Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Blizzard aren't confident in Starcraft 2?

• 136 results
    phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By phrosnite

Blizzard won't send review copies to the gaming sites which means that there won't be any reviews on 27th and probably in the following couple of days. 
    Don't you find that weird?

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Thrawn1

source?

EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By EnchantedEcho

Yeah, I was rejected for a review copy for my site. Granted my website is small but, it seems like everyone is getting the same treatment?

Avatar image for deactivated-59a5cc20e5213
    deactivated-59a5cc20e5213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

They probably want reviewers to pay for their copy as well?! 

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By phrosnite
    @Thrawn said:

" source? "

I was listening to the hotspot and Kevin said it. Considering that the SP campaign is huge I think we won't see any reviews untill Friday. Most high profile game had reviews days before their release date. Why is Blizzard?
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By shiftymagician

Perhaps they are overly paranoid of letting anyone (whether it is a reviewer or not) play the game before the due date.  The fact that some people got their hands on the game early but unable to play it due to an online date checker that is used in the install, indicates this.

They are probably forcing all reviewers to review it after it releases, which is bad practice really.  This means that any skeptical gamers cannot check a review of the game and would have to wait until reviews come out.  Blizzard may be banking on some of them to break under anticipation, and purchase the game without a few reviews on hand to dictate their decision.  This would help them get bigger "day-1" sales numbers to use in their future marketing efforts.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong
    @BergDK said:
    "

They probably want reviewers to pay for their copy as well?! 

"
    You'd think they could buy a small country by now innit?

I still dislike the fact you're gonna end up paying for 3 games total with the faction split etc (right? :x)
     That said, I don't like RTS games.
    FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By FirePrince

Can't wait for the game. 
    Also,someone has to burn down one of their gold-plated houses so they get the fact that we still want new franchises,or at least Diablo 3.Screw WoW.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By ch13696

What does it matter? If you played the first one already then guess what... same crap except for a few tweaks and graphic upgrade. We all know everyone is going to buy it regardless of a review. However, if you're really need a review then wait till day one and start reading the communities point of views on all the gaming sites. Same thing as a review except... no score. Don't need it.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gunslingerNZ

Considering they've had a very extensive beta I think everyone pretty much knows what the game is about. I guess they figure this game doesn't need the metacritic score to sell the game and they're probably right.

Sadisticham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sadisticham

Doubt there worried. They've yet to have a bad game and the positive beta feedback + the fact it's been in dev for god knows how long probably means they've got stuff how they want it by now.

No doubt it is to stop leaks n such.

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Detrian

More like overconfident. They are just retarded and have super inflated egos so they probably consider they don't even need reviews or media attention.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RVonE
    @Detrian said:
    "More like overconfident. They are just retarded and have super inflated egos so they probably consider they don't even need reviews or media attention. "

Yes, but it's probably true. I mean, South Korea will buy the game so they're guaranteed to sell millions.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Detrian said:
    " More like overconfident. They are just retarded and have super inflated egos so they probably consider they don't even need reviews or media attention. "
    They don't.
    Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Detrian

Oh yeah any site needs a review of SC2 anyway so they'll have to buy it. It still sounds like something retarded and petty of Blizzard.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By VWGTI

They don't need reviews because people will buy the game regardless. Also, the game is pretty damn good.
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By time allen

lol my friend's site got a copy. 

/weird

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18  Edited By KaosAngel

Who ever gives SC2 a score lower than an aggregate of 90%, will get the shit flamed out of them. 

Going on TL, and Kpop Forums...it's pretty much confident that this will be the RTS for the next 10 years.  Reviewers might hit it for being too hard, or "being the same", but in reality...SC2 is the perfect RTS. 

Having been in the beta since March, I can say this (along with GT5) are the only two games I even care about in 2010 and 2011.   

Reviews will mean shit for this game, and whoever gives it a crappy score will get the shit flamed out of them from the entire SC community.   

EDIT:  Some of you might say, "well Kaos you hyped the shit out of Versus XIII", well to that I say Versus XIII is the last one of the FF13 games and Agito comes out 2011...so that means Versus is out in 2012 in Japan.  >.>

Avatar image for computerplayer1
    Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19  Edited By Computerplayer1

Won't make much difference. Aside from still not fixing the voice chat feature (as far as I know) and some corrupt audio files and random crashes for people, they've pretty much gut things nailed down. Almost anyone who is going to buy Starcraft 2 already knows about it, probably already played the beta, and will be buying it on day one and/or week one regardless of reviews.

Hell, they could scrap releasing it in NA and still make a fortune in Korea alone.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By septim

I wonder why games that are virtually guaranteed 90 + Metascores such as this and RDR want to avoid the standard review process...

Maybe it's a piracy thing?

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ArchScabby

It's just that Blizzard doesn't give a fuck.  They know billions of people are going to buy the game, good review or bad review.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Aus_azn
    @ch13696 said:
    " What does it matter? If you played the first one already then guess what... same crap except for a few tweaks and graphic upgrade. We all know everyone is going to buy it regardless of a review. However, if you're really need a review then wait till day one and start reading the communities point of views on all the gaming sites. Same thing as a review except... no score. Don't need it. "
    Pretty much, the only reason I'm picking this up is for the campaign. 

@Detrian:
     They don't, and they'll probably send out review copies afterwards...
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#23  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I doubt this is about Blizzard being unconfident in their product, they probably just want anyone who wishes to review the game to buy a copy.

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Shabs

Do you need a review to know if you want Starcraft 2? 

I'm going to assume that it's Starcraft... again.  

The quality of the single player is irrelevant to my purchasing decision.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By phrosnite
    @Shuborno said:

" Do you need a review to know if you want Starcraft 2? 

I'm going to assume that it's Starcraft... again.   The quality of the single player is irrelevant to my purchasing decision. "

No, I am not buying it but I might win a copy ( really, really slim chance). I'm just curious to see the reviews and most importantly I want this game to flop ^_^ because I'm a 40k fan. Does that make me a bad person?
    Eisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Eisen

They probably don't want the single player leaking out to the public before the game is released.    Many reviewers have a tendency to spoil games.  I've played the beta.  There is nothing to worry about.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TotalEklypse

o wow i have no faith in it either. but yea it is shady to pull that with game reviewers. they are just trying to push up the initial sales of those who cant wait for a review. 

Arjuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Arjuna

Rockstar did this for Red Dead Redemption and it got great reviews.

Arjuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Arjuna

The video game review system is largely corrupt.  Ever see Gamespot or IGN give less than a 50% review?  No?  hmmmmmm....

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By scarace360

we already know this game is good so why care about a review. We know the multiplayer kicks ass so just buy it.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Milkman

It's probably more of a piracy thing. Blizzard is not the company to lack any confidence in their games. 

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Milkman
    @Arjuna said:
    " The video game review system is largely corrupt.  Ever see Gamespot or IGN give less than a 50% review?  No?  hmmmmmm.... "
    Umm...yes? All the damn time. 
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ryanwho

Score seems kind of redundant for this game. Like any score would sway a day one buyer one way or the other. The only thing the score does is make the day one fanboy go "I knew it would be great" or "that review outlet sucks". If your big games don't really gain anything from reviews, why put forth the effort?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@septim said:
    " I wonder why games that are virtually guaranteed 90 + Metascores such as this and RDR want to avoid the standard review process...  Maybe it's a piracy thing? "
    Technically the full game is already out there thanks to the whole preload thing (I think that was a dumb move, but whatever). The reverse engineering dudes probably cracked it weeks ago. In this case, piracy is not to be blamed.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ryanwho
    @atomic_dumpling said:
    " @septim said:
    " I wonder why games that are virtually guaranteed 90 + Metascores such as this and RDR want to avoid the standard review process...  Maybe it's a piracy thing? "
    Technically the full game is already out there thanks to the whole preload thing (I think that was a dumb move, but whatever). The reverse engineering dudes probably cracked it weeks ago. In this case, piracy is not to be blamed. "
    They haven't. You would have seen major game outlets cover it. I have the beta so I guess I own the "game" but obviously its missing a handful of mandatory files still and that's why nobody's cracked it.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Milkman said:
    " It's probably more of a piracy thing. Blizzard is not the company to lack any confidence in their games.  "
    ...I think Battle.net 2.0 is pretty much locked down.  SC2 is more MMO in terms of piracy, sure they'll be hacked servers...but I got a good hunch SC2 will keep pirates at bay with how Battle.net 2.0 works.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pinworm45
    @atomic_dumpling said:
    " @septim said:
     The reverse engineering dudes probably cracked it weeks ago. "
    Even if it was out weeks ago, and it wasn't.. no. 

anyway the reason they probably didn't bother is because the new battle.net is such a huge part of their game, and they want the servers down for upgrades, repairs, maintenance, and preparation. Why bring it up for a few reviewers. I suppose they could have made a single-player only version, but Blizzard obviously doesn't want their multi-player-heavy game reviewed solely for its single player..
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Brodehouse said:

" @Detrian said:

" More like overconfident. They are just retarded and have super inflated egos so they probably consider they don't even need reviews or media attention. "
    They don't. "
    Bingo. They've more than earned the right to do whatever the hell they want to do.
    JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JokerSmilez

Considering how much of the game they've shown and how many people they've let into the beta, there isn't a whole lot of point for a review. The amount of people that are on the fence about Starcraft 2 and are waiting for a review but are too lazy to look up the million or so write ups and videos about the beta is pretty minuscule.  

Blizzard isn't exactly known for lack of confidence in their games. If anything, it's the same story as Red Dead. They know they have a good game, but they also know that there's a possibility of it getting 4 stars instead of 5 (especially with it being a niche game - it may be Starcraft but it's still an RTS, not exactly the most popular game genre), which translates to an 80 on Metacritic and that can drastically effect bonuses, etc for the developers as much of that stuff is tied to Metacritic scores. 

It's not "shady", it's not about lack of confidence in their game (if Blizzard wasn't happy with it, they'd just delay for the 100th time) and it's not about making game sites buy copies (for a game that's guaranteed to sell millions and a company that makes billions, you really think they give a shit about selling maybe an extra couple hundreds copies?), it's just a business decision. Don't read too much into it.

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By TheAdmin

Isn't Brad's semi-review enough? He loves it and would marry it -  I take that to mean it's good.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By KaosAngel

I for one am glad that the Halo Generation won't be picking this up...last thing I need are those kinds of people on Battle.net, and Battle.net is already bad with trolls (me included on bad days). 

The less reviews get out, the less likely people who play Halo Wars will pick it up. 

Keep SC2 the way it's meant to be, with us long time Blizzard fans who grew up with PC gaming. 

Also, fuck the reviews. 

SPOILERS - I bet Brad gives it a 5/5.

TwinkieTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TwinkieTime

It would be funny if Blizzard pulled another Starcraft: Ghost.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By KaosAngel
    @TwinkieTime said:
    " It would be funny if Blizzard pulled another Starcraft: Ghost. "
    Get out.  Now.   

I'm already going through withdrawal, and shaking, and biting my teeth...these are going to be a long 7 days for me.  I've been playing SC2 non-stop for months, and now it's all gone.  I honestly have no idea what to do the entire week.  I tried going outside but my skin started to turn darker, and I went back in due to the infection I got. 

But yeah, no one is gonna care about the SC2 reviews....it will sell more than all Halo games did at their launch.  No one will care what the scores are, and anyone who gives it less than 90% will get threatened by the fanbase.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ryanwho

Im positive it'll be the best reviewed game of the year because reviewers are little kids. Its because they're little kids that they're not getting sent review copies. Someone has to be the guy to give away the story, someone has to be the guy to slips up and gives away a huge twist about a 4th race or something. It happens.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#45  Edited By sjschmidt93

Put a SC2 review in the wrong hands (i.e. a non-PC gamer) and it'll wind up with a 5/10.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By KaosAngel
    @SJSchmidt93 said:
    " Put a SC2 review in the wrong hands (i.e. a non-PC gamer) and it'll wind up with a 5/10. "
    It'd be cute if that site that gave Halo Wars a 90%, reviewed SC2 and gave it in the 60s due to it being too complicated.  >.> 

The hilarious part is, some dude is making a FULL conversion map in the Galaxy Editor to play Halo Wars but make it better and a real game.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ryanwho
    @SJSchmidt93 said:
    " Put a SC2 review in the wrong hands (i.e. a non-PC gamer) and it'll wind up with a 5/10. "
    Only if they go online. Im sure the campaign itself is idiot proof.
    Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Shabs
    @phrosnite said:
    " @Shuborno said:

" Do you need a review to know if you want Starcraft 2? 

I'm going to assume that it's Starcraft... again.   The quality of the single player is irrelevant to my purchasing decision. "

No, I am not buying it but I might win a copy ( really, really slim chance). I'm just curious to see the reviews and most importantly I want this game to flop ^_^ because I'm a 40k fan. Does that make me a bad person? "
    Well, it's not going to flop regardless of review scores, and less Starcraft fans doesn't mean more Dawn of War fans. 

Starcraft isn't popular because it's an RTS, it's just something that clicked at the time, and people like me who don't play RTS games have an interest in it.  For example, I bought Dawn of War II ages ago in a Steam sale, and I've yet to run it once.  I'll be buying Starcraft to co-op against some AI with my friends.  One game involves learning something new and one involves running the executable and playing.

I think it works the same way with Call of Duty.  Do you need to read a single Black Ops review to know that it's going to sell a bazillion copies?  A game like Monday Night Combat wouldn't sell better if CoD was more or less successful in my opinion.
    Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Detrian

This is not really about reviews. It's about Blizzard being dicks with media that has kissed their asses for the better part of a decade and a half.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Detrian said:
    " This is not really about reviews. It's about Blizzard being dicks with media that has kissed their asses for the better part of a decade and a half. "
    How has the media kissed their asses?  Blizzard doesn't NEED media, they're like Valve.  They don't care and all their games kick ass, Blizzard and Valve have never made bad games. 

Blizzard doesn't give a shit about what IGN or GameTrailers or G4 has to say about SC2.  If they bad mouth the game, it'll just prove those reviewers are idiots.  SC is the ONLY RTS still being played daily by millions of players 12 years later...and SC2 will do the same. 

No review is needed, and no body gives a crap about what people score it.  It'll just prove if they suck at RTS games, if they never played a Blizzard game before, or if they're part of that Halo Generation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.