Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Broken ladder system?

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JokerSmilez

I just read this article on Gamastura and am kind of worried as the article describes the ladder system to be pretty flawed.

Anyone out there have significant enough experience with the Beta to confirm this? Do you think this is just a problem of the smaller sample size of the beta testing group? Do you think Blizzard will address this before the game's retail release?

One of the reasons I stopped playing Starcraft multiplayer competitively (outside of Use Map Settings maps, which I still play) was because I found I was constantly getting destroyed by players much better than me. When I heard that the new Battle.net was going to have a robust matchmaking and ladder system, I was excited. Now I'm worried that it's broken like seemingly every over matchmaking service in the world. If Blizzard can't get that right, who can??

TsuHai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TsuHai

Remember that SC2 is still in beta.  
    I have no doubt Blizzard will take this unique opportunity to be the company selling the new eSports-Hit.  
    They will definitely take their time and choose wisely.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#3  Edited By StarvingGamer

Well, after playing almost 200 matches my 2v2 partner and I are sitting squarely at the top of our Gold division which is where we started after our placement matches.  So far, the experience has been extremely positive.  The matchmaking has worked well for us with our win-loss record being split an almost perfect 50-50.  We've experienced very few games where we've totally dominated and very few games where we were clearly outclassed. 

What makes me even more hopeful is the fact that we've managed to have this experience despite the relatively small pool of players currently participating in the beta and the fact that we play almost exclusively after 12PM Pacific time, when most everyone has gone to sleep.  Right now the overall game population is skewing very far towards the hardest of core players, with many casual SC fans either unaware or uninterested in the beta.  Once the game hits retail and Blizzard has exponentially more players to pull from for matchmaking purposes, it's going to get even better.

Of course no system is perfect, and you'll always end up with a few mismatches, but I have confidence that Battle.net is going to be the new gold standard for online multiplayer matchmaking services.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.