand a little delay in connections, just for the sake of playing internationally and for fun.

However, I wonder how the other regions feel about this new announcement?  What are your opinions of this news Giant Bomb?  

(Note that I am also skeptical that all this region-locking will be permanent a few months down the road after the release.  I think they just want to keep import purchases to a minimum at least for the first month or two of sales, but that is just a wild guess.)

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By NoXious

I find it ridiculous, just unlock it for everyone! I wont be able to join the GiantBomb TNT of StarCraft 2 when it hits the shelves because of this. 
    Besides, why demand people stick to a certain gateway? It worked well on the old Battle.NET with choosing your own realm.

newt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By newt

I will not be purchasing SC2 due to the region locks, so it sounds like a good step.

Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Semition

It's a good start. Hopefully everything will be unlocked soon.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By scroll

I'm pretty sure the region lock will be temporary but it's probably to help simplify launch and enough continued complaints will rectify the issue eventually. 

This should only really be a major issue for highly competitive players rather than casual players (like me) who won't mind who's stomping all over them.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6  Edited By KaosAngel
    @ShiftyMagician said:

" (Note that I am also skeptical that all this region-locking will be permanent a few months down the road after the release.  I think they just want to keep import purchases to a minimum at least for the first month or two of sales, but that is just a wild guess.) "

They only region locked it for the lag issues...the beta was hella bad with lag, and I'm guessing all the region locks are in placed to get the lag issue sorted out. 

Fucking Nexus Wars with a full group was  horri-bad in the mid/late game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.