Changing from Protoss to Zerg

#1 Posted by Spectreman (232 posts) -

After a long time playing Protoss I changed for Zerg.

The first thing is that all just fun again. Sliding from Platinum to Silver. Don´t care :)

The second thing is that Zerg seems to have much more options. I can rush zerglings, zerglings with speed, banneling, or crazy expand, or go heavy roaches.

The third thing is that hard learn the timing and when produce drones. I died many games with 1500 minerals in the banking.

The forth thing is that Protoss die a lot if you attack with a bunch of lings in the beginning, even if they wall with 1 or 2 zealots.

The fifth is that I suck a lot in the game and suck even bad against Terran. They wall with siege tanks and bankers, circle the main with turrets and kill my army with a strong push while 2 dropships kill my entire base.

#2 Posted by Skytylz (4031 posts) -

I still play protoss in 1v1, but for custom games and team games I almost always do random anymore.

#3 Posted by TruthTellah (8723 posts) -

You'll figure out the timings eventually. Just focus on those larva inject timings and make sure you don't underuse great units like roaches and mutas, especially against Terrans.

Keep at it! :)

#4 Posted by MentalDisruption (1621 posts) -

Good luck, I'm making the same switch as well.

#5 Posted by gamefreak9 (2356 posts) -

The thing with Zerg is looking at the clock, if its been 6 minutes and you don't see a terran expo then your probably facing a 3 rax, get those banes and 2-3 spines. If he hasn't pushed and its been 8 min, then get ur third, if he hasn't pushed and he hasn't expanded, prepare for invisible/air.

#6 Posted by supermike6 (3556 posts) -

I played Protoss for a couple months when I first started playing, then made the same switch as you. I like Zerg a lot more most of the time, but sometimes ZvZ's make me sick, and for a while I would die to any Protoss pressure every time. Zerg can be a very fragile race depending on how you play it, and when someone hits a timing when you have zero units it can be kind of frustrating haha. GLHF! I've always wanted to try switching to Terran, but my Terran is so god-awful that I barely even know where to start.

#7 Posted by CJduke (788 posts) -

I've been thinking about making this switch too. I've played Protoss since the game came out and I have been stuck in Platinum for nearly a year. Protoss just feels really restrictive unless you are great at micro harass with stargate (which I completely suck at).

#8 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -

@CJduke said:

I've been thinking about making this switch too. I've played Protoss since the game came out and I have been stuck in Platinum for nearly a year. Protoss just feels really restrictive unless you are great at micro harass with stargate (which I completely suck at).

warp prism drops!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.