Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Blizzard aren't confident in Starcraft 2?

• 136 results
    rhodric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By rhodric
    @Detrian said:
    " You don't get it man I've won like 20 games I'm super pro so I can say that starcraft 2 is perfect and will be the competitive game of the decade even if I have no fucking idea of any future changes that Blizzard might make or how the competitive scene might be in the following years. "
    because sc2 communities are nonexistent, right? and it doesn't have a huge following already, and every single one of blizzard games hasn't become competitive games that lasts decades, right?

keep on lying to yourself, kid. whatever helps you sleep better at night.
    Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Semition
    @ryanwho said:
    " @rhodric said:
    " @SJSchmidt93:  thank you. like i said, the game isn't balanced towards 2v2s 3v3s. "
    I never said rushes worked in 1v1. I was always talking about 2v2 and 3v3. So I really don't know what you accomplished here other than making high tier players look like assholes. "
    Like I said in a previous post, you can play on a map with a shared base and a shared choke, so the opposing team doesn't gank one of your team-mates. 

But I'm sure you'll find very quickly that the general SC2 community doesn't like this type of map because it almost always ends up in 30+ minute sim-city matches.
    Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103  Edited By Detrian
    @rhodric said:
    " @Detrian said:
    " You don't get it man I've won like 20 games I'm super pro so I can say that starcraft 2 is perfect and will be the competitive game of the decade even if I have no fucking idea of any future changes that Blizzard might make or how the competitive scene might be in the following years. "
    because sc2 communities are nonexistent, right? and it doesn't have a huge following already, and every single one of blizzard games hasn't become competitive games that lasts decades, right? keep on lying to yourself, kid. whatever helps you sleep better at night. "
    "kid" Hah. Says the dude with a cartoon avatar. Breaking news for you: you don't know dick about competitive starcraft, the game is not even out yet and the Blizzard you think you know died a while ago.
    Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Semition

@Detrian said:

" @rhodric said:

" @Detrian said:
    because sc2 communities are nonexistent, right? and it doesn't have a huge following already, and every single one of blizzard games hasn't become competitive games that lasts decades, right? keep on lying to yourself, kid. whatever helps you sleep better at night. "
    "kid" Hah. Says the dude with a cartoon avatar. Breaking news for you: you don't know dick about competitive starcraft, the game is not even out yet and the Blizzard you think you know died a while ago. "
    The Blizzard that died along time ago had pretty much nothing to do with competitive Starcraft...
    Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#105  Edited By MachoFantastico

While it could be a piracy thing, it is odd.  

Having said that, isn't it pretty much Starcraft? It's not exactly re-imaging the franchise so why would they be scared of the reviews. It's pretty much guaranteed to get solid review scores.  

A piracy concern makes more sense, a review copy goes out and some fool scum puts it on a torrent site. Happened so many times with PC games I can totally understand Blizzard for doing this. I would say it is due to piracy, 

rhodric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By rhodric
    @Detrian said:
    " @rhodric said:
    " @Detrian said:
    "kid" Hah. Says the dude with a cartoon avatar. Breaking news for you: you don't know dick about competitive starcraft, the game is not even out yet and the Blizzard you think you know died a while ago. "
    aww isn't that cute. the kid resorts to petty insults. whatever helps you sleep better at night, kid. :)
    Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Semition
    @TrueEnglishGent said:
    "A piracy concern makes more sense, a review copy goes out and some fool scum puts it on a torrent site. Happened so many times with PC games I can totally understand Blizzard for doing this. I would say it is due to piracy,  "
    This is probably the main reason. I'm sure Blizzard won't be very happen if it gets torrented and the entire plot gets spoiled on their forums.

I don't think that there are that many people that are on the fence of buying Starcraft 2 and just waiting for the review.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#108  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Maybe bobby kotick doesn't want to spend the cash on the stamps it takes to send out review copies. He's trying to maxiumize profit.

Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Semition
    @Detrian said:

" @Semition said:

The Blizzard that died along time ago had pretty much nothing to do with competitive Starcraft... "
    Except that thing about "patching" and all that jazz.  "
    The last balance change Blizzard made was I believe in patch 1.08, which was released in 2001. Patches afterwords were to fix exploits and bugs. The two major Starcraft tournaments, MSL and OSL started in 2002. 

So Blizzard really didn't help the professional scene in any significant ways.

This new Blizzard has been much more active in listening community feedback (or at least from Teamliquid) and making balance changes. They've already made more balance changes than SC:BW had during its entire history.
    rhodric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By rhodric
    @Detrian said:
    " @Semition said:
    The Blizzard that died along time ago had pretty much nothing to do with competitive Starcraft... "
    Except that thing about "patching" and all that jazz. 

@rhodric said:
    aww isn't that cute. the kid resorts to petty insults. whatever helps you sleep better at night, kid. :) "
    Oooh look at the gangsta, didn't even play starcraft when it came out and he thinks he is representing. "
    u mad, kid?  e-thug all the way. :) 
    not playing in iccup =/= not playing starcraft. been playing since day 1. put your mind around this simple concept please.

@Semition:  don't feed the troll.
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#111  Edited By demonbear

Here's a review : Its starcraft 1 with better graphics and a few updated gameplay tweaks and the new battlenet, everyone and theyre moms are gonna give this game 9.5/10.

And I won't play it cause I don't give a damn about RTSes.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#112  Edited By Marz

It's pretty much guaranteed a success based on pedigree alone, doesn't matter if the game is good or not they have a huge community and don't really need review scores to help sales for the game.  Nobody cares too much about the single player anyways so review outlets didn't really need an advanced copy of the game since they had a beta of the multiplayer to look at.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By thehexeditor

Blizzard aren't confident in Starcraft 2 because they aren't sending review copies?
    Nah, I don't think so.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#114  Edited By KaosAngel

...so what we fighting about now?  I had to get lunch for a couple hours, and I don't feel like reading a lot of text.   

We still fighting or did we make up?

epicopter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By epicopter

They don't want anyone spoiling it, they know the game is good.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#116  Edited By JJWeatherman

I'm sure this has been mentioned already, but maybe they're doing this so that reviewers will actually have some people to play against in what is the most important mode of the game.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Donos

When you think about it, a day 1 review wouldn't actually be appropriate for Starcraft 2. At the end of the day, 90% of the value in SC2 is its multiplayer, and the multiplayer cannot be properly reviewed until the game is out. Trying to review the game before then would be irresponsible.

noremnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By noremnants

It's just the way their installer and battle.net service is set up. It has a date check and needs an activation key from blizzard to install. Though I wouldn't doubt it if someone at Giant Bomb got sent a pre-release copy by Bob.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#119  Edited By phrosnite
    @JJWeatherman said:

" I'm sure this has been mentioned already, but maybe they're doing this so that reviewers will actually have some people to play against in what is the most important mode of the game. "

I don't think so... Everybody knows the multiplayer is almost the same as in SC1. I bet that if (which is not likely) the SP is mediocre the game won't get scores above 8-8.5

Also... will the leaderboard be reset for the game launch? If so I don't think it will be a good idea to play the MP during the first week.
    Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Semition
    @Donos said:
    " When you think about it, a day 1 review wouldn't actually be appropriate for Starcraft 2. At the end of the day, 90% of the value in SC2 is its multiplayer, and the multiplayer cannot be properly reviewed until the game is out. Trying to review the game before then would be irresponsible. "
    I think almost every major press outlet has had somebody play the SC2 beta. I wouldn't be surprised if they just base their multiplayer review off of that, since the it isn't going to change much going from end-of-beta to release.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Semition said:
    "  I wouldn't be surprised if they just base their multiplayer review off of that, since the it isn't going to change much going from end-of-beta to release. "
    Then you run into the problem of reviewers bitching that the online is too complex and the community is already too good, if they got placed in Copper or Bronze.  I say give it a full week, wait for the UMS to be updated, and see what changes come in the week.  Not much of the reviewers gave Starcraft a perfect score back in the day, and go figure it's the most important RTS in the industry.   

SC2 will be played for 10+ years like SC, I honestly don't care about the reviews and once they do start hinting, I wouldn't be surprised if GameTrailers knocked it down for saying it's not on the 360, GameSpot for crying about difficulty, and IGN asking what this keyboard and mouse setup is.  Oh, 1UP...I completely forgot about them...who knows if they'd even know about the game.
    epicopter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By epicopter
    @Detrian said:
    You weren't in the beta were you?
    fRAWRst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By fRAWRst

Because no matter how amazing an RTS and engine SC2 is, a masterpiece of online tournaments and tactics, there will always be a small amount of people who find themselves disliking it. Even that small percentage may be seen by the huge number of people that are anticipating SC2, and rather risk any sort of pre release bias, they make it so NO ONE can play before next Tuesday, reviewers and consumers alike.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#124  Edited By slax

It could be a lot of things, but it is most definitely not that Blizzard isn't confident in there game. Blizzard wouldn't release it until they felt it's ready, so if it's coming out, then they are ready for it to come out. At least that's how I feel. But I don't need a review to help sway my vote either...

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By pweidman

@Kaos: 
    http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3180293     

All the sites are fully aware and very interested in SC II.  Most have launch centers, video, interviews, previews, and tons of banter on forums.  The game'll be received well across the board, and w/o silly complaints like you mentioned.  I'm most interested in the sp perceptions, as the mp seems a given to be a standard for rts games and will be played for years.
    Avatar image for griefersstolemykeyboard
    griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

we really need reviews to tell us that "hey its starcraft, remember the first one? That was pretty k this one is pretty much the same but has better graphics."

BobC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By BobC
    @phrosnite: 
    BobC from Blizzard here. The reason we aren't giving any reviewers early access to the game is quite simple.

It is impossible.

StarCraft II, like most if not all PC games these days, requires a 1-time online activation to decrypt the installer and activate the game for play. The live Battle.net servers to support the launch will not and cannot be switched on until launch day. This is a global launch, people. This game is shipping in 11 different languages across five continents. Trying to arrange for early press access in something like 30+ countries AND get thousands of reviewers to all agree to a fair embargo date is nigh but impossible.  The sensible solution is to give press the same access as everyone else gets.

More importantly, wouldn't you want reviews to be based on the same user experience that you the player will get on a retail environment? Perhaps you have your question backwards -- why does everyone else have their games reviewed in a clean, uncluttered preretail online environment and not the same environment that the consumers will experience?

Edit: And to clarify, we are sending out review copies to hundreds of media outlets in the US alone. Some get boxes, some get download codes. These arrive by Monday. We just can't fulfill every single request.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By pweidman

Well that answers that.  Thanks BobC from Blizzard.  Sounds like one hell'uva lot of coordinating and launch is pretty much kaos for Blizzard I guess.  Brad gets one Monday I hope.  For those who care, I bet he'll have a review up by the weeks end.  Right Brad?  ;)
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Brad
    @pweidman:  I'll be playing as much StarCraft II as possible next week once the game goes live (woe is me!). As always, we'll post the review as soon as it's ready.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By KaosAngel
    @BobC: Holy crap!  BobC posts here!  GB is officially cooler than NeoGAF now. 
    @Brad:  I'm expecting no less than a 5 Star rating, would I be right with this assumption?  >:]
    BobC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By BobC
    @ryanwho said:
    " @KaosAngel: Or maybe they played some modern RTSs and think SC2 feels archaic in some ways. I mean, rushes still work. There's still not really a great defense against it. Like, if you go into a 2v2 or 3v3 against a team of Zerg, and they all decide to rush, you're going to lose. Even if you build a series of bases near each other and surround it with bunkers or something. Same old shit still works, I don't care what contrived nuance high tier players have given the game. If it were really so expertly balanced, I wouldn't have been downloading a new patching every other day during the beta. You thought the game was perfect before they even put the first patch up, so obviously your idea of perfection is flawed. Just sayin. "
    3v3 cheese is not a measure of game balance for a professional RTS. I'm just sayin'
    tahnit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By tahnit

screw gamespot. I listened to that very podcast and was disgusted at how console bias Tom was. He put the game down at every turn and said "no one buys pc games anymore" and "everyone will just pirate it" Very disgusting for a professional reviews site. He even went as far as to say it will "be blizzards first flop".

Screw gamespot.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By KaosAngel
    @BobC: What are you guys gonna do about Korea?  The premier stations still trying to sue and whatnot?  I understand that's why Blizzard had to make Battle.net 2.0 and the reason they took out LAN, but it would suck if SC2 didn't take off as it should due to everyone sticking with iccup and korean players refusing to join up the new Battle.net.

Oh what the hell happens to iccup now?!  Please tell me you'll allow them to have their own ladders in the new Battle.net, it wouldn't be SC without iccup.  >.>
    Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Donos
    @Tahnit said:

" screw gamespot. I listened to that very podcast and was disgusted at how console bias Tom was. He put the game down at every turn and said "no one buys pc games anymore" and "everyone will just pirate it" Very disgusting for a professional reviews site. He even went as far as to say it will "be blizzards first flop".  Screw gamespot. "

Buddy. It's a podcast. They're supposed to be unprofessional and opinionated. If those comments were supposed to represent the views of gamespot as a whole, or anything other than a personal opinion, it would written up as a feature on the website.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#135  Edited By Pie
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Who ever gives SC2 a score lower than an aggregate of 90%, will get the shit flamed out of them.  Going on TL, and Kpop Forums...it's pretty much confident that this will be the RTS for the next 10 years.  Reviewers might hit it for being too hard, or "being the same", but in reality...SC2 is the perfect RTS.  Having been in the beta since March, I can say this (along with GT5) are the only two games I even care about in 2010 and 2011.    "
    What about Halo:Reach? Shit has banshees in it
    secretagent099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By secretagent099

Day 1 purchase for me. The beta was superb, except for the annoying server issues/lag but that's expected in every beta.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.